New registration process thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Feb 9, 2020.

1. jim

jim Level 0 Character

I have a gold badge again this year. If anything, I felt like I had more options during registration this year than last. I also like that every event will have seats left this weekend for folks with silver badges, and it seems like no GMs are losing out on players because of limits on featured events. Not sure what the preemptive complaining was about.

Scott308, sir jon, mordrin and 2 others like this.
  2. Cloak n' Dagger

Cloak n' Dagger Level 0 Character

I have a gold, I managed to get into all 10 of the events I was shooting for. Admittedly, only two of them were "celeb", "legends", or any of the other more sought after events, but still, with my badge, I got what I wanted. With the prior year process, events could be sold out before gold register, and even more, events would sell out before silver had the chance to register. At least this year, every person with a badge will have a slight chance to get into a game event. That's a good thing, imo. Some years you get what you want and some you don't, that's life.

"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender, The Breakfast Club

3. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

Indeed! Had a lot of fun at your Hyperborea game so looking forward to pulling up a chair.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I remember both those incidents. You guys are HARDCORE Gary Con Goers. Thanks for coming and being a part of it each year. It would be weird without you guys and Jon Johnson and a handful of others that were there since it was like 200 people.

Poindexter and jim skach like this.
  5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Have we worked out how many of us have been there since GC I?

6. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I suspect there’s about 20 of us. Just a guess. We should figure it out someday.

7. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  8. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

There has to be more than that.

9. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

ya, do it! so the rest of us can sit around you and stare with admiration.

10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

There were only like 125 at GC I. About 250 at GaryCon II.

It's a smaller number than you might think. Maybe as many as 40? But I seriously know like 10, just personally, from GC I who missed later ones.

11. mordrin

I dunno.
    My personal recollection was about 100ish, but I dug deep into the Forum and found a post from Luke saying about 165.

I'm sure there's plenty of examples like above, where some hardcores had to miss 1-2, but I'd be kind of surprised if at least 1/3 of that 165 hasn't made them all.

12. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Then again, how many who went to I stayed for the second day (of the one-day event)?

13. howandwhy99

howandwhy99 Level 0 Character

There was almost no one on Sunday. I would say 30 tops. And most of them being friends and family. I think a lot of people just forgot it was 2 days.

Many of the Sunday attendees were from a big family and friends contingent. It wasn't obvious at the start, IIRC, but all the people serving at the bar and food line Saturday seemed to know each other. Everyone else being largely strangers to each other.

I don't know who went to the memorial the year before. I think there might have been some LGGC, Lake Geneva Gaming Convention attendees there, something I never attended. You might find many who attended GaryCon 1 from their records.

14. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

Seems like it's going pretty well so far, amiright?

sir jon likes this.
  15. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

hmmmm seems a little buggy today.

16. mordrin

:oops:

I don't know if any of that is related to the GaryCon process, though.

The staggered release opened up new seats correctly for the other 3 phases, so I'm guessing it's purely a TTE problem that would have happened no matter what.

Handy Haversack likes this.
  17. Zenopus

Zenopus Level 0 Character

Where's the laugh-in-response-to-understatement emoji?

I did manage to get a bunch of tickets I wanted in the 2nd round, but couldn't check out. They are supposed to stay in the cart now until registration opens up again.

FYI, there's a poll up on the FB group for what time next weekend they should re-open registration:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/58339157369/permalink/10158117186772370/