Which Chris Clark adventure do you want to see at GC3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Aug 21, 2010.

?

Which Chris Clark adventure do you want to see at GC3?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2010.
  1. Forest of Spears (bloodymage)

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Statue of Limitations (lucailario)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Kraken Time (Dale)

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Frozen Entry (Rhuvein)

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Donal

Donal Administrator

The previous thread is:
    http://www.garycon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=421

Here are the 4 ideas. Feel free to vote and comment as necessary.

1) Kraken Time
    Submitted by Dale:
    How about a scenario in which the characters are on a boat and get sucked into a magical whirlpool (rift in the physical plane?) and gets dumped into another area (same plane to account for the water displacement) and has been receiving ships for the past couple hundred years. Have the area magically imbued (a la Journey to the Center of the Earth & Behind the Looking Glass).

Maybe an evil temple in the area opened the rift and that is the source to close the rift- however, the players are trapped. How do they get back?

2) Statue of Limitations
    Submitted by lucailario:
    PC awaken in the middle of a dead temple, little investigation let them know that they have been frozen (or turned into stone cariatids, into undead creatures or some other servant creature) from a dark god/goddess.

The trip back to normality is filled with riddles, even magical ones, about how their new world point of view and their new ecology.

The PC are going to flee from those linked to the dark god/goddess, faithful and mercenaries alike.

The PC also have to fight against their old nature: they are seen as a threat to those they belonged to and they have to react in a new way in order to survive (like a vampire who do not know that has to hide from the sun).

The Idea of an elven (a normal high elf) PC turned into a drider is the first one I fought. He is an abominion even to other driders.

The second is a flesh golem. This has been already seen even if I do not remember this in D&D.

Another interesting situation I think is the freed self-aware spell, maybe an illusion like those created from a sort of Mirror images that create not the exact cornucopia but a group of adventurers, and now the illusions escaped from the control of an evil wizard and are stalked by paladins and commoners alike but also from the previous followers of the evil wizard, especially those that caused his death betraying him.

3) Forest of Spears
    Submitted by bloodymage:
    The party is on foot, travelling to a nearby village, half a day's march away, but they need to traverse a forest to get there. They've done it before and they know that the usual encounters and impediments are always present. What they don't know is that a few nights before, the fey held one of their rites, dancing around a faerie ring, but they were rudely interrupted at the climax and had to flee. This caused an invisible and normally undetectable vortex to form, whirling about the site. Whatever disrupted the faeries is caught in it, as will any that approach the meadow, directly in the party's path. However, being relatively familiar with the area, they know it's "bad luck" to enter the holy site. The effect is that whomsoever enters the vortex circles the meadow continuously, not necessarily in the same path, one might go to the left of a tree on the first pass, to the right on the second. One may stop at anytime to rest, eat or take care of personal business, but that could very well result in another trapped in the vortex to catch up with them. This sets up any encounter one might find in a forest at one convenient location. Eventually, if they don't realize it, give them clues as to the situation. To break the vortex, one need only speak a fey language, stop, face the meadow and verbally apologize for the disruption of the energies in the site. Treasure can be had from their encounters, but they could also be rewarded by a fey waiting to return, but unable to enter the vortex because he/she was thrown out of it.

4) Frozen Entry
    Submitted by Rhuvein:
    I'm thinking cold, snow and mountains . . less of the inside of Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarle - and more of the outside and or surrounding areas. Frostburn, Frost and Fur . . Vikings, sea voyages to frozen islands, - but with some lava/volcano twists (a la Iceland), gold, Star Wars on the ice world of Hoth(?) Norse Mythology, etc., etc!

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

One week until the poll closes... we need people to vote.

Let's go peeps. It 's fun, and easy. :p

3. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Great entries . . all of them. I'd play in any one of them, it'll be Lejendary and a tribute to Gary.

Go Chris Clark!!

:mrgreen:

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

Time to vote everyone....

/Thread bump

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

Might be the last day to vote (unless it gets extended by Chris Clark).

So, give Chris your feedback as to which adventure you want to see him run.

6. Donal

Donal Administrator

Yes, let me know if you wish to extend the voting... I can re-open the polls.

7. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

You can extend it ONE (and only one!) more week, until September 9th... but I will then announce the winner and begin to tease the details of the adventure. :D

SO vote early and vote often folks... It now looks like Frozen Entry will be the winner!

XXOOCC

8. Donal

Donal Administrator

Poll extended!

9. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

The competition is heating up!.... Two more days!

...and then prolly an additional day before I post a synopsis.

XXOOCC

10. extsr

extsr Chevalier

I'd prefer something where the evil Witch takes control of the Magic Factory, wielding her Sceptre of Exploitation, and the party has to infiltrate by feigning overwhelming greed and then defeat her with unbearable fairness.

"I'm melting, I'm melting... what a world..."

11. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Sure! When monkeys fly outa my... err.... castle. Yeah, that's it, castle.
    XXOOCC

12. Dale

Dale Administrator

It is the last day to vote. The choice as to which adventure Chris writes, and you get to play, is in your hands. This will go down to the wire- as it's to close to call.

A lot of you have not voted- today is the day.

13. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Ok, Its time to announce the winner.... and I noted that there were a few duplicative votes (that were discarded) but that Kraken Time is indeed the adventure that will be created for GaryCon 2011.

Congratulations Dale! I'll ned to know how you would like to be listed in the credits.

I will also allow you a bit of input during the creative process if you wish. I have a rough outline already sketched out... but it is subject to your input. If you are indeed interested in providing input BEYOND how your name will appear in the creds, PM me.

Front cover (current, rough draft version susceptible to change) to follow.
    XXOOCC

PS: GaryCon website staffer folx - while voting has ended, the discussion will continue.... so please preserve this thread, at least in some fashion. - CC

14. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Current Synopsis

(either one of the two - feel free to voice your opinion as to which you would prefer)

1) You had no knowledge, when you booked passage on the ShipWife, that the captain was a glory hunter; a treasure seeker with little concern for the comfort of his passengers. In short, the man was a rogue. Well, at least you understand, now, why he agreed to a mere 5 gold for passage to a port more than a week's sail up the coast.

That was two days ago. Captain Bluten had stopped for supplies in a nearby town, and had fallen prey to tales of lost treasure ships permanently becalmed in a nearby sailor's deathtrap known as the Sea of Weeds. Bluten had sailed his dilapidated vessel into the area, disgorging all cargo in order to avoid the supposed entaglement that the weeds were rumored to provide. Your pack had been part of that tyrannical abandonment of goods. Bluten had sighted the worn but floating wrecks rumored in the bar room tales almost immediately, and had pressed forward into the sargasssum that comprised the Sea of Weeds. It seemed the rumors were true!

His plan went well at first, and he approached to within two fathoms of the nearest vessel; its draft indicating that it indeed still sported cargo, and perhaps a very rich cargo indeed. Four other boats lay becalmed nearby, all of adequate if not gigantic size, and all obviously abandoned. A strange mist partially obscured these other vessels, and some of the crew refused to investigate. Several of the more courageous crewmen, however, launched the longboat to explore the nearest vessel, and soon returned with a chest filled with gold, and a cedarwood box filled with 8 bejewelled rings of inestimable value. The entire crew then immediately piled into the longboats to retrieve more of the valuable cargo.

They have not returned. The longboats lie idle; the sails inert. Not being a sailor, you have little concept of how to re-embark the vessel, and no visible means for recovering the abandoned long boats. For all you know, the ShipWife might now rest in an alternate dimension - a dimension where only seawater and the endless weeds exist.

OR

2) The adventure had seemed reasonable when Captain Bluten had signed you up for it... An adventure at sea! Salt air! Easy pickings and loot without the stigma of piraqcy!

The captain had mentioned a trip to the Sea of Weeds, an area known as the doom of sailors due to the clinging sargassum of its reach. He had rumors that it was replete with abandoned vessels, their sailors long expired, and of unclaimed treasures within the holds of these becalmed, trapped ships. The captain had lightened your vessel, and had coated it with a special oil he had purchased in town, claiming that these precautions would make your journey a trouble-free one; allowing you to avoid the grisly demise of the vessels you hoped to find within the sea.

That was two days ago.

His plan went well at first, and he approached to within two fathoms of the nearest vessel; its draft indicating that it indeed still sported cargo, and perhaps a very rich cargo indeed. Four other boats lay becalmed nearby, all of adequate if not gigantic size, and all obviously abandoned. A strange mist partially obscured these other vessels, and some of the crew refused to investigate. Several of the more courageous crewmen, however, launched the longboat to explore the near vessel, and soon returned with a chest filled with gold, and a cedarwood box filled with 8 bejewelled rings of inestimable value. The entire crew then immediately piled into the longboats to retrieve more of the valuable cargo.

They have not returned. The longboats lie idle; the sails inert. Not being a sailor, you have little concept of how to re-embark the vessel, and no visible means for recovering the abandoned long boats. For all you know, the ShipWife might now rest in an alternate dimension - a dimension where only seawater and the endless weeds exist.

XXOOCC

15. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I want the one where Chris takes us all out for Spotted Cows.

16. Dale

Dale Administrator

I agree! And he let's us sample the Hop Hearty IPA's. When I say sample, I mean in large quantities.

//We so need a happy devil horned smiley

17. kersus

kersus Footpad

This was such a fun adventure. I should have taken notes since the only copy was auctioned off to a higher bidder than I. I think it was one of forgie's best adventures.