A new FLGS in Lake Geneva (That's in Wisconsin)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by the keeper, Jan 1, 2011.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Okay gang, we've got a new gamestore in town. It's called "Lake Geneva Games". It is operated by a terrific guy named Jason Ledtke, he's a Michigan transplant. He just opened the store right after Thanksgiving & it's to cool. (Especially the hidden door leading into the opening gaming room. :eek: (Elves have a 1 in 6 chance of detection.)
    The store is currently doing Magic:tG tourneys & will shortly be hosting open boardgame events, on Saturdays, presented by the leader of the Armies of Plasteik, the Baron of Grognard. (Guess who? ;) ) He is also looking for anyone interested in running War Hammer events as he does have a table with terrain set up for this. So stop on down & show him your face. The address is..........
    Lake Geneva Games
    918 S. Wells St.
    Lake Geneva, WI. 53147
    It's GREAT having a gamestore back in town. :D

He also has a page on Facebook, BUT, don't watch the construction videos or you'll know where the secret door is. :cry:

Later,
    The Keeper
    A.K.A. Von Deekin
    A.K.A. Baron of Grognard
    (I'm getting way to many alias') :lol:

2. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Speaking of hidden doors.....Is the ""Safehouse" still in operation in Milwaukee? I may take some time to show the wife that really cool nightspot while in that part of the country. How far of a drive is it from LG?

3. Babushka

Babushka Level 0 Character

Yes, the Safehouse is still open. It's about an hour drive from Lake Geneva.

http://www.safe-house.com/

I also loved that place... very cool.

4. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

That's fantastic news!!

Game on!

:)

5. Ernie

Ernie Level 0 Character

I'm excited about having a store in Lake Geneva again! I found dice miniatures and dice bags so that the three Grandchildren could experience there first Gaming Adventure. I whipped up a 2 hour scenario and caught one of them with the "Old Snakes in the Treasure Pile Trap." Instead of wrapped Christmas presents they rolled dice for choice selection modified by the success of the actions during the game. Plenty of swag was in the young mens hands and next morning they were swinging swords cleaver ect re-living the fights of the previous night.

Now I have to introduce them to playing games at the store. The stores inventory is very limited but thankfully the owners wife has a real job also...

6. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Just had the chance to stop in tonight. Jason's got several tables for gaming, and I would have really needed the chance to look around to find the secret door. If you're local I hope you can stop in to play and support the store. After I made my purchase, we chatted a bit. When I told him I ran the after-school game club at the Junior High I teach at, he gave me a used game, gratis, "just in case the kids would be interested." I know they'll love learning how to get the game going, and trashing each other once they do know how.

When I gave my wife her new dice sets she told me I definitely have to take her along next time. :cool:

7. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I hope to have the chance to check it out next month! :)

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Had a great time at the store last saturday. My youngest son & I were bored so we decided to grab a couple games & headed to the store. After arriving we set up Tomb:Cryptmaster (think "Dungeon: The Boardgame" with more goodies) & invited Jason, the owner to play. Just as we were about to begin in pops Tom Wham & his friend Dave, whose last name I can't remember at this time. (Sorry, Dave) Some customers came in so, Jason bowed out of the game & Tom & Dave joined in. After each player developed their band of heroes we began our exploration of the Tombs.
    Tomb is a good game, although some typos on the cards & heroes had us scratching our heads at times & the game rules are in serious need of a overhaul, & after 4 hours of swinging swords, casting spells & the occasional healing prayer, one player was victorious. (& it wasn't me, DAMMIT!!)
    After the game we chatted for a few minutes & then it was time to go. During the drive home my son & I talked about what modifications could be made to Tomb to help smooth out game play. So, sunday morning, after a couple cups of coffee, I decided to develop............ taa, da, da, DAAAHH, (trumpets blare!!)
    Von Deekin's 'Tomb: Cryptmaster' homerules. (Who'd a thunk?!)
    I think I'll drag this one with to Garycon 3 for some open gaming. Good beer & pretzels type of delving. :)
    That's what I did last weekend at my FLGS. :D

9. francisca

francisca Troubadour

:shock: Did the guy have any artistic ability?

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I think he did have.
    (Thought I saw some paint droppings on his shirt.)

:lol: :lol: :)

11. Rex

Rex Footpad

Keep meaning to pop into that store. *sigh* So many games, so little money, heh.

~Rex....still very happy with the last recomended FLGS.

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

You will have to try & stop by on march 12th. Once a month, or so, I drag six games down to the store & we play from 1:pm-whenever we finish. I post a sign up sheet at the store the month before. Which ever of the six games gets the most people to sign up, & show up, then that's the game we play. If there's time we play another, & another, & another.........
    The upcoming games are also posted on Facebook, just look for S.L.A.G. (Southern Lakes Area Gamers), dat's us. :)

13. Rex

Rex Footpad

I'll take a look for the sign up sheet but Facebook scares me. Doesn't go well with my cave drawings and mammoth hunt mentality, heh.....

Solid recomendations though hence I shall add it to my foraging list.

~Rex

14. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

Lake Geneva always needs a gaming store. Frankly, it should be a part of the Gary Memorial that's going to be built! If it's still open ( :roll: ), I'm hoping I can visit it at the next Gary-Con.

15. smokin

smokin Chevalier

David Lee Roth of Van Halen once told 50,000 people ..."Let's all go across the street for a drink !!!".
    Maybe we can get all the con attendees to go to the local store and ask for a d20.

16. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I'll check it out at some point over the GC3 weekend, for sure! I'll even drop some dough as a show of support. :) To echo FlyingWhale (amusing screen name BTW), Lake Geneva should pass a law declaring that some form of gaming store should always be present. Too bad Bill Cousino didn't win that Alderman's election, he could have made that happen... :)

17. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Just don't hate the guy for stocking 4th edition D&D - the man's gotta go with what sells....

18. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I'd actually be disappointed if he didn't stock it! A good game store should have new games on the shelves because that always brings in more traffic.

Sadly, many game stores are a dying breed but it's my hope a good gaming group can keep one in business. There's something about slinging dice at a game store that is so much fun. I think part of my enjoyment has been when people have walked in and said, "What are you playing?" And it gives you a great opportunity to introduce other people to the game. It's also a nice, neutral place to meet other gamers.

I will definitely stop by and check it out. If I had the time, I'd also check out one in Chicago I've seen people mention a few times.

19. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

Man, I'm going to miss this weekend's convention! I'm so bummed. But I'm in Indianapolis and that is a ways off in Lake Geneva. Everyone please have fun for me!

20. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

It's only a 4-5 hour drive, my friend. And for a weekend of gaming with the best, that is more than worth it. Several folks, including myself are flying in from all over the East Coast. There's even a guy flying in from Italy! So hop in your car and come on out! :D