Gary Con and Grand Geneva Partner to Mitigate Risks to Attendees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Mar 7, 2020.

1. jonsnod

jonsnod Level 0 Character

As if GaryCon were some massively profitable endeavor, loaded with celebrities sneering at the “common gamer”.
    This is a small con with massive overhead: no one is filling their pockets from GaryCon (except, maybe, the hotel owners). I wouldn’t be surprised to hear Luke’s at a net loss from the last 12 years.
    I’ve been going for 6 years and it’s obvious GaryCon is a labor of love: Luke, Carolyn, Skip, and all the others bust their asses to provide an amazing experience for 2000+ people. Suggesting they’re just doing this for the bucks is ignorant of the financial realities of running a convention and insulting to their dedication.

Melf, Jarlaxle, Navar and 1 other person like this.
  2. EOTB

EOTB Level 0 Character

I've came to GC for several years, and in many of them I've ran into Luke and been thanked for coming. I don't think "Peet" has ever run anything larger than a game of D&D in their life.

I cancelled a week ago willing to eat the badge cost and travel expenses already laid out. In life, sometimes you don't get what you've paid for because that's the smarter thing to do at the time. Badge cost is minimal - less than picking up the check at lunch. And if you can't do that, you shouldn't be spending your money on a con.

I'd rather eat the badge cost than imperil the future of the con. If its run like most events, they wouldn't be in the black until the walk-up money came in. Everything collected to that point is usually paid out to others. I'd rather the businesses the con uses keep that money because Lord knows they're likely going to lose a lot more than that in the next while.

Everyone is going to take some losses. We might lose a badge fee. I guarantee you'll recover from that quicker than any other stakeholder would recover from what they'd have to lose instead to keep us from a financial injury equivalent to losing and replacing a couple of your AD&D hardbacks in 1980.

3. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Check out VTT.garycon.com

Vort and Malchor like this.
  4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

You are sorely misinformed. And you must not come to Gary Con or you’d know we have donated $20,000 to Extra Life and Wounded Warrior in the last two cons. And more to other worthy causes in previous years. I have never made anything close to minimum wage for the hours put in. In fact I have invested my own money to make it happen. So it’s not me I’m looking out for. It’s the con. Please troll elsewhere.

Jarlaxle, Vort, JediSoth and 10 others like this.
  5. Peet

Peet Level 0 Character

Thank you for the clarification. Condolences for the cancellation of GaryCon.