2014 Registration Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mordrin, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Getting a lot of repeats of similar questions, so hopefully a consolidated Sticky will head them off.

Badge Pre-Registration
    Early Bird Registration ends Sunday (12/1) at Midnight (I don’t know what time zone, but why wait to the last second?). Regular badge registration will be available for a few more months.
    http://www.garycon.com/articles.php?formid=15

Badge Options
    The full-con badge options for 2014 are:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1151&p=13110#p13110

Platinum – For the gamer who wants a lot of event registration coins http://www.lordkilgore.com/wordpress/wp ... 10/enc.jpg Limited supplies, when they’re gone, they’re gone! (SOLD OUT)
    Early Bird – Standard registration, with 3 free stadium cups* as a reward for signing up early. Only available through 12/1 (EXPIRED)
    Silver – Standard registration, but only 1 free stadium cup (Only until 2/22)

* Stadium cups sold separately are $25/3 or $10/1. One gets free/cheap pop, one gets free/cheap beer, one just lets people know you’re cooler than they, because you went to GaryCon.

4Day Onsite - $45. You play, but no preregistering for events, obviously
    1Day Onsite - $25. Play for a day viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1237

Spectator badges will also be available (cost undetermined) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1151&p=13184#p13184 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1237

I see previous documentation that says "Children 7 and under do not require a badge". I believe that is still up to date & accurate.
    http://www.garycon.com/attendees.php

Event Registration

At GaryCon, you pay once for a badge and events are free to play in.
    However - for many reasons (high demand for many events, desire for GMs to see that their event will run, players to be able to count on having a certain number of guaranteed games, etc) there IS a pre-registration for events (and, be forewarned, perhaps around half of them will go quite fast...) .
    The events are free, but to help 'spread the wealth' a bit, players are limited in how many they can preregister for. That's where the GP and SP come in.
    Events are assigned a cost (generally based on a rough staff guesstimate of their popularity, due to GM, system, time slot, and seats available) and registrants can preregister for events until the event is full or until their gold and silver run out, according to which type of badge they purchased.
    Premier events with VIP GMs typically cost 1-2 GPs, "standard" events are usually 2-5 SPs*.
    * Historically. The amount of coin your badge gets you and how much the events cost change slightly from year to year as The Powers That Be try to fine tune things.

The event list will probably be up sometime in the neighborhood of New Year’s. Actual event registration usually opens about a month-ish after that. Event pre-registration does usually close a couple weeks before the con (February 22nd). Again, don’t try and wait till the last minute.

As noted above, you must have a badge to buy events.

Although your account may show some “leftover” coins, when you register for this year they disappear. ie, coins from previous years do not carry over.
    Also, there is not usually any form of conversion between GP and SP. They are simply colorful names for “points for registering in VIP games” and “points for registering in standard games”. No ‘conversion rate’ of 10-1 or whatever is intended to be implied by their names.
    Lastly, coins do not transfer from person to person.

Experience points and level may still appear on your account page. There were once plans to do something with them, but probably not anymore. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1157&p=13163#p13163

PLEASE NOTE: None of this is “official GaryCon word”, unless there’s a link to Melf/Donal/Dale from this year saying so. Otherwise, it’s just me trying to help the new and forgetful by telling you how things normally go down.

I will update as any new information becomes available.
    If I’ve misremembered anything, apologies and I will happily correct after you PM me. (A thread link showing evidence to the contrary would be great, if you can find it).
    Procedures do get tweaked a lot from year to year.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

Mordrin,

Excellent work, sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.