20 Years of Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Melf, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I looked at the date earlier today and realized that today was my 20th anniversary of enlisting in the Army. If I had stayed active duty, I would be retired! Instead I have 12 more years in boots. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was retired anyways.

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Wow! Congratulations, Luke. I really respect your dedication to your career. It's not many people that are willing to spend that much time in one field. (I know I left the field I'm in after 8 years before returning again a few years ago.)

May all go well for you as you "keep on keeping on."

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Congrats, Luke!! Proud to know you & THANK YOU for all the years. GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY! :D

4. amalric

amalric Level 0 Character

One of my friends served 22 years in our army, did tours of the Gulf and Iraq, and finished just a couple of years back. Now he's setting up and running all sorts of outdoor activites - rope bridges, quad biking, etc - and having a blast.

5. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Congratulations Luke! Hopefully your next 12 years in boots go quick.

I've only got 4 years in and plan to keep at it until they throw my wrinkled old *ss out in 21 years. A buddy of mine (a year younger) is an active duty Marine officer and is coming up on his 20, lucky dog. He's getting out and taking over his family's farm in Virginia. When he first mentioned it, the first thought that popped in my head was Sam Neil's character in Hunt for Red October, the Soviet navy officer that wanted to raise rabbits in Montana <g>

6. MAJ Bill

MAJ Bill Level 0 Character

I have 23 years in, and I also plan on staying in until they boot me out. After coming off of active duty the first time, I have had a number of years in the civillian work force. I far prefer being back in uniform now.

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I suspect that I will look to stay in longer than 20 active. I have a 2 year old daughter and I hope to continue propogating the species. So "retiring" with a 14 year old daughte and some number of younger kiddos is not the best plan. Of course I could always become a full time game designer. That is sure to earn me a vast fortune :lol:

8. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Congrats from me too, Luke!