Gary Con III Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

This is mostly cross-posted from the Kenzer & Co. forums.

I played in a Dead Game Society session of Star Wars Saga edition and won the roll-off for the swag bag at the end (the ONLY 20 I rolled that day...and with my flashing ThinkGeek d20, to boot, naturally, it chose that time to NOT flash on a 20). I immediately had to hoof it to the next room to set up my Star Wars d6 game, Escape from Echo Base. I've run this particular scenario 4 times now and this was the first time I was able to kill a PC with an AT-AT. It was glorious. My wife has watched me run it 3 times and is still amazed how different each game has turned out.

Since I'm a lightweight, my wife and I headed out for dinner after that game, then retired for the evening.

The next morning, I was running a D&D Rules Cyclopedia game (basically BECMI), Temple of the Mountain God. 5 minutes after the game was supposed to start, I still had 4 no-shows out of 4 registered people, but a group of guys came by and asked if I still had openings, so I got started just a tad late. One of the 4 original registrants showed up about 15 minutes late, so he was able to play, as well. It was interesting playing basic D&D again after 20+ years. Despite all my hints indicating the PCs should take the abandoned dwarven mine to the back entrance of the dragon's lair (including giving them a map!), the PCs chose a frontal assault. Wave after wave of stone giant came and were killed in a variety of creative ways (including one that got dimensioned doored off a cliff) and the PCs were doing very well until the dragon finally joined the fray. A mirror-imaged dragon will make short work of PC engaged in melee with a bunch of giants. It finally took enough damage to force a morale save enabling the PCs to "win," albeit with a 75% casualty rate. Yeah, I could have had the dragon keep fighting, but we were running late and someone else was waiting for the table.

After that, I went back to the hotel to get my wife and lunch, then returned to the Lodge for a Metamorphosis Alpha game run by Jim Ward (who convinced my wife to play, too). Jon Pickering sat to my right (it was interesting to play in a game run by a TSR alumnus AND play with a TSR alumnus). Naturally, we all died horribly, but we didn't go down easy.

We left Sunday morning. I found out that taking I-74 to Bloomington, IL, then up towards Rockford and into WI may be longer than going through Chicago, but you only pay $1 in tolls each way and you absolutely WILL NOT get stuck in Gary-Chicagoland traffic, which more than makes up the time you "should" save by taking the shorter route through Chicago.

2. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Consider I57 north (or I65) to I80 west to I355 north to the end (turns into I290 then Rt. 53). You'll then be able to follow Rt. 12 up to LG.

Very easy, very fast.

:)

3. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I live VERY close to 355 and 80. I take 355 north to work every day.