Getting from Chicago to Lake Geneva

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legba, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Legba

Legba Level 0 Character

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready for the 20 hour Greyhound trip to Chicago, and I'm wondering what the best route from Chicago on to Lake Geneva would be. I'm not driving, so I'm guessing either bus, train or walking!

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

If anyone can help get Legba from Chicago to Lake Geneva that would be great! Legba is a good friend of mine from a land far, far away ;) and is a great guy.

Thanks,

Derek

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

It would probably be a good idea for him to post what day/time he is arriving in Chicago.

And, see ya at the gathering Legba!

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yes, that would be good. If his bus arrives on time, he should be arriving in Chicago around 3PM on Thursday.

Thanks,

Derek

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Yes, post time and depot. I know someone that might be able & willing to help.

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I should be coming through chicago about then, but my minivan will be full (wife, 3 kids, and associated luggage).

7. Legba

Legba Level 0 Character

Oh durr, yeah. The Greyhound should get me in at 3pm on Thursday; I'd almost expect it to be up to 30 minutes late though.

I wasn't even thinking that people might give me a lift, I was just wondering what the best way of getting from point A to point B would be. If someone could give me a lift though, I'd really appreciate it.

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Other than a lift, you'd be looking at Rental Car or $$$$$$ cab ride as far as i know. Lake Geneva is not exactly what one would call a transportation hub :)

9. tavis

tavis Footpad

I'll be driving from O'Hare to Lake Geneva, but won't be leaving until close to 9. I'll be happy to give you a ride if you haven't found anything better - my cell is 917 749 6938, and I should be able to check the forums too.

10. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

'fraid I can't help - I'm not rolling in until Friday morning

11. nickmizer

nickmizer Level 0 Character

I get in to O'hare at 5:55 PM and have a ride up. I wouldn't want to commit him, but PM me or email me at [email protected] and we can try to work it out.

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Somebody should of said something. Kenosha, only about 45 minutes away from here, has a bus drop-off/pick-up location. Legba could of rode the bus to Kenosha & we would of went & picked him up. Know right where the bus depot is, in K-Town.

13. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I will let him know as soon as I hear from him.

14. mark

mark Spellbinder

15. mark

mark Spellbinder

Not all of the trains on that line go all the way to K-Town, but there are trains at 4:13, 5:03, 5:10, 5:35, 6:31, and 9:35, each of which takes about an hour and a half (or an hour forty) to get to Kenosha.

IMPORTANT: To Ogilvie Station, NOT Union Station!

[​IMG]

16. Legba

Legba Level 0 Character

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Nick and Luca have kindly offered to give me a lift from Chicago to the convention, so I'll ride up with them.

Problem: Solved!

17. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you. Give me a call when you get into town. I've decided not to rent a car since I'm riding up with Mark P. today. Anyone else who'd like to give me a call if the need arises can as well.

Derek
    731-234-4914

18. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

It was great meeting you Geekpreacher, I really enjoyed our chance to chat Saturday night, out front of the lodge. Next time, brother, lets grab a beer together!

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Anytime! Had a great time as well.

I'd also like to thank everyone who was kind enough to offer me a ride to Chicago or various other stops I could find a train along the way. It just goes to show how greatly generous GaryCon people can be and I thank you so very much.

The person I did catch the ride from was able to take me straight into Chicago along with my friend Manny from Norway. Manny took Greyhound and I took Amtrak so it was nice we could spend some more time together. He's a good friend and the ride together was really nice.