Battletech - Where the frak are they, over? 61202 (2011)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Event 61202 Where the frak are they, over?

Sunday noon to 5:30p - although if the players that signed up are available a bit earlier, then we may try to move it up an hour or two. There is still room for more players as far as I know.

The fog of war can be nerve wracking. Two teams of four, each with their own table and GM, same map, same time. Who has the skill and intuition to lead their team to victory in this urban battle? Where the frak is the enemy, over?" The event will take place in a 3-D urban setting. The action will be fast paced - for a strategy game :)

Bring a clipboard if you can.

In case you want or need to get familiar with the rules (including some Event / House rules):
    http://www.BBBStuff.com/GCF/GC_Battletech_Rules.doc

Here are some custom game aides:
    http://www.BBBStuff.com/GCF/GC_Battletech_Tables.doc
    http://www.BBBStuff.com/GCF/GC_Battletech_Weapons.xls

Printouts of all three of these sheets will be provided to each player.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Re: Battletech - Where the frak are they, over? 61202

I want to thank and acknowledge Iron Wind Metals ( http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php ) for providing 30 Battletech miniatures for use as prizes for players in our game. Thanks also to the guy that lined up the donation on behalf of the game.

I'm glad that folks enjoyed the game and want to see Battletech return next year, despite some rules and administration glitches. Running a double-blind, while trying to go fast, with new players was very stressful & difficult and did not work out nearly as smooth as the play-test. I don't know if a double-blind will return, but at this time, I'd guess that I/we will run at least one Battletech game next year.

Thanks to the folks that played. Congrats to the first time player (Paul) that was voted MVP (Most Valuable Pilot) on the winning team for single handedly destroying an enemy Mech while his 3 teammates ganged up to kill another enemy Mech.

3. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Will definitely try to get in on that. It looked like a lot of fun.

4. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

The game was a blast. Can't wait to do it again. (Even though I was on the losing team). Well, horrible die rolling was the major cause of that.

5. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

I had a great time playing this event. I was actually thinking of packing it in and calling it a Con when one of the GMs talked me into playing.

And it wasn't hard to convince me because the setup was fantastic, both terrain and miniatures for a double blind battle that used two identical battlefield tables. The GMs did a great job handling a very complex scenario and the support sheets provided were really useful.

My lance-mates were great players, and I'm glad our rookie won most valuable player - for almost single-handedly taking down a Rifleman with his Thunderbolt and denying the enemy access to the scenario's McGuffin. Our Ostsol player kept us all focused and contantly stuck his neck out (and still came out of it with only a paint scratch) while our Ostroc player and me in a Warhammer poured out some concentrated fire on a very unpredictable enemy.

And to top off this event, Ironwind Metals miniatures were given out to all players! Thanks guys!

6. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I checked in on this game a few times and I have to say I thought it looked awesome.

7. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Sounds awesome - as was the "double blind" aspect. Wondering if that rookie was good ol' Paul. And that Ostsol fella - Ken maybe? Really big, snap-somebody-in-half-but-overall-swell-guy?

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Yeah, Paul was piloting the schnazzy blue Thunderbolt and Ken was stylin' in the pretty gold Ostsol (sol as in solar, hence the gold). At the end of the game (last two rounds) I didn't think Paul was gonna stop rolling dice. He fired a boat load of weapons, hit with all but a single machine gun, kicked the poor bugger and got 9 crit opportunities on that poor Rifleman - he just lit him up something fierce.

9. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Re: Paul's Badassery

DAAAAMN...now that's just flippin' sweet!

10. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

My son was one of the players. When I told him the double-blind might not return, he said, "I hope it does. I had a blast! I got a bit impatient during one delay, but I'd still rather play double-blind."

11. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Seems about time to get some pics up:

[​IMG]
    Table 1 before things got rolling - showing handouts, rules, promo sheet, and the Fog of War Wall (hotel blanket on chairs on some tables) that separated the two teams.

[​IMG]
    Table 1 with Team 1 Mech and Team 2 markers visible. Each team had real Mechs for their own side and 2-D cardboard Mechs for the enemy when they or one of their teammates could see an opponent Mech.

[​IMG]
    Close-up of the city and a Thunderbolt

[​IMG]
    Table 2 with Team 1 markers visible, Team 2 must be hiding behind the buildings. At the bottom middle the park and pond are visible. Shadows will not be included in future building designs.

12. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

Very cool picks! post more if you've got them!

13. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Battletech

Does anyone know who the fellas were that ran the double-blind Battletech game on Sunday last year?

Are they coming back?

Doing that again?

That was badass and I would like to see it again.

14. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

That was my brother and I. We don't want to run the same scenario and city if we do it again and I'm certain that we can't carve out the time to make a new city. I think a revised city might be possible and would still add some new elements, and hopefully coolness, to the scenario. I'm 95% sure that we'll find a way to get what we have planned ready.

15. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I just submitted "Where the frak are they now, over?" for Friday 10am, 6 hours.

16. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Signed up! I can't wait...

17. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

That was a cool looking scenario and I have always been a fan of the double blind war games. I will sneak in if there is an open seat (and I have the time!).

18. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Somehow I doubt Melf will be sneaking anywhere during the Con, especially during daylight hours. That'd be like shooting an acid arrow in the new Artist's Alcove and having it go unnoticed... ;-)