Gary Con and Grand Geneva Partner to Mitigate Risks to Attendees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

2. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Is there a list of the games that have been canceled so far floating around somewhere?

What will happen when several more GM’s decide not to attend, canceling their games and making their attendees scramble for the remaining scraps?

Is there a contingency in place for that? Are there any games that didn’t make the schedule sitting in a queue somewhere that can be brought in as backups to the ones being canceled?

3. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

If there are people organizing games in the spots where there are voids, I might be able to help out with one or two.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  4. Wil_Upchurch

Wil_Upchurch Level 0 Character

Thanks, great work and communication!

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Ideally, things would work out evenly in regard to available spots.

That is, if 10% of GMs cancelled and 10% of play-only attendees cancelled, you would have enough seats open up from attendees not showing that attendees who still came, but had a game cancelled by the GM, could switch into those slots.

However, that requires 1) proportionally even amounts of cancellation and 2) everyone to communicate their actions promptly to allow others to adjust.

It's hard to know about (1) and impossible to control.
    For (2), clearly some GMs don't know who to contact if they are cancelling (and I don't either). And I'm dubious that people cancelling can give much notice, as decisions are being made very last minute. Brand new policies at workplaces and at governmental levels are getting made all over as I type.

Possibly 'backup event scheduling' can be done, but I doubt there's much to be done there (officially, anyway). Most people who were unable to get an event accepted probably haven't prepped it enough to jump in on short notice. And GaryCon personnel are probably tied up in other preparatory activities. Ad hoc fill-ins, absolutely.

A few thoughts:

* When you do make decisions, communicate as quickly and fully as possible. Return your personal event tickets in the TTE system so openings show. Contact GC staff so that your events can be officially removed.

* Be prepared to use the GaryCon Walk Up Table Flags more than ever (green = room for more players, red = full).

* Bring games that can be played unscheduled, using the Open Gaming space.

* Utilize the Gaming Library

Jarlaxle likes this.
  7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

A board showing cancelled events somewhere online would be of help since the events are spread out. It would be ashamed to travel to Casades only to find out your second choice at the forum should have been your first choice at trying to fill an empty seat.

Jarlaxle and mordrin like this.
  8. mordrin

If the event is known to be cancelled in advance, it ought to be cancelled in TTE, so people can see it there.
    But I'm guessing it would never occur to a lot of people to check for cancellations. Having a list in a prominent place could be good to get attention and get them thinking about it.
    Also, there will probably be no-shows that don't notify GC Staff and don't make it into the system.

9. mordrin

@Melf
    I realize this may be too last minute for this, but -

There was previous discussion at https://forums.garycon.com/communit...he-good-the-bad-the-ugly-feedback.2001/page-2
    about how to work the food service, based on efficiency. In light of the Coronavirus issue, I think it could be really helpful if they were able to modify how they handle the ordering and payment.

In the past, GG servers would take your credit card, disappear for 15 minutes or so, then eventually bring the card back to you.
    This means the congoer is touching the card with their fingers, then the server touches it with their fingers, then back to the congoers fingers again. Lots of touching and transmission opportunity.

At many stores now, the payment terminal is right by the register, and the employee never handles the card. Portables are available and used the same way - Portillo's (large Chicago area fast food chain) has on foot employees in their drive thru lane with small portable payment terminals and never touch your card. They punch in amounts, hold it out, you swipe.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  10. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Handheld cc terminals are a great idea.

It would be nice to see the tableside menu so people can bring smaller bills in the appropriate amounts so the number of exchanges is minimized.

11. Vort

Vort Level 0 Character

Do you not have to enter PIN numbers on the keypad?

Also, can I suggest that washroom doors be propped open where possible (with consideration to privacy) to avoid having to touch the door after washing one's hands? (unless they're push-to-get-out doors rather than push-to-get-in)

Jarlaxle likes this.
  12. mordrin

Only if you are using debit cards instead of credit cards - which experts consistently suggest you don't, which I've been telling my wife for years, but does she listen? Wait, what was the question again?

Vort likes this.
  13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

14. Malchor

Malchor Level 0 Character

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) recommends that all non-essential gatherings of 250 or more people be cancelled or postponed statewide to help protect Wisconsinites from the spread of COVID-19, particularly those who are most vulnerable to infection and severe disease. DHS supports the decisions of any event organizers that elect to cancel or postpone events with less than 250 attendees in order to protect their communities. Organizers should consider the following:​
      • Potential for attendance from older adults, individuals with underlying health care conditions, or other vulnerable groups
      • Potential for attendance from individuals from a wide range of geographic areas across Wisconsin, the United States, or other countries
      • The setting of the event, particularly if it involves sustained interaction between attendees in close physical proximity
    By implementing limitations on mass gatherings DHS is intending to slow the spread of this epidemic to a level such that the healthcare system is able to maintain quality care for patients. Mass gatherings during an outbreak of a particularly infectious disease such as COVID-19 have the potential to result in large numbers of ill people that can quickly overwhelm local hospitals and clinics. ​

Source: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/dph/memos/communicable-diseases/2020-05.pdf

Many special guests fall under the first bullet, nearly everyone falls under the second bullet, and all attendees fall under the last bullet.

Peet and Jarlaxle like this.
  15. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

But probably not enough to cover the cover, in a financial sense, if it cancels. Not enough to get out of contract or trigger any insurance claims (for the con or the hotel).

Jarlaxle likes this.
  16. silas

silas Chevalier

Unfortunately, I had to cancel for this year. Too much risk for me to show up, and I am worried the whole thing is going to get shut down

who do we email to cancel the events we are running?

17. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

I will be completely shocked if this thing isn't shut down eventually. Just too much going against us at this point. :(

mordrin and Jarlaxle like this.
  18. Vort

Vort Level 0 Character

I don't envy GC organizers their job and the stresses they must be going through right now. They've been very responsive and clear about the situation, and sounds like they've been adapting appropriately. It was to be my first GC this year, and my first large RPG event ever which I chose over GenCon because of the size, focus, and everything I had read about the atmosphere and friendliness of everyone at GC. I had scored a gold badge and all the games I had wanted with the Goodman Crew for some serious DCC schooling with some time leftover for old school D&D, try wargaming, meet other RPers, listen to some people, meet some fantastic artists, spend a whole lot o money at vendor tables, and just experience the whole thing. So I was definitely looking forward to participating! But now I am increasingly thinking I will have to skip, either because of international travel risks (coming from Canada, border controls, possibly bringing home the virus), or in the event Wisconsin shuts down the event.

Note that if I cancel (likely), it's due to international travel and the risk of bringing something home to family and friends. It is *not* due to the way GaryCon has been dealing with this.

Not to bring the fb debate here, but, whatever happens, I think GC organizers are doing a fantastic job handling something like this (and are doing much better on the communication outside of just fb!), and if they're forced to cancel, I don't expect my badge to be refunded. I saw and agreed to the terms. I was even one of the fortunate to get a gold badge this year, which could easily not happen next time. It sucks, majorly, but things could be a lot worse.

Good luck all! I seriously hope it won't be cancelled and that everyone enjoys it and stays healthy!

@Melf - I hope there's consideration for moving games online. I know it's not ideal, as RPGs are best played at the table and not on the computer, but it'd be better than nothing. And if I stay home, I'll be wanting to do some serious nonstop gaming to keep my mind off what could've been. :) And I know it's covered in the policy but could gold badges at least get the swag shipped as a consolation prize? :)

Malchor and mordrin like this.
  19. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Judging from https://garycon.com/contact/

I would suggest [email protected]

20. Peet

Peet Level 0 Character

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) recommends that all non-essential gatherings of 250 or more people be canceled or postponed statewide to help protect Wisconsinites from the spread of COVID-19, particularly those who are most vulnerable to infection and severe disease. DHS supports the decisions of any event organizers that elect to cancel or postpone events with less than 250 attendees in order to protect their communities. Organizers should consider the following:
    Potential for attendance from older adults, individuals with underlying health care conditions, or other vulnerable groups
    Potential for attendance from individuals from a wide range of geographic areas across Wisconsin, the United States, or other countries
    The setting of the event, particularly if it involves sustained interaction between attendees in close physical proximity
    By implementing limitations on mass gatherings DHS is intending to slow the spread of this epidemic to a level such that the healthcare system is able to maintain quality care for patients. Mass gatherings during an outbreak of a particularly infectious disease such as COVID-19 have the potential to result in large numbers of ill people that can quickly overwhelm local hospitals and clinics.

At this point, it’s irresponsible and arrogant to ignore the CDC and your government and to think that your event with more than 250 attendees is immune to the Coronavirus. We all love playing at GaryCon but don’t let the greed cloud your judgment. It will do more harm than good in the near future.

Blake Racich likes this.