Gary Con XII - Event Data Analysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I think RPEX is the 6d6 studio live dungeon like think.

Handy Haversack likes this.
  2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thank you
    Yes please! Thanks

The Josrian likes this.
  3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Since event submissions are closed...this should be mostly static until event registration changes things...

As of 2020-01-31_08-16-27

number of events: 1,972

total_seats: 15,046, available_seats: 7,353

number of badges 2,157

4. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

As of 2020-02-01_10-50-27

number of events: 1,969

total_seats: 15,024, available_seats: 7,342

number of badges 2,178

5. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

I guess the Diamond selection went off? At any rate, seats are taken, though it seems like the "Sold Count" in the CSV has not updated. There are even Diamond badges waitlisted for things, believe it or not. Will they (and subsequent Platinum and Gold waitlistees) have to wait until after Silver registration before they can see if any seats are open?

6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I was thinking about that earlier this week. Ideally, once you have a week to get your events, you would be blocked until after Silver registration.

Otherwise, higher badge types could jump back in when additional seats get released, possibly outrace people to it, and the event winds up being filled entirely with higher badge types, which the gradual release of seats was intended to prevent.

Not sure if that's been implemented (or considered).

7. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

I imagine there is no filtering by badge type, just staggered seat opening. So anyone with an active (at that time) badge will be able to snap up seats which open coincidentally at the same time that platinum/gold/silver registration happens.

I did notice one weird event. The Celebrity Cthulhu Invictus game has 4 seats max. So only 2 (50%) should have opened for diamonds. But 3 people are signed up. Anyone know what's up with that?

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Huh...that is...odd. I agree, that shouldn't have happened. Ideally, only 1 should have been opened. That way at least 1 seat would be open for each badge level.

9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

time to grab the data and see what I can see...

I really didn't look at max_tickets and compared to available before.

10. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Is it possible the GM gave a seat to someone? That can happen, though I don't know how the system handles it.

11. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

As of 2020-02-03_07-49-16

number of events: 1,969

total_seats: 15,030, available_seats: 7,263

number of badges 2,200

12. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

For any folks coming over from FB looking for my webapp. Here's the info:

https://www.gizmomathboy.com/

u: gary
    p: gygax

You can save your searches and such, but since it is a public account others can save and edit things on it, too.

You can save search results to various file types as well.

13. Handy Haversack

@Skip , do you know whether Diamond registration is turned off for Platinum and Platinum for Gold, etc.?

14. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Handy, once a badge level is unlocked it stays unlocked. So Diamonds get a chance at the seats unlocked at Platinum and so on.

I would have to try to code the method you suggested....doable but...oof.

15. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Locking down badges would disadvantage platinum and gold badges on events where a few available tickets remain.

Example 1: an event that started with 4 available tickets. It was popular so now only 2 tickets remain after diamond badge registration. One ticket will be released with gold badge registration and one ticket will be released with silver badge registration.

Example 2: an event that started with 6 available tickets. It was popular so now only 3 tickets remain after diamond badge registration. One ticket will be released with gold badge registration and two tickets will be released with silver badge registration.

Example 3: an event that started with 8 available tickets. It was popular so now only 4 tickets remain after diamond badge registration. One ticket will be released with platinum badge registration, one ticket will be released with gold badge registration, and two tickets will be released with silver badge registration.

Two other issues you would run into. People not able to attend would be unable to return tickets and what would you do with events being added after diamond badge registration? So far, two new events have been added this week.

16. Handy Haversack

Yes, but. The rich-get-richer component here is that there are right now Diamonds on waitlists for some events because a limited number of seats were released for them. When more seats are released for the Platinums, there's nothing stopping the Diamonds from getting them. And so on down the line. Their ability to register should be suspended for one day -- the day the Plats register. And then both should be suspended the day the Golds do it. And everyone but Silvers should be locked out the one day the Silvers are first able to register. Otherwise, all the system does is fill up the most popular events with the wealthiest tickets. It's disingenuous to say those badge levels would be disadvantaged. Their advantage is redeemed the day they are able to register for games before the cheaper badges can.

Poindexter likes this.
  17. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Their advantage is that they have access to registration earlier. Full stop. Trust me when I tell you we (a group of people who like to crunch data about GaryCon events/registration) have been kicking this around since it was first announced - and if you take away the ability of Gold badges to register on the Standard's first day, you water down the value of the Gold to next to nothing. In fact, Standard would have a greater number of seats released to them, per table, than Gold (in most cases) - for an 8 seat table it would go 4, 1, 1, 2. So Platinum and Gold lose the value of early access if they are not allowed to continue as new seats are released.

Hell, as it is I'm going to have to battle not only the other 342 Gold badges, but the 43 High Rollers (12 Diamond, 31 Platinum) who all get access to that one extra seat that becomes available when Gold gets access...

I think it would be a nightmare to lock down individual badge types. I'd let this year play out and see what happens - then adjust the percentages released (maybe a nice even 2/2/2/2 progression for an eight person table).

Poindexter and Handy Haversack like this.
  18. Vort

Vort Level 0 Character

Does the system fill newly opened seats from the waitlist automatically? If so, that would be a huge disadvantage to later badges, and not really be in the spirit of everyone having equal opportunity when a new badge level opens up. Or do seats get filled from the waitlist only after a certain date?

Handy Haversack likes this.
  19. Handy Haversack

OK -- but I reserve the right to both mumble and grumble.

Good question, @Vort !

20. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

The waitlist just gets you an email if a seat opens up. It does not automatically put you into a game, you still need to add the ticket to your cart. If I recall, everyone on the list gets an email and it is first-come for the seat. Of course, it is open for everyone with a badge level able to register regardless of waitlist status, although being waitlisted allows you to know the seat has opened immediately. What it can do is hold your place in the event of no-shows at the table, but even this is variable. Some GMs will offer open seats in the waitlist order, others do not use it, offering the open seat to the first person who wants it.