Any room for a gamer anthropologist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickmizer, Nov 23, 2010.

1. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Sounds good, and keep us posted.

2. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

As a fellow college student, I know how much of a drain this can be. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes they give you the funding.

3. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Is it possible to know what kind of research are you conducting, what kind of questions are you facing and/or what kind of data are you collecting?
    A friend of mine who lives and work in Rome has obtained his PhD last year in anthropology, he is also an hardliner RPgamer (he is the president of a LARP association who run a game for about 300 people since 2005 and the chief narrator of a team of 30-40 narrators), maybe you would like to contact him?

4. nickmizer

nickmizer Level 0 Character

Okay, semester and holidays have slowed down just a little bit for me. I did get the funding, so I will be there. On a related to note, anyone leaving from Chicagoland? That's where I'm flying in, and I can just rent a car, but I thought I'd see if anyone wants to share a ride.

5. nickmizer

Just received my official approval that our Institutional Review Board considers my research ethical. As such, I should post the official description of what I'll be up to:

My name is Nicholas Mizer, a graduate student from the Department of Anthropology at Texas AZ&M
    University. While at GaryCon, I will researching the history of role-playing games, and would like
    to invite you to participate in my research study. As a participant, you will be asked to answer some
    questions about your experiences playing role-playing games through either a 10-15 minute questionnaire or a a 20-60 minute informal interview (depending on how long you would like to talk).

There are no direct benefits to participation in this study.

If you would like to participate in this research study or have any questions, please contact me at
    [email protected] so that we can be sure to meet up at the convention.

6. nickmizer

Texas A&M, rather.