STICKY: Favorite Gary Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Well remembered. You captured what made him so much fun to work for; he was just a sometimes bemused regular guy. The caricature that Tramp did of him in the sleigh on the back cover of the mag really caught what you just described.

One question--what time of the year was it that you came to this mini-con? Fall, perhaps?

2. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Fall or late summer, yes.... I remember it was not "too" hot... but the days were still long.

That was a lifetime ago for me :D... so I trust not my memory so well.
    XXOOCC

3. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I'm pretty sure that was held in the Fall, shortly after I started there. If that is the one you remember, I was buzzing around doing games and stuff that weekend, but I was still a non-entity.

The lake is about six blocks away. For a 15-year-old, that is no great distance and the Legion Hall could seem to be "on it". My first GenCon, 1974, was in the Horticultural Hall which is half the distance, and I could not have told you where it was in relation to the lake. Our whole world was focused in that complex of buildings for those days.

4. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Gosh golly.... yer old Tim!

(ducks)

(and runs)

(like hell)

XXOOCC

5. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Yeah, I am, and it sucks.

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

You can't be old, Tim. Why? Because all these young kids I talk to tell me they thought the creators of D&D and all the "early guard" were a bunch of young college students. That seems to be the general consensus and, for some reason, none of them want to believe me when I try and set them straight.

7. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Show them a picture.... that should dispel any lingering doubts.

8. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Tell them the truth.

"Just becuase these guys were at Parkside for four days a year doesn't mean they were college students."

XXOOCC

9. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

I'm the "old" one around here with the senile mind to go with it!

I showed up at Gary's house on my 2006 "Con Quest." He recognized my "name" and invited me in. Said they alternated RPG and board game nights and that was the night for San Juan. Poured a glass of Maker's Mark for me and I remember doing well in the game, but not good enough to win. In fact, I don't remember who did. I don't really even remember what we talked about. I know I recounted some of my trip for him, especially the neat little things one finds at neat little cons. I met Gail, a gracious hostess at the time and that made me feel totally at home. He signed my LA books and my Castle Zagyg.

Now, I spend too much time on boards like this, hammering on this machine that's way beyond my expertise, but I can always say that I sat down fro a drink, a smoke and a game with Gary.

10. rossik

rossik Footpad

John Bobek just told me a great story about one of his roleplaying experiences with Gary and Ernie:

"My first experience with a dedicated RPG was playtesting D+D in Gary’s house at 330 Center St. in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I no longer the time nor reason, but I have a vivid memory of being with Ernie Gygax and facing a room. Do I enter? Ernie agreed to enter the room with me as I was certain that nothing too bad would happen to me if I went with Gary’s young son. Hah! Gary chortled and revealed that Ernie and I were instantly transported to the center of the Earth, crushed lifeless by the weight of rock above us!
    Gary had run his dungeon in real time. The longer you waited to make a decision, the greater odds that something unpleasant was going to happen to you. When I’ve done RPG adventures, I keep to Gary’s direction. The game then flows more like a movie than a game. I try to keep to this with the miniature games that I’ve designed (and judged) as well!"

11. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I don't have any cool stories about Mr. Gygax other than me asking a stranger for a light at Gencon 99ish, only later to learn who that stranger was.

Also wanted to mention the online game where Gary is given a special area.
    During the Halloween events (and others too I think), lots of big nasties come out a-running around the graveyard. The only safe place in the cemetary is around the nice little 'shrine' area dedicated to the man.
    That, and the virtual d20 you recieve for completing the graveyard adventures.
    It is called "The Voice Of The Master". Having the special die on your character sheet gives you an extra 5% xp anywhere in the game. It has nothing but 20s all the way around it. That would be a FANTASTIC idea for a GaryCon sovignoir, soveneair, souvenier, ....mmmm ....collectable, better than t-shirts.

Edit....but I still want my T-shirt :cool:

12. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Taking 'the Tour' would have to be my favorite Gary story now. Wow, LG was rockin back then.

13. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

My favorite Gygax story happens to be the only one I have.

A friend and I visited GenCon for the first and only time in 2001. This was the year that TrollLords was launching (IIRC) their Castles & Crusades system, and Gary was assisting them with promotions while at GenCon. It took me a couple of days before I finally timed it right when Gary was sitting at the TrollLords booth with a couple of the founders. I got in the line early hoping to meet and chat briefly with the co-creator of the foundation of the game I loved so much: AD&D.

So after waiting for a dozen others to spend their time with Mr. Gygax I finally made it to the booth. He handed me a pair of mottled green six siders with the TrollLords website on them (I still have them in my primary dice bag to this day) and said hello. I asked him to autograph the 1993 TSR Master Catalog Collector's Edition hardbound book where I had been collecting autographs for 7+ years from TSR’s writers and artists – most of them pioneers of the AD&D game. I then shook his hand and thanked him for creating the game that I had joyfully been playing for nearly 20 years of my life (regularly since Jan 1983).

He looked up at me with a gleam in his eye, shook his head in woe and said, “I’m so sorry”.

Hah hah - I was speechless. I didn’t know what else to say. I fully understand he was joking, but I expected to hear something more like “hey that’s great! Thanks for the years of support”. But instead he was as real as he could be by offering his condolences on all the time I had lost on the game. Hah hah.

I now wish I had not been so gun-shy about meeting Gary. Seeing all these stories about the wonderful lengthy conversations and time spent gaming with him make me a little envious. And even though I met him only briefly one time ten years ago, I will say that I did tear up when I heard of his passing. Each year in the month of March I try to make time to hold a game in his honor. And finding out about Gary Con too late in 2011 with no time to plan to attend (birth of my first grandbaby took precedence – sorry) disappointed me. But come hell or high water I will be there in 2012.

The wife has been warned. *sly grin*

Hoyt

14. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Then I will be looking forward to greeting you.

15. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I too, only have one Gary story. I only met him the last year he came to Gen Con. I brought my copy of D3: Vault of the Drow for him to sign and thanked him for all the years of good gaming he provided me. He talked to me about how innovative Vault of the Drow was for its time and that he had a good time creating that world.

When we (my gaming group) heard that he died, we had a roll-off. I ran upstairs, grabbed my signed copy of Vault of the Drow (Erol Otus signed it, too) and did a quick fame rub.

I rolled a 20!

2012 will be my third Gary Con. It's definitely a yearly vacation for my wife and I now.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hoyt- I am glad you are going to make it to Gary Con IV! Make sure to pre-reg early and take advantage of the Gary Con forum special (cheaper badges and pre-order t-shirts). The fun will start Thursday this year and it is a great way to make friends early before it gets a bit more crowded and busy with "official events". See you in March!

Luke

17. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Thursday!?!?!? ..someone forgot to tell me that... OK.

18. Dale

Dale Administrator

Thursday is being billed as a Day 0 event. The gaming rooms will be available for any open gaming. We don't plan to have "scheduled" games- just a bunch of random gaming and the traditional 5 pm gathering at Next Door Pub.

More details to come in the coming months.

19. go0gleplex

go0gleplex Level 0 Character

Sounds fun. Still eagerly waiting on the pre-reg opening. (camped out in line on the sidewalk) :ugeek:

20. grodog

grodog Troubadour

All day gaming on Thursday sounds great :D