Dangerous Journeys

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Rhuvein, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I had one of those hexagonal booklets that I used for about twenty years before it finally started to run low. I found another on eBay, but it's S/W and I'm all anal about that, so now I gotta find another. I do a lot of mapping in AI now, but I always start with some trusty graph/hex paper. The largest graph paper I've found locally are 11x17 pads with small squares (I forget the #/inch) at Staples. I'd like to give one of those rolls I've seen online a try, but I have this fear that I'll attempt the largest fantasy map of all time and I'll eventually be found in a fetal position, drooling on Olympus or something.

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

That's my fear too. I actually bought the roll and brought it to GC2 last year but never got around to doing anything with it. There just isn't enough time to fit in large scale world mapping with all of the other stuff going on. And thus, the roll sits unused in my basement...

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Years ago, when I was all fired up about world building, I picked up some 36x24 hex sheets made by chessex. They have 1" squares with LOS dots on the them. They're awesome. One side is long grained, the other side is short grained. I think they're 3 to the pack, and I grabbed 2 packs.

I also picked up some judges guild 17x22 hex sheets. They're that cool textured manilla color, and are the same sheets used for the Blackmoor stuff. (seen here: http://www.blackmoor.mystara.us/img/BLACKMOOR1MAP2a.gif)

But my big score of late is a 48" wide roll of heavy plotter paper. Somebody at work got rid of their plotter, and nabbed the paper on the way out. There must be 40 yards left on it. I plan on projecting the map of my old homebrew on it with an overhead projector, then draw it out, and use a transparency with hexes printed on it to measure distance.

4. Axiom

Axiom Level 0 Character

Thanks again, one can never have enough hex paper.

5. cinderblock

cinderblock Level 0 Character

New to the message boards. Hello all! Didn't realize there were so many people still playing DJ. Trying to put together my stuff into a campaign. Still tracking down everything I'm missing.

6. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

If you missed Eric's demo on how to run this game and how easy it really is, kick yourself in the rear as hard as you can. Now. It was that informative.

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

*OW!* That hurt. I keep trying to get to the Demo for this game but never make it. I have to admit that I'm almost afraid to play it because I know I'm going to like it so much and then be frustrated when I can't get into a game of it on a regular basis.

There's so much regular gaming going on up in the northern parts and I don't have any close by. GC always makes me want to play more RPG's once I get back home. Maybe I'll start running one this summer......I can always dream. ;)

8. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Kind of a flimsy excuse there. I'm in college and if it weren't for the courseload necessary to graduate and the like, I could easily find people in or outside of the campus environs. Once you understand the core mechanic, the game's pretty easy to run, it only looks intimidating.

9. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

The nearest game store, for me, is 20 miles away and the only gaming going on is D&D 4E. Not to my taste. The other area where there is some gaming going on in Memphis and while I'm there twice a week it's not when the gamers are playing. That is an hour and a half trip so that's no viable. (I used to do it and just can't make that commitment anymore. 3 hour round trip to game just doesn't work for me.)

I'm looking for a game to play in, btw, and should have been more clear. I don't have time to run one myself. I'm also in school full time trying to knock out this Master's Degree. I'm also taking clinicals this semester and having to do a 30 hour service project for another class. A full course load, a family and pastoring two churches does tend to take up my time a bit. And that's not including all the other busyness of life.

So, simply put, I'm looking for a bi-monthly game within a decent driving distance that I can step into as a player. I've been looking for a while and haven't found one. (Even the 3.x gamers that I know are all playing Pathfinder which I'd be willing to try again but they like to start playing around 10PM at night and go until 3 AM. I just can't hang with that crowd.)

Hope that clarifies it a bit. I'm one of the only old school gamers in this area I know of......I know people that play games with an old school feel such as the new Hackmaster but no one is playing any of the "dead games" except me.

10. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Not to sound like I'm engaging you in a game of oneupmanship, but like you, there are no gaming stores close to me. To compound matters, I live in the Greater LA area and I don't own a car. To get to a game store in Pasadena, where I know a lot of the gamers, would take me 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours each way by bus and train. Last quarter, I took 5 classes in order to complete my degree by the end of this school year. The games in my area often run when the buses don't. Seeing that it would take me 45 minutes to ride my bike each way (not to mention, the hell that is asthma and bad knees), I understand how frustrating your situation is. I also have to deal with the fact that few, if any, players will play anything other than 4e.

11. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

But what if your taskmasters' whips were at your back as you raced back and forth with a Red Lanyard of Frantic Volunteerism firmly planted about your neck?
    Even STILL though, I'm kicking myself in the rear. Repeatedly. AND I started well before "now" (i.e., when I read this)!
    DEFINITELY HOPING FOR MORE NEXT YEAR!!!! (hint, hint, Eric!)
    :mrgreen:

12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I think Eric needs to offer to run a Mythus adventure on Thursday afternoon for all the busy guys (Gary Con staff/volunteers have priority :twisted: ). Heroic Personas could be developed between now and then by email, skype and phone. I bet it could turn into a yearly campaign of sorts- 10 hours of DJ every Thursday before Gary Con. Its an idea anyways....

13. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

People coming from far far away also, is it true? :cry:

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

I like it. I am so in!

15. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I will volunteer to do any work/desk check-in or otherwise to allow these guys to play!

:)

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Be careful what you ask for Rhu- you just might get it. :twisted:

17. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Yes! And YES!
    Even got my very own book I could start getting meself going on!

HAHAHA...I'm all jazzed about this, then realized that - technically speaking - Eric hasn't agreed to a damned thing, lol!!! (yet)
    :ugeek:

18. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

I couldn't speak for just ANYBODY from far far away, but I'd CERTAINLY think that a LUCA from far far away just might have a chance...
    :cool:
    And of course that beautiful lady friend of yours on Facebook... :lol:

19. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

He's got a point, Rhu - truth be told though, the willingness itself is pretty awesome, so many thanks for that ALONE!
    :mrgreen:

20. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Wow! Thanks for all the interest in DJMGRPG and my personal campaign! :cool:

I would be privileged to run a game for you guys; those who do so much to put this convention together! (And by the way, let me say thanks here, it gets better every year! :D ) And yes, I could do the night before the convention, annually. A mini-campaign played out over some number of years would be quit doable and enjoyable.

So I’m thinking Brendar, Prolific Void, Melf, Dale, and Luca. (Also Donal, Gene & Ken (?) if they would want in on it.) So that would be 8 Players and that sounds good. Am I missing a staff member or volunteer?

As for developing Heroic Personas my options are E-Mail & Phone, both of which would be needed. I can call out to others as I am doing a flat rate plan on my phone. I will have to get with each person in turn who would like to create their own HP as it is a bit of an undertaking but there should be time throughout the year, so who would like to go first? :cool: