Grand Geneva Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Racich, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Blake Racich

Blake Racich Level 0 Character

Anyone have a good reference map for the Grand Geneva...specifically with Westgate in/on it? Can't seem to determine where Westgate is located? Is Westgate near the Forums?

Thanks in advance.

2. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Westgate is way down the end towards the forums. just before you get the place where you turn right and walk through the large lobby and then out into the forums proper. map.jpg

3. Blake Racich

Much appreciated.

I'm requesting more games held either in the 'main bar' or in the indoor pool area.

But, would anyone also know why all of the Adventures League games are in the Forum this year whereas it was in the Evergreen room(s) before?

I just recall the Forums being void of good food service and LOUD!

None the less....fun will be had...just curious on the overall movement / shifting of games.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

5. Blake Racich

Jarlaxle likes this.
  6. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Although it is speculation, I believe AL was moved to the forum because it essentially outgrew everything else.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  7. Blake Racich

Yeah, that is exactly what I thought.

With that in mind I hope that they have fixed the food service from years past.

And again...fun will be had. All good....

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I liked the Forums. I think the high ceiling helped a lot with the sound.

Food service was better than it was 2 years ago, but it still had room to improve.

But yeah, AL needs a lot of space this year compared to prior years.

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Huh, sorry. I didn't check, but assumed it would be there. It's right next to the Forum, which is shown. Definitely weird.

10. Zenopus

Zenopus Level 0 Character

I enjoyed having some games down in the Forum last year. The walk was good exercise, which is hard to fit in at a con.

I'm running two sessions this year and the Fri morning one is in Westgate A, so I'll still get to head down that way once even if I don't play in any 5E games. As noted by mordrin, the Westgate Rooms are in the hallway right before the final turn to the forum areas. They are in a row, C to A, with A being the last before the Forums. I'm going by the map in last year's program book.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

https://garycon.com/attend-gary-con/

Poindexter and mordrin like this.
  12. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I recall it had been in Maple Lawn (~6300 sq. ft.) before...the Forum (at almost 14,000 sq. ft!) is more than twice the size.

13. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

We actually hadn't outgrown our space, but I have, and convention management has, a great amount of optimism regarding our chances to fill that space with players.

The impetus to move was more of a domino effect based on the increased interest in vendors and the expansion of the vendor area.

Poindexter likes this.
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Where is the vendor room this year?

15. mwisconsin

Same place as always, it's just much bigger.

16. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

AL was run in Evergreen last year. Maple C was Legends.

It looks like they nixed Maple Lawn C and added that to the Dealer's Hall.

IMHO, I think it's accurate to say that several things changed that caused AL to move to The Forums. First is aforementioned domino effect: Maple C gets added to Dealer Hall. This leaves Legends without a space.

But it's also an issue of growth and space.

Last year, Legends had 85 events in the 2805 sq ft of Maple C. This year, they have 88 events. Throw in Legio V* and that's another 28 games, for a total of 116 events, a 27% increase. That would translate to 3562 sq. ft. Evergreen 1+2 has 4224. Also, add in to this the fact that many of these games are much larger setups.

Last year, Evergreen 1+2 was basically AL. That's 4224 sq. ft. for 328 Events. This year AL has 549 events, a 67% increase. That translates roughly to about 7K sq. ft. Evergreen 1+2+3 is 6480 sq. ft. AL would have been bursting at the seems even with all 3 of the Evergreen rooms set up as one space. Imagine what it is going to be in the future...

It just seems to make the most sense given the available contiguous spaces, future growth, etc.

Note: I'm nobody official. I've just been here a long time and have many of the spreadsheets and data from previous years. This speculation is based on that information and a few guesses.

* (Many of the Legio V hosts were asked to be in Legends)

Poindexter likes this.
  17. mwisconsin

Just a side note that AL scheduled (I scheduled) enough games to fill the space we were given this year in the Forums. We didn't have a requirement of expanding beyond Evergreen I-II-III.

18. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I'm not even sure what this means. Are you saying you would have had less events if you remained in the Evergreen rooms?

19. mwisconsin

That is correct. We were given 42 tables this year, so that's what I scheduled. If we were set up in Evergreen I-II-III, I would have scheduled for the tables in those rooms.

I'm optimistic of our chances to fill those tables, but I don't believe we needed those 42 tables.

20. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I have to ask, why would you have wanted to schedule less events - just to stay in Evergreen?

You are the head of AL, right? Wouldn't you want to expand as much as possible?