24 Heures Du Mans at GaryCON II

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhuvein, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Hey all.

Great, great game this was. Really a blast!! In fact, Saturday night at 3:30 AM drunk as hell - I got on eBay and bought a excellent copy of this game!! :p

I had some nice qualifying runs to get in the 2nd row. I was never able to catch the leader, but had some great racing for 2nd place. Several drivers battled with me for the position and over took me at times. I spun out once, but drove aggressively and was able to get back, as another driver spun out, took damage and had to pit.

So . . my driver, Jean Pierre Ruvanne drove to a 2nd place finish in his Yellow 3 Joest Porsche.

Here's some pics, a link that talks about the 24 hour game that Mike ran in the Dungeon Hobby Shop and a short vid:

[​IMG]
    Unpacking the cars and getting ready to distribute the jerseys.

[​IMG]

You can see the pits and then up the track, the Dunlop Bridge (dotted lines), the Esses turn and the Tertre Rouge turn before the long straightaway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Porsche team adviser Harold Johnson talking to Jean Pierre Ruvanne. Harold was in that 24 game that Mike ran (as mentioned above).

[​IMG]

Mike adjudicating the race from the middle of the track!

[​IMG]

Joest Porsche yellow 3 was one of several cars that had the top speeds.

[​IMG]

Monsieur Ruvanne smiling for the press after checking his stats.

Short vid - negotiating the first S turn, I think I was in 3rd place.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68mQ4fQVto

Link to Dungeon Shop article:
    http://community.wizards.com/wotc_husca ... n#comments

8)

2. randomengine

randomengine Level 0 Character

Congrats on winning the grand prize for the A group.

3. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Thanks. It was a nice poster of 2 porsches at the 1971 Le Mans (for those that didn't see it). I left it in
    one of the gaming rooms on Saturday night and was bummed out Sunday. Until Luke recovered it and gave it
    to one of the race organizers. So, I saw it and re-claimed it.

:p

4. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Heh, I look like I'm sleeping.

Congrats on your victory, Rhuvein. :)

5. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Thanks, man.

Heh, I think you were mentally preparing for the race - you know visualizing every turn and part of the track!! :D

It was great to meet and game with you Richard.

:ugeek:

6. nguilbault

nguilbault Level 0 Character

This was a great game to play in. I drove the #34 car to a nice lead (A class) but unfortunately had to recruit another driver to finish (they did finish in first!) as time went over and I had to leave to catch Ward's MA game. You guys in back gave me a few scares (especially with your higher top speeds) but the dice were on fire for me.

Cheers and good race!

Noah

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

It looked like a great game!

I think Mike Carr was having a blast. I hope he decides to run it again next year.

8. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I'd definitely love to see this game again. When I first got to the table, I nearly bailed because I couldn't see myself walking around the board for 8 hours. I'm really glad I gave it a chance. This game is friggin awesome. It was really great to play against people like Ross. I have a sneaking suspicion that I could have done a lot better had we gone loner than 4 hours. :) I'd love to see this game go 8-24 hours at the next con. Hell, if we could set it up for a 24-hour run, I'd love to see how many cars actually would finish, let alone press for 4 hours like several people did. Seriously, this game kicked ass. I'd buy a copy if it was available and in my price range. :)

9. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

You ran a great race, well done and congrats.

Yes, your team driver was Nancy (wife of former TSR employee, Tim "Ollie" Cahoon - he joined the race as well). I got close, but could not catch your car.

10. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I'm pretty sure Mike said he would run it again. I'll be in it for sure. :)

11. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Yep, I'd like to see it go longer as well - twould change some strategies, methinks. Less pressing, less taking chances through the turns, faster cars in the middle and back would have some chances to move up and maybe challenge the leaders.

I can just imagine the fun of having weather and needing to utilize the pits. I hope to get my copy of the game this week.

:cool:

12. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

This was one of the highlights of the con for me. I will definitely be racing next year, and I think an 8 hour race is a minimum. It would be a lot of fun to be able to enter as a three driver team and play the full 24 :D

13. Donal

Donal Administrator

Ah, the big cars and huge maps. They make me want to break out Car Wars for a huge arena duel.

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

Steve Jackson would be proud.

:D

15. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I got to play some Car Wars (when a new edition was coming out) with Steve Jackson in Memphis a few years back. I must say that he was really kewl about explaining the game to those who weren't familiar with it. Seemed like a pretty nice guy.....until the Federal Marshall training started up at the same Con. :shock:

16. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I would try the Car Wars game, if someone brought it!

I got my Le Mans game and have been playing the heck out of it. Fun and addicting. The Monte Carlo course is excellent too!

:cool:

17. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I'd love to know where and how you got a copy. :D

18. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

19. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

If only I wasn't a college student. lol

20. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I'll have to ask Mike how long of a race he is able to run at GC III. If he has a few assistants he could run 8, 16 or even a full 24 hours. I am definitley not making a commitment for Mike, but I can ask if he is willing and see if there are enough people to form 8-12 3 man teams. It seems like it was a great game and another one that I will have to try to make time for next Gary Con.