Auction Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I had a question about the auction. My wife and I are attending GC III and are thinking about taking a plane. With that in mind, I don't think I'll be able to bring a number of my duplicates I've got that I'd like to donate for the auction.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might get the items to Lake Geneva? Once I go through my collection again it may turn out to be quite a few items....many of which are 1E. I'm not sure right now because I still haven't gotten new shelves put up and haven't been able to go through it all and see what I won't to keep and what I'm willing to part with. ;)

I'm also wondering if the hotel offers mailing service. Because if I pick up any items at GC, I'll probably have to send them back via postal service or FedEx. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

Yes, the hotel will receive the packages & hold the for you. Just contact the Lodge and they will give you the info. We did this last year and it worked great.

Thanks for thinking about donating to the auction! It is much appreciated!

3. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, thanks GP! Its much appreciated! :D

4. Donal

Donal Administrator

While the hotel does receive mail, last year it took them some doing to find some of mine. If you prefer, we have a few alternate addresses where we would be happy to receive mail closer to the Con (both staff/volunteers who drive to GC as well as as Lake Geneva addresses that can receive mail).

Just drop me a PM when we're closer to the Con and we can figure something out.

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, looks like I won't have a problem. My wife decided it would be cheaper for us to drive so she's more than willing to save us a bit of cash by having us drive up north.

Definitely looking forward to it.

6. pana

pana Level 0 Character

For those that dont know me, I am a long time gamer and very heavy into building terrain for gaming. As such I built the dungeon cavern demo for the Kenzer booth at gencon, as well ran thier learn to hack demos on it. I have been tossing the idea around to build a modular dungeon for auction at Garycon. I am curious to see the interest in it. If the people who run the event think its a good idea I will be happy to build the dungeon and post links to pics as it progresses.

So basicly my question is this : Is there an interest for you guys running the auction and the people bidding on the auction in a modular dungeon 3 foot by 4 foot layout?

The dungeon will have limitless options for layout and design. If you would like a sample of my work I can provide links as well. I am sure if you send Dave or Jolly from kenzer an email they will confirm my work as well. I know that Garycon is about the spirit of old school gaming, this is why I pose the question. I do not want to do anything that would be deemed as disrepectful to the spirit of the event.

thanks for your time
    Pana

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Too kewl!! I'm game!
    Let the bidding begin! :D

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I personally would not be interested simply due to the storage requirements. I do think that stuff is really cool though and wish I had the space to dedicate to such things.

I don't think such a thing would be contrary to the spirit of Gary Con, because miniatures battles are a part of it, and in fact represent the roots of D&D. There was one or two large diorama type miniatures battlefields (including a sectional / break-away castle) last year. So unless your dungeon is only compatible with 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 (kidding, kidding...sort of kidding), then I don't see a theme problem.

9. Donal

Donal Administrator

Let me be sure I understand:

1) You want to build a 3x4 foot dungeon for miniatures... detailed and very well constructed
    2) You want to post updates and pictures as the construction continues, thus building and maintaining interest in the project (read: increasing value)
    3) You want to donate it to Gary Con to sell at the auction

Assuming these statements are all accurate... why on earth would we object?

If anything, I can see us pondering keeping such an item and creating an event in order to use it each year!

10. pana

pana Level 0 Character

Yes all the statements are correct.

If you are interested I can create one for you guys yearly to run events with as well. I did the same thing with Kenzer for thier demos and they have me slated to do a few more next year. I am happy to take the time to design it if someone on your staff wants to run an adventure. All I require is that someone writes up the adventure and sends me the map so I have a discription of what they want and a layout.

as far as storage, you will be able to store it in 2 med size pizza boxes. The whole dungeon will come provided with its storage containers as well for travel.

So if its a go I will start posting pics and keeping updates.

11. Dale

Dale Administrator

I think it is a cool idea, and hope it can become a yearly event. Gamers love stuff like this- and it just adds another element to what Gary Con is all about.

12. pana

pana Level 0 Character

indeed I think it could be a great idea. However I cannot run the game, Kenzer has me running demos for gary con. I can def. build it for you guys, but I need someone to write the content and make the map. I can then build it from that point and bring it with me or ship it prior. But I dont want to hijack this thread to much more then I already have. We can start another thread with regards to this if you want, or if you have anyone in mind with regards to an event you want ran, or someone who is running, feel free to get them in contact with me and we can get the ball rolling.

As for the one for the auction, That will for sure be one set up by me and very very modular. portable, low storage and very much in the spirit and playablity of RPGs

thanks for your time
    Pana

13. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

& we can call it, "The House that Pana built."
    :lol:
    (Can't wait to see the pics.)

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Pana,

This sounds absolutely fantastic! There is no reason to say no to such a generous offer. Thank you for offering. Please commence building! And send pics of the progress too. Awesome!

Luke

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I'd be happy to contribute map-making to the process. I use GIMP and tend to go with "old-school blue" but can do B&W as well. Feel free to check out some of my work in my sig. below. My most recent post is what I feel to be "publishable" quality, but of course, YMMV. :D

16. tavis

tavis Footpad

Pana & Dru, I'd be glad to work with y'all to design an adventure using your map & to run some sessions using it at GC3.

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.