Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottmbruner, Jul 14, 2020.

1. scottmbruner

scottmbruner Level 0 Character

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to check in to see if there's any news about GaryCon XIII, and reserving rooms at the Grand Geneva, etc etc etc.

GaryCon is our family's annual vacation - and this year has been such an extreme #$(*show, we'd love to have something to look forward to. I noticed there's a new logo on the site, but nothing else.

Anyone else hear any news!?! We can't wait...and are ready to start believing in 2021.

- Apshai

Jarlaxle and Poindexter like this.
  2. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

On the FB page it's been stated to be the exact same weekend next year as this. But, the resort is not taking reservations and is still closed, so nothing is progressing on that front.

Then again, it is FB, so take that for what it's worth.

3. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Whether people choose to believe it or not, there is currently an unchecked pandemic raging through the country with no end whatsoever in sight.....in the middle of summer.

I don’t mean to be Debbie Downer here, but with the way we stubborn “Mercans” are handling this situation so far, and with the real cold and flu season still lingering on the horizon, there is zero possibility we shall see gatherings of 5,000 people again anytime soon.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

1) Nothing wrong with this post, but I'm going to caution people in advance not to turn conversation into a politically charged debate, because it frequently goes that way quickly in other forums.

2) I share your pessimism right now. There's 8 months until the next GaryCon would occur and 5-6 until purchase of (usually) nonrefundable badges, which would be about 12.5 and 10 months respectively since the pandemic started. For reference, the best modern comparison we have (1918 "Spanish" Flu) was still nasty for ~15 months from the point of breakout. And in all cases, March is one of the worst months incidence-wise.
    I can't see myself mingling with people in close quarters for four hours at a time or putting up money in January for a con I probably won't go to (whether it ends up being held or canceled). :(

5. Kubo

Kubo Level 0 Character

I’d like to attend this convention again next year (preferably not virtually). If we’re not back to some semblance of normal after a year, that would be sad. But I suspect there will be later registration, attendees may only attend 1 or 2 days instead of all 4, fewer games, fewer reserved seats for games (more open seats), maybe a younger crowd, and fewer long distance travelers. All-in-all, it will likely feel like a newer convention where you can just show up and sit in any game you want.

6. scottmbruner

scottmbruner Level 0 Character

I thought I was pessimistic - and even I just assumed that next March should be okay. Guess I shouldn't. Super shame to not have it two consecutive years :( but what can you do.

7. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

From what I read, badges are to go on sale in October. Has anyone heard anything about what percentage of the 2020 badge fees will roll over towards the purchase of a 2021 badge?

8. mordrin

Nope.
    Where did you see October?

It appears they are planning a stronger Online portion for 2021, but still planning on having in-person (as of now).
    Not sure if there will be 2 separate registrations or same badge for everything? Same price for either, or different, or one charge for both? Would discount apply only to 2021 in person? Could you roll it to 2022, if you feel unsafe attending in 2021?
    Much is unknown (to me, anyway).

Poindexter likes this.
  9. mordrin

10. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

it is very unclear.

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Or, in effect, feel like the early days of the show when we did the same. All positice thoughts, always forward.

Kubo likes this.
  12. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

If GaryCon returns to the days where we just show up and game...boy, what a shame that would be :D

Go Commando. Let Go. The Zen of GaryCon.

Kubo and sir jon like this.
  13. mordrin

So...

13 is also now Virtual only
    https://garycon.com/material-gary-con-2021-cancelled/

It's unfortunate, but definitely the right call, and better made sooner than later.
    Things are already getting crazy and absolutely no signs of topping out yet.

Cheers to Luke

Poindexter likes this.