Warhammer Fantasy

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by smokin, Jan 8, 2011.

1. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Not sure if anyone is into this genre but I figured I'd give it a shot. Any avid WHFB collectors out there? Mild enthusiasts maybe? Bueller? Bueller?

2. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Which Warhammer Fantasy Edition do you enjoy most?
    I am most familiar with 3rd edition but I use a homerules system that draws from at least 3 different editions. For Tourney play you need to go 8th Edition I believe, but I have never entered any official events.

Your favorite armies?
    Sad, but I do not own ANY. Not sure I even have a favorite. If I did it would be Empire or Bretonnia as I see the roleplaying options easier here. I probably have enough GW to field an army or two but would require at least one other player to coach me how.

So why the intreset in WHFB (Warhammer Fantasy Battle)?
    The guys from TABLETOP GAMES in Overland Park KS. were hosting a slot at one of our local games conventions (Shauncon 11 or so) called WARHAMMER TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS and I fell in love with the gameplay. I had already been a big fan of HEROQUEST AND WARHAMMER QUEST too.
    I didn't care for histories or painting techniques so much but the nature of turn sequence, magic rules and overall funfactor for all involved seemed right to me. They had the latest state of the art miniatures from all over the WHFB catalogue.

What made you decide to run your own 'spin off' of the TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS?
    My friend has this really cool old castle that makes for a great diorama and I thought to myself "This would be great for ToC". Then I realized I didn't own enough miniatures to create all the CHAMPIONS to be had. So mixing the Warhammer Battle Magic with the few pewters and plastics that I did have, I came up with SPELLSNSTUFF. I ran that game alot thru the mid-late 90s.

Your taking it to GARYCON 2011 to be given away? Why?
    Well, the wife says it doesn't go with the couch.

3. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Really wish I could post the pix of this thing we like to call "The Keep of the Chaos Towers of Blood".

It has some Wotc initial ties because my friend traded a Mox for it. Not sure I would have but I'm glad she did.
    I first got involved by giving the Moaning Moat a fresh coat of paint, then came the chaos or Chaos as it were. The Bridge of Bone got a facelift from a drawing in Games Workshop's White Dwarf magazine. The big gates from Warhammer Quest became the Front Gate, the door to the Chaos Throne Room and are also used for the entrance to the Ancient Ruins terrain that I recently added. There are lots of WQ game pieces throughout the game.
    A couple of my ash trays currently make up the Garden of Grief and the Skull Gate rear entrance to the Keep. I saw some badassappletrees that I just had to add, they probaby came from Tabletop Games in OPKS.
    My only regret is that I have not found a nice sized gong to chime (or an area to put it in) whenever a player bites the big one.
    Ive seen lots of your pix posted in these forums. Anyone interested in seeing "The Keep of the Chaos Towers of Blood" here please let me know how to show. When I click on the Img button and those little words pop up(img) (img) cant paste, cant attach. What am I doing wrong?

4. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Well, not one reply....not looking good for Spellsnstuff. I realize it's an unknown game but Warhammer Fantasy is a well-known system.
    Let's assume for a moment that it fails to launch in at least one slot. THis will open up one of two options I can foresee. The first, I become a player in someone's game, should be an open seat somewhere and I'm totally fine with this. The other option, the 4' X 4' Keep diorama can be used elsewhere. Picture a moated castle with 6 towers (4 larger at the corners and two smaller at each side of the front gate). Unfortunatly the towers cannot be accessed to the inner levels. Send me a request either here or at the con after examining it upclose. It would take a better DM than I for it to be run as a D&D scenario but seems like it could be utilized SOMEWHERE. Then again, if you feel that it would help your game , by all means, just play Spellsnstuff for at least one round, and if your character dies quickly you could win a chance at the drawing in the 'quickest death' catagory.
    Total chances for the prize will include ....'most kills' per slot, 'most kills' overall, 'most deaths' per slot, 'most deaths' overall, 'quickest death', 'longest lived', 'best roleplayer' per slot, 'best roleplayer' overall. More chances in case of ties, but at least 17 chances that I can see, that is if Spellsnstuff runs in all 4 slots as listed. Of course, if no one wants to take it home, you may get lucky enough and find it out by the dumpster after the con. (just kidding, just in case that does happen, I'll drag it back to KC and donate to a local games group or something.

5. smokin

smokin Chevalier

The Keep of the Chaos Towers of Blood.
    For those of you on the forums here....here's a few freebie 'clues' if you decide to try it.

Look for a window of Opportunity. It seldom knocks.
    Snake-eyes and Boxcars are only better during character creation.
    NEVER DRINK THE MOAT WATER.

6. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Warhammer Fantasy, WHFB Battle Magic, White Dwarf, Games Workshop, Hero Quest, Warhammer Quest. All of these are incorporated into SpellsnStuff. There's even some Dragon Strike in there somewhere. Anyone knowing the ins & outs of these should get ahold me here or at GC3. Interested in learning its ties to TSR if any.

7. smokin

smokin Chevalier

During last night's playtesting of SpellsnStuff two things happened that had never come up before.
    A random NPC chart was rolled on and the UNDEAD DRAGON came up. One of the players (player A)who was not in sight of the dragon used a spell to control the actions of another player (player B). He commanded the player to attack the dragon. Player B had a magical sword and did manage to hit the dragon but did not manage to wound it. At the appropriate time the dragon attacked player B and killed him. Player B had a magical item that did massive amounts of damage to all things around him if and when he dies, killing the dragon. I gave both kills to Player A.

The other odd thing that happened involved another random NPC. This time the Tomb King, with an excellent magic save, failed the save and was encased in the Bright Wizard's Crimson Bands spell. Two of the players spent a round bashing on the Tomb King, bringing it's life total down to 1. The same player A from above managed to steal the kill there too by swooping down on his mounted drake, grabbing the Tomb King and flying straight up to max altitude and dropping the victim.

Maybe you had to be there but Player A won the night, even though he was later 'lost' in the Minotaur's maze by the time the game was over. The random NPC chart was designed to HELP the players but OLD SCHOOL gamers can change everything so I feel a little more prepared than before.

8. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

I've never gotten into the Warhammer mini game. I do not have the spare income. I also don't love tactical games that much. I get my fill with Tanhauiser. But I AM interested in the RPG they put out recently.

9. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Tanhauiser? Not familiar with this and couldn't find anything about it on the net.
    Spellsnstuff is a mix of Warhammer Fantasy Battle Magic (not 40K) and the roleplaying game.

10. smokin

smokin Chevalier

The pix for this castle are shown over in GENERAL DISCUSSION under the sub-heading AMAZING PRIZE FOR OPEN WARHAMMER GAME. Anyone wants to use it for their game (if its not running SpellsnStuff) just ask. I would also like to say that Spellsnstuff can be played on any given terrain. If you have terrain that is available for general use, get with me early on during the convention. I'll be the old kinda fat nerdy guy playing D&D (or standing nearby this monstrosity). Check out those pix.

11. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

12. smokin

smokin Chevalier

SpellsnStuff needs at least 3 players. It ran four slots at Garycon III.
    Thanks to all my players....
    Ken (most kills), Roman (longest lived), Damien (tied for fastest death and roleplaying from the throne), Aaron (tied for most deaths), Nick, Tyler, Crispin, Mike, James, Richard, Carl, Tom, Vaas, Gregory, Jeff, Tommy, John, Lou, Grizzzt, Sam and Andrew. There were more but they must have failed to put their names on the character sheets (or I lost them).
    Any testimonies? Any ideas for changing it? The Keep itself was auctioned off so I'm in planning for a more practical replacement. I'm gonna miss those Dancing Doors but it was all worth it.

13. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Well, I'm looking for more terrain to play SpellsnStuff on. Before I go out and survey different stores, I thought I could send out a plea for any that the readers may have available. Anyone? Anyone? Buellar?, testing, testing , is this thing on?

14. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Under the Chaos Towers of Blood will return to Garycon barring any unforeseen.
    This time the players will explore the levels below the towers.
    There's little difference, except some flight spells are affected.
    Fun game, don't miss this mix of Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer Quest, Hero Quest and home rules.

15. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Attendees do not need to spend SP (ESPECIALLY 4) to play. Badges are required, but you can just walk up and play at anytime. For as long as you like.
    All day, and as long as they let us continue into the night, Saturday.

I cant remember names, but Im ok with faces.
    Come and play, and IF i remember you as one of my players from Garycon 3, Ill give you a free level (extra starting wound) to start.

Under the Chaos Towers of Blood is better than ever.

16. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Thanks to my six players, Dax, Rebecca, Dan, Joe, Ken and Mike.
    Unbelievably funny conclusion in the Tomb King's Throne Room.
    Hope everyone had as much fun as I.

Oops. Totally forgot to give Ken his extra starting wound for playing at Garycon 3 also. Oh well....