Gary Con IV Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ghul

ghul Chevalier

My Gary Con IV events so far:

HYPERBOREA - Rats in the Walls
    System: Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
    Referee: Jeff Talanian
    Players: 3-8
    Levels: 1-3 (Pre-generated characters to be supplied.)
    Adventure Description:
    In the City-State of Khromarium, a dockside tavern is plagued with rats of a most unusual breed. These abominable rodents have ruined the tavern keeper’s business and his life. The man is desperate, and he offers a substantial reward for the elimination of his horrific problem.

HYPERBOREA - Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes
    Levels: 1-3 (Pre-generated characters to be supplied.)
    Adventure Description:
    In the depths of the Diamond Desert lie the skeletal remains of Ymir's Serpent, a legendary Viking longship. In days of yore, Sigtrygg Forkbeard led his company upriver, into the desert's hostile heart. They unearthed a lost mine brimming with red diamonds, but as the Serpent made its return, the river went dry and the ship was swallowed by the dunes. Forkbeard and company were never to be seen again, but tales of the desert ghost ship persist. Presently, an elderly magician has devised "irrefutable means" to locate the wreck and reap its treasure trove, but he requires able-bodied assistance.

HYPERBOREA - Taken From Dunwich
    Levels: 4-6 (Pre-generated characters to be supplied.)
    Adventure Description:
    On an inclement night, the Keltic village of Dunwich was assailed by degenerate beast-men wearing strange, glowing headbands. They killed several villagers and abducted several more before returning to their lair sequestered within the soaring peaks of the Spiral Mountain Array. Now, local druids offer land and title for proper resolution to this tragedy.

+ + + + + + + + +

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea is a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird-fantasy designed by Jeffrey Talanian (Castle Zagyg, Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent) and illustrated by Ian Baggley (Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent). It is fully developed and currently being edited. Plans are on schedule for a Gary Con IV release.

2. WSmith

WSmith Level 0 Character

I am locked in!!!! I think since this will be my first Gary Con, I will not run anything and just play to get the feel for the Con.

Ghul, expect me to be at, at the very least, one of your tables. :)

All this talk of games has me jazzed! :mrgreen:

3. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Pending approval, here's what I submitted for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings.

Event Title: Early Bird AD&D - No Sleep Necessary
    DM Name: Ken Haylock
    Game System: AD&D (First Edition)
    Day: Friday and Sunday
    Start Time: 8:00am
    Duration: 3.5 hours
    Experience: Beginner
    Maximum Players: 10

Description: Out where the settled lands end, and the wilderness begins, is the realm of Nemrac. The local Sheriff needs answers, and he wants you to find them. Gnomes have started disappearing, and nobody knows why. A mass exodus, or something more? Either way, the Sheriff's offering gold to find out! This mini-adventure is geared toward new or less experienced AD&D players, but long-time players whose coffee hasn't kicked in yet can have a blast, too! 1st-level pre-generated characters will be provided.

Event Title: Early Bird Star Frontiers - No Sleep Necessary
    DM Name: Ken Haylock
    Game System: Star Frontiers
    Day: Saturday
    Start Time: 8:00am
    Duration: 3.5 hours
    Experience: Beginner
    Maximum Players: 10

Description: So you're on First Contact... you know the protocols, you've done this before. Except for the part where your ship gets shot down by the Sathar as you enter orbit, killing the diplomatic team... and if that wasn't enough, your lifepod looks like it's the sole UPF survivor. Fortunately, your crew got the Sathar as well, but they have a lifepod away, too. You'll both come down well away from the inhabitants' settlements, and each other, too. Now it's a race to see which of you meets the planet's inhabitants first. What kind of impression will you make, and can you make all these broken eggs into an omelet? Pre-generated characters provided.

And Jeff, I hope I can get into one of your games again!

4. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Very nice, good to see Star Frontiers represented at the convention! :)

5. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I finished the rough draft on, The False Prints last week and sent it to perhaps the most skilled, and giving editor I could find... James Ward. I mentioned to him that I thought it was a bit long, and needed a bit of chainsawing. He wrote back to tell me that I needed to expand a few sections. sigh...

I then wrote another, slightly less "Chris-esque" and slightly more classic D&D1e adventure for the show. Tim has been kind enough to edit that one, and did indeed inform me that I had ommitted about three paragraphs that actually explain why everything is working in the fashion that it does throughout the adventure.

I am not a great writer. I do have great editors. :D

Keep your eyes peeled - once I know it won't spoil any surprises, I may just provide a bit more meat with the potatoes on this second adventure. Until then its all very much on the down-low, if I might wax ebonic.

XXOOCC

6. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Pardon my ignorance, but how long will it take for the events I submitted to show up as Approved? Or did you hear what a horrible DM I was last year.... ;)

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

You can always expand your slot to 6 hours; 8 hours if needed. Why cut content to try and meet some arbitrary time constraint ;-)

These sound like they are going to be awesome.

8. ghul

ghul Chevalier

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

9. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Totan - I'm getting old! :D I can't reliably DM for more than about a 4-hour stretch without a beer ...errr coffee, yeah that's it "coffee" break. Aside from that, any cuts or expansions will likely not effect the playtime of the adventures in question, just the finished/printed length of the adventure, not to mention the amount of time I'll need to put in polishing said adventure for final print.

The second adventure, which is a bit hush-hush, has also been completed, and is, in fact, thru the 'rough layout' stage.... BOTH WILL appear at Gary Con. This one has seen input from none other than the exalted Timothy Kask, and its been a blast working with him on this. Again, once I have the nod from some folks at con management, I'll speak more on this adventure.

3 months... yikes. I could stand to have six....

I have also submitted a few boardgames of the wackier but heavily-resource management oriented genre: The Stripey Hole (a prison escape game), Gigantic (escaping from the sinking Gigantic/Titanic while ensuring that no one else does ), and Brunch at the Coliseum... and I might even bring Exploring the Depths of Uranus if Luke and the gang ok it (its actually at worst a PG-rated game). I also plan to bring my new Inner City company space rpg, Lance, for some playtesting with anyone that can tolerate a prototypical rpg.

...and I'll be running a couple of Eldritch adventures that might just be debuting at the con.... which I will of course run as either 1st ed. or Lejendary Adventure.

Let these guys know your preferences as I can neither bring, nor run, it all.
    XXOOCC

10. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Well then, 8 hour slots it is for you, as booze never seems to be in short supply at Gary Con - for better or worse.

11. mark

mark Spellbinder

What's the deadline for event submission to ensure being in the program, please?

12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Mark,

IIRC you have until the end of January to submit. I will double check with Dale- the lead on the guide book- and post up if I am mistaken.

Luke

13. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Is there supposed to be a 'sneak peek' of the event list somewhere around the holidays, or did I make that up?

14. mark

mark Spellbinder

Thanks! :)

15. Melf

You are correct mordrin. I am awaiting info on several Legends of Wargaming Events. This year we will have the good fortune of some additional IFW and Castles and Crusades Society Veterans attending and running games. I have my fingers croosed that Mike Reese (tractics) and Mike Megarry (Dungeon Boardgame) will be at Gary Con IV. Its looking like we will have some great classic Chainmail battles on an actual sandtable (Battle for Brown Hill, Moat House), Tractics, Don't Give Up The Ship (with Mike Carr as referee) and Dungeon games among others. With luck the VIP/special event sneak peak will be out by Christmas.

16. Melf

Mark,

You have up to 11 FEB 12 to submit events. Of course, we would like them submitted as in the next couple weeks. That gives us more time to review, analyze space requirements and layout the event guide.

And a big thanks to all that support Gary Con by submitting events and share their love of gaming with all of us.

Happy Holidays!

Luke

17. mark

mark Spellbinder

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you too!

18. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

My events have been approved. I guess I should finished writing them. :p

19. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I changed the description for my Vampire:Dark Ages event. It wrote out differently then I had first thought.

A Wake In The Night

"Gather round, young ones,that I might tell you a rare tale from the, Book of Nod. I am very old now but there are others much older, the Antediluvians. Feared above all, they sleep, dreaming of their return. However, even their dreams can become nightmares. Once every 500 years, they must arise and replenish their power by drinking from, the Vessel of Caine. For this single night they are vulnerable to their progeny. That time is upon them again and if you listen hard enough, you can hear their waking cries; they are hungry, they are weak and they are afraid..."

In this one, the players get to actually play the 3rd Gen Antidiluvians! But there is one catch. The ancient vampires are in a weakened state and ripe to be diablerized by their younger progeny. Like one who awakens in the middle of the night to get a glass of water, they must, each half a millenia or so, rise and restore their strength by drinking from the lost Vessel of Caine (And what is the Vessel? Even they do not remember, for in their long torpor they find their memory shaky, forcing them to rediscover the nature of the Vessel with each time). To make matters worse, despite the fact that each time they are moved to a new location, they always seem to draw to themselves their more powerful progeny, who seek to steal their founders' power for themselves. The players must get the Antidiluvians through the night with their blood intact, find the lost Vessel of Caine and restore their might before once more going to ground to await their final awakening...

The original idea is not one I can take credit for, as a friend mentioned a very similar plot to me many years ago, but I have always liked the idea and so decided to fully flesh it out. It will use the Dark Ages ruleset. Hope to see you at the table. :)

20. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well, my events are approved. It's still gonna be tough for this old coot, 'cause I have a ton o' work on my plate. All the adventures are written and maps for three of them. I'm going to go a few days past the first to see if Treebore is going to make and if he isn't, I'll open my room for roommates. Be warned, you'll be staying with a literal "dirty old man." Damned health is still doggin' me.