All Role-Playing Games Are Dungeons & Dragons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wcw43921, Jan 7, 2013.

1. wcw43921

wcw43921 Footpad

That's the impression I get--and I imagine anyone else would as well--from the movies and TV shows that feature tabletop RPGs as a plot device or a pastime the characters are shown playing.

IMBD Page For Role-Playing Games In Movies

IMDB Page For Role-Playing Games On TV

Whether it's the game itself (like Dead Gentlemen's The Gamers and its sequel, or the Freaks & Geeks episode where they played the game) or a fictionalized version (like Mazes And Monsters), RPGers are always shown playing some sort of heroic fantasy game with dwarves, elves, orcs, dragons, wizards and warriors where they gather around a table, roll polyhedral dice, and occasionally talk about life outside the game.

There is reason for this--for the vast majority of people outside RPGs, Dungeons & Dragons is the only RPG they know; they've never heard of Traveller, or Champions, or Top Secret, or Aces & Eights, and have no idea the other genres are represented. It's like people outside of comic book fandom who only think that comics=superheroes, whereas those who actually read and enjoy comics know that simply isn't so.

We are occasionally shown people who play other genres besides fantasy--in the documentary The Dungeon Masters there is a brief scene where some of the players are shown playing a superhero RPG--it isn't said which. (There is also a deleted scene where one guy is shown in his basement playing City Of Heroes.) Perhaps the best-known example is the movie Cloak & Dagger starring Dabney Coleman and Henry Thomas (a real-life RPGer at the time). The opening scene has his character Jack Flack at one point being chased through the street by a pair of giant polyhedral dice; in a later scene when Thomas' character's father takes his games away from him, one of them is shown to be a Traveller deluxe set (blue-black box with an illustration of a spacecraft on the front).

Those are the only examples I'm aware of; if there are any others please let me know. Just something that occured to me.