Wednesday night D&D/AD&D group starting at Lake Geneva Games

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by jeffery st. clair, May 28, 2011.

1. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

If you're local enough, and would like to play AD&D or RC D&D (depending on the DM that week), we're starting a weekly group at Lake Geneva Games on June 16th. We'll play from 6:30-ish p.m. to 10:00 p.m., with otto von grunwald (running RC D&D) and myself (running AD&D) as the principal DMs at first. If Deogolf's schedule allows, he might run some Harvesters, also.

Happy Gaming, all!

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Re: Thursday night D&D/AD&D group starting at Lake Geneva Games

Now, see, that's what I've been talking about.....a sensible day of the week (Thursday) at a sensible time for gaming. Why in the Sam Hill can't I find one like that around here? ;)

Actually, I know why but I've beat that horse to death too many times.

On a serious note, let me know how the game works out and how many people show up. I'm really interested in seeing how many people are playing tabletop games on a regular basis at what I consider to be reasonable times. It would also be interesting to see how long these games last.

Thanks,

Derek

3. jeffery st. clair

Well, the Wednesday night Pathfinder group has been running for some weeks now. Jason would know more about that than me, though, since I can't do Wednesday nights.

4. aplus

aplus Level 0 Character

I didn't know it was RC too! You'll have to let me know in advance so I can bring the proper book.

--Jeremy

5. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

I'm not local, but I have some friends in the area. That's actually the only way I met them. They were visiting Indianapolis due to GenCon. So, I'm asking on behalf of these sad individuals, due to them having no outlet in the frozen north you know as the Wisconsin. How long do the games usually last? And I know it's old school, but do you all use mini's for combat / encounters? Just curious. My friend is way into D & D mini's.

6. jeffery st. clair

6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and we don't use minis. I have been running sans minis for 30 years, and I'm pretty fast that way.

BTW, Otto, you gonna make it tomorrow? We missed ya last week.

7. jeffery st. clair

Changing the day of the week.

Well, after an informal survey of all the regular RPers at the game store, we're moving to Wednesday nights. Turns out the Pathfinder guys moved their game to Saturday, and some of those guys (along with quite a few others) can play more easily on Wednesdays rather than Thursdays.

The first two games were great fun. We have a paladin, a magic-user, and a ranger so far, along with a one-time visiting ranger, and more to join shortly. I'll keep you posted.

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Thanks! I'm seeing more and more people able to play on Wednesdays. I know of a few gaming groups in the area that meet on those days but that's hard for me because in the Fall & Spring we have a lot of kids activities on that night.

Hope the game works out and you have a good turnout.

9. Re: Thursday night D&D/AD&D group starting at Lake Geneva Games

Just got back from 10 day long trip to Florida. :)
    I contacted Jim and John via FB but got no response until tonight. John said he was still waiting for info.

Wednesdays, eh?

hmm.......

10. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Not sure about Weds. Will have to check the schedule.

Sorry 'bout the last couple of Thursdays, didn't know that we were a definite "go".

11. Re: Thursday night D&D/AD&D group starting at Lake Geneva Games

Doh. I'm the closing guy this Wed. at work, so I wouldn't be able to get there until about 7:30 or so (maybe later). Is the game AD&D? If you want, you can email me the specs and I could try to make a PC ahead of time, or just try to make it next week instead.

12. jeffery st. clair

Yep, it's AD&D. Just get there when can you get there. All you need is a 1st-level character. No horses is the only restriction to start (the realm's sort of like the Pre-Columbian Americas).

If you think you'll arrive too late, just come on out next week.

13. FlyingWhale

FlyingWhale Level 0 Character

Oh snap. I'm not sure my friend will be into it unless it involves some sort of formalized combat. He's way into that sort of thing. Even has his own custom mini's for gaming (Realizeinc.com makes gaming figures). But I'll pass along the night change and see what he says.

14. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Looks like it'll have to be next Weds - have a zoo trip with the family tonight.

Any particular character class that the group is short on? Doesn't matter to me, I can play anything (well, except maybe a bard).

15. jeffery st. clair

They have no clerics, and no demi-humans. They're quite the humanocentric group (except for one halfling thief).

16. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

No healers? And they are first lvl? Are they nuts?!

A cleric it is! ;o)

17. Re: Thursday night D&D/AD&D group starting at Lake Geneva Games

So with the addition of John (and Stephen?) as well as Ryan and Connor's friends , that puts the player count up to....drum roll please...9! Are we all gonna fit in the secret room? :shock:

- the Big O

18. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Sorry, we Men of the Cloth do not go in for those kinds of things! (Well, at least this one anyway! ;) )

19. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

Okay, Steve here. :D

Looks like I can make it. So my understanding is that its a Pre-Columbian Americas setting (like The Hidden Shrine of Tamochan? :shock: ) and that you have Human Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Magic user and Halfling Thief covered. Looks like John may do a Human Cleric. I can enjoy playing just about anything, so if there are any roles that need to be filled in the party, let me know and I'll whip up a character!

20. jeffery st. clair

The party needs some infravision desperately. Halflings in this realm are all mixed (only 30' of infravision). Dwarf, elf, half-elf, gnome, or half-orc all can see 60' with their infravision - at least one of those would be a very welcome addition.