2014 BEST EVER

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sir jon, Mar 31, 2014.

1. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I want to thank all of the GaryCon folk for making it happen, again. It was above and beyond the call of duty. All gamers should know the excess of focus you all give to those of us that revere Gary as the Man That Made it All Happen. Appreciations abound.

I also want to give proper admiration to the gaming community for taking a silly concept as Steal Dale's Coffee and just running with it to places even Dale can't fathom. That's bloody cool!

Jon

2. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Twas a most excellent con indeed.

Back home now and exhausted.

3. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

The con rocked! It always amazes me how much effort you all put into making this a wonderful experience. Props to all the Gary Con organizers, staff & volunteers.

Games are only as good the GM & all my GMs were great. Thanks for running; all eight of my games were a lot of fun.

Shout out to all the people I played with. You made each of the games a memorable experience.

& finally, thanks to all the vendors, you brought an excellent selection of gaming material & I spent way too much money.

In addition, to whomever was responsible for this, bless you for getting salads added to the menu.

Cheers,

Shiv

P.S. Dale & Luke, when does registration for Gray Con VII open? :D

4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I had a fantastic time as well. My only criticism would be the food. It was great to have salads on the menu, but I never got a chance to order them. The resort had way too few waiters and waitresses. The table service was much, much better last year. That isn't a knock against the wait staff. They were as friendly as ever. There just weren't enough of them (on the game floor or in the restaurant) to provide service. Other than that, it was a great con.

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I concur, it was the best Gary Con yet, despite the hiccups. The biggest one we encountered was there NEVER being someone running the Joust whenever my wife and I could stop by. As a result, we were unable to compete for the first time in several years :(. Other than that, the food was much improved, The Lodge staff seemed more attentive, and the games were as good as ever. I'm already thinking about what I'm going to run next year!

6. jephraim

jephraim Level 0 Character

This was my first GaryCon, and I had a great time! It's something I will definitely be returning to in the future!

7. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I thought I was participating in SDC when I arrived on Wednesday. I stole the coffee maker that was sitting on the table by badge pick-up. I thought I would get bonus points for that until someone informed me it was actually Luke's coffee maker :( ... so I put it back. Other than that I had a blast- got to see some old friends, met a lot of new friends, and played some great games. Can't wait for next year!

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Thanks to everyone for making this a great time, from the organizers to the referees to the players to the staff at the hotel. Good job all around! Looking forward to next year already.

9. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Awesome.

10. Old_Skool

Old_Skool Level 0 Character

My first time and a fantastic time!

GaryCon is a certainly a fitting tribute to a "life well played". The memorabilia wall that was set-up downstairs in the central gaming area was truly great and inspiring, as was the Front Porch gaming arena. Happiness everywhere you looked.

I gotta say that I feel like I have experienced my true first Gen Con.

And I even paid a visit to the Horticultural Hall to make it all sink in!!!

Thanks to all the folks who made the MAGIC of this convention happen!

Larry

11. Dale

Dale Administrator

We appreciate the kind words of support, but realize one thing. Gary Con is not possible without the support of all of the attendees. So in a large way- everyone that attends and contributes to the fun is why the convention is a huge success!

We are greatly humbled by the response to GCVI. It has been overwhelming.

12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I want to echo what Dale said. Thanks to all of you who come and support Gary Con and especially those GMs that run events. It is our honor and priveledge to coordinate this event in memory of my father. It keeps getting better every year due in large part to the efforts of many dedicated individuals and all the amazing guests that attend year after year. Gary Con VII promises to be another fantastic adventure!

Luke

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

14. francisca

francisca Troubadour

My report is pretty short:

I had a great time, with a few caveats. The caveats being: I had a few games which were a bit spoiled by some of my fellow gamers. When you are 30/40-something, it's pretty cool to be able to go back and play a game you played when you were 12. However, you shouldn't act like a 12 year old when other people are trying to have a good time. I mean, I'm not captain serious here....but there are some limits to silliness, and frankly, an adult playing "gross out" is beyond the pale. The first time you ask if your bowels relax and evacuate when rolling a save vs. paralyzation is, well, stupid....but the 3rd or 4th time? You're being a jerk. I guess this is inevitable, with the con growing, you're going to pull in some of the fringes and stereotypical "bad" gamers, but I sure hate to see it happen to *this* con.

15. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

16. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

17. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Thanks for the DGS mention Sir Jon, and I promise not to inappropriately grope you next year. All my gropes will be totally appropriate. ;)

18. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Aw. I have so many inappropriate things to say to that.