Gary Con Logo Design Contest!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Donal

Donal Administrator

Gary Con is now heading into its 3rd year (4th if you count GC0) and we realized that although we have acquired some cool artwork, we have yet to come up with a cool Gary Con logo. Since all of our creative juices are working on special events for Gary Con III, we thought we'd give the Gary Con community the opportunity to show us what they think our logo should look like. That being said, we are pleased to announce the Gary Con logo design contest.

From now until the end of the year, we are accepting submissions for the Gary Con logo. The rules for this contest are simple:

1) Designs must be received by 12/31/10. They can be submitted electronically to webmaster (at) garycon.com or if you would like to submit by mail, please PM me for an address. You may, of course, post your designs here as well, if you want feedback from the Gary Con community.

2) We do not expect artist quality, ready for print logos. We want your ideas: rough sketches, doodles, a collage of artwork, whatever. As long as we can see your concept and design for what it is, we will be happy to have a professional clean-up any submission at our expense. Of course, a verbal description might be tough to visualize so we are requiring an image of some sort.

3) This is a logo for Gary Con III and for all foreseeable Gary Cons. Therefore, avoid references to specific Gary Cons (e.g. III, 2011, etc.).

4) Please don't use any copyrighted art (unless it's your copyright or Gary Con art), trademarked names/phrases, nor the Gygax name.

5) You must be willing to transfer all of the rights in your design to Gary Con.

Oh, and yes, there are prizes. Regardless of whether or not we select one of the submissions to be the first Gary Con logo, the 3 runner up submissions will receive Gary Con credit in the following amounts:
    1st Runner Up: $50
    2nd Runner Up: $30
    3rd Runner Up: $20
    Gary Con credit can be used to purchase badges, souvenirs/merchandise as well as used to purchase items in the auctions.

If your submission is selected to be the Gary Con logo, you will receive the following:
    Grand Prize: Free admission to Gary Con for as long as your logo is the official Gary Con logo plus $100 in Gary Con credit.

We’re looking forward to all of your submissions and hoping that a great many of you will be creatively inspired to help us with the search for the first Gary Con logo!

2. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

I thought the one that Kerry made was perfect - simple and straight to the point. It was the "Gary the Wizard" from the 1st con that I'm referring to.

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

We are looking for a logo. Not a Wizard, Crusader, or random character. Although both of them went well each year that they were utilized.

The logo will be used to represent the event- and Gary. Hopefully for many years to come.

4. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Official?

Bah! To me, the unofficial, and therefore most important, logo will always be:
    [​IMG]

5. Donal

Donal Administrator

While the Gary Wizard is a nice piece of artwork, we feel it lacks in two areas:

1) Too cartoonish/caricature
    2) No reference to Gary Con... for someone not familiar with it, there is no brand recognition

If you need any inspiration, I've always been a fan of this logo:

[​IMG]

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

Or, something as detailed and bad-ass like this:

[​IMG]

Get those creative juices flowing. :D

7. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

ARRRGGGHH - my KINGDOM for some (graphic) artistic talent!!!

If I had a kingdom, that is.
    But then if did have a kingdom...I would already have my own graphic artists in my court.
    So......crap.

Sure wish I had a weensy bit of ability for this 'un.
    'Spose I can still think on it though.......

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Damn, now I want one. On the other hand, they should be an official sponsor! Yeah... beer money!

9. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

THAT....is one HELL of an idea. I'm just sayin.'

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I've been saying that since last year!

11. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Hmmmm.....beginning to sound like "consensus!"
    So then....who's gonna handle that?
    :cool:

12. Donal

Donal Administrator

Discussions have been under way for some time. While I have little doubt their beer will be available throughout the show, I think their becoming an official sponsor will be a long shot.

13. Dale

Dale Administrator

True. But, do they know they are the un-official sponsor?

I always fly home with about 10 mixed NG beers in my luggage. :D

14. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

After pondering whether to make a secret submission avoiding both public humiliation and the possible inspiration of competition, I have decided to act in a fashion that I hope will be for good of the community in several ways; I have decided to post my idea. First, I suspect that a fair number of chuckles will be had in honor of my craptastic artistic talent. Second, and more importantly maybe my concept will spark better ideas in others and help others feel more comfortable in giving it a whirl - either publicly or via private submission.

[​IMG]

I can hear Da Govner saying to my dragon..."You're one ugly mother..."

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

That is awesomeness without end.

16. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I was up in Minnesota S/M/T this week for a conference. On the way back to Indiana, I - of course - stopped in Janesville and picked up a 2 12 packs of Spotted Cow. Man, they're gonna be good this evening.....

17. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I trust that you have recovered from your 24 Cow hangover. Moooooo.

18. pana

pana Level 0 Character

I have been kicking around the idea of a logo in my head for awhile

I came up with this design.

the colors of the dice are the same as the ones in the Red box minus the D 10. It is nothing professional but its a good jumping off point for this idea. Let me know what you guys think

I was thinking maybe of having a demon of some type maybe the one from the cover of the PHB rolling the dice and them coming up as such.

Pana

[​IMG]

19. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

This concept deserves study. I might suggest, tho', that in place of a demon with all that baggage, a grinning, wild-haired and bearded, twinkle-eyed Green Man sort of face that looks vaguely like Gary would convey a better image and message. ymmv

20. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I'm not sure this is actually a logo idea, but something amusing I came up with that might be the start of a comic type series.

[​IMG]

After further thought replace the green paint for gold and the cyan paint for copper. The Gargoyle could wear a "G" shirt and the Chimera a "C" shirt - or both could wear Gary Con shirts. Might be a little funnier and make more sense if they are on a cliff or mountain top or something. The "vandals" could be on a lower ledge instead of behind a boulder.