Can't decide if I want to DM anything this year...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffery st. clair, Sep 12, 2014.

1. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

...or just be a full-time player (something I haven't done in several years).

Last year, I missed registration and by the time I got online I only found a few games I felt like playing that fit around my DM schedule. Then I got sick at the Con and missed playing in most of those. I still ran four games but had to bail on a fifth, and only played in one game the whole Con.

I'm still DMing the Lake Geneva Games AD&D game, and I DMed at Nexus in Milwaukee over the summer, but had a blast playing in Zeb Cook's game there. I guess I just miss playing (not that DMing sucks or anything).

What do you guys think?

2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

GaryCon is where I go to recharge my batteries by getting to play a lot. I'm the DM/GM/CK the rest of the year, so I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand, if you aren't there to run games in the 6:00 a.m. slots, who will get the convention going in the mornings?

3. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Ken, if you really, really just want to play, then do it! While I think GaryCon may be the lessor without your games, I completely understand the want for a year to just be a player. Plenty of time to decide.

4. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I'm tempted to do the same thing in 2015. I'm trying to write a trilogy of novels (the first of which is in editing) and I'm concerned that I won't have time to pull together any good adventures to run. Plus, I never feel like I get to try out as many games as I want to.

5. mark

mark Spellbinder

Except for the VIP games, there always seem to be plenty of options and lots of open gaming, plus the boardgaming options. I used to try and run tons of stuff then scaled it back to running two and playing the rest of the time. Maybe scale back to running a game or two if it is tough to totally play but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it if you wish to take a year and only play.

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

You deserve a break, Ken.