Conquest of Nerath at Garycon IV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the keeper, Jun 18, 2011.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I have started this thread as an area for discussions about the tournament I plan to run at Garycon IV. So, tell me what you think :?:

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Re: Gary Con IV
    Well next year I' am going to dedicate my time to ONE game. (Yes, I fallen in love with another new game!) I plan to run this game as a three day, elimination-round tournament.
    The first day, Friday, there will be 16 slots available. There will be two, two-player teams in four events/games. (Teams selected randomly). The winning teams, (four teams of two, eight players), of this event will progress to the next day, Saturday. New teams will then be randomly selected to face-off for round two. The two winning teams (four players) will then face each other, individually, on Sunday, for the championship. The final round will NOT be team play. All or nothing, ONE WINNER!
    &, no I haven't "NAMED THE GAME", yet, but I will!!!
    More tomorrow!!!

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Re: Gary Con IV
    Okay, it's tomorrow. The best way I can describe the game is like this.........
    If you were to take "Axis & Allies" & combine it into a "D & D " world you would have a game full of armies of humans & goblins & elves & undead. (YEP! It's got that.)
    These armies would be comprised of all sorts of things like, knights & warships & wizards & castles & skeletal warriors & siege engines & treants & storm elementals & DRAGONS. (Yep! It's got that too.)
    Next you would need some nations players could recognize, say The Iron Circle or the Vailin Alliance or the Empire of Karkoth or the Nerathan League. (Of course it has that.)
    Then you would want to sprinkle in some well known locations where heroes could spend some time relaxing, like "The Forbidden City", "The Temple of Elemental Evil" or the "Tomb of Horrors".
    (OH HELL YEAH!)
    Now some players wouldn't mind spending ten hours beating their opponents to a bloody pulp to FINALLY conquer their capital, but other players would prefer to acquire victory in a much shorter time, say 2-3 hours. (It has those options as well.)
    If this game sounds like your "cup-o-tea" then I would suggest you use the following link to read, & see, more.......
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/663 ... e-on-a-sch
    There is also an instructional video done by The Dice Tower, & here is that link..........
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/7549 ... -of-nerath

Gaming Forever,
    The Keeper

4. mark

mark Spellbinder

How many copies of the game do you think will be needed?

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Weel, it's a four player game, sixteen players for the first round, that would be.........
    4 copies, & possible one more for the tournament winner.

6. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Betting this'll be a fun one! And generally speaking I've never been as particularly partial to board games as roleplaying games...but this looks pretty freaking cool.
    (Hmmm...how to get more gaming time...)

Damn near mind-blowing that it'll be the only game you'll be doing (i.e., running?) though, Keeper! :shock:
    If so, it MUST be hella fun!
    :cool:

7. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Mmmmm...... one of my local friendly gamestores has this game marked down to $49.99, and I have $10 in store credit, and a $15 gift card.

I dunno, though. The 150th Anniversary edition of BattleCry is looking pretty good as well, and I'm already a bit adverse spending money on WotC products.

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Got to set it up last nite & look over the starting options. It's gonna be a SWEET game & tournament. :D

9. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Yeah, last year I was just to sick to really enjoy the convention. Hell, the whole time there I only had three Spotted Cows. (That's gotta change!!)
    Next year with only running one four-hour slot each day I will have more time to enjoy the con, play some games, shoot the breeze with fellow gamers & maybe, just maybe , have more than THREE BEERS!
    (& I better not be sick again!)

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

$49.99, plus another $25.00 off........That's what the original price of Axis & Allies was.
    Having owned the original Battlecry & now having Conquest of Nerath it's a no-brainer.
    CONQUEST OF NERATH! :D

11. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

No other comments so far, but, this post has had 170+ peeks which seems to mean people might be interested, so, I will continue to plan this multi-player event.
    The timeslot I have selected will be 10:00am-2:00pm each day; Friday, Saturday & Sunday. (Not to early, not to late.)
    As I stated in an earlier post the available slots for the first round (on Friday) will be sixteen, but I will have a sign up sheet available at the event table for "no shows" & proxys. The teams that win that day will progress to the semi-finals, on Saturday. Then the two teams (four players) that win that day will advance to the final round held on Sunday, but the final round will be individual play, no teams. Only one winner.
    Two home spun rules that will be in effect for these events will be as follows:

#1) Foot soldiers will be the only unit with "unlimited" builds. All other game units will be limited to the original number supplied in the game.

#2) Bidding for turn order will allow players to spend some, or none, of their limited resources to try to "buy" when they will play their turn; 1st, 2nd, 3rd or last. If all players do NOT wish to bid that turn then we will do the old fashion "roll the dice" to determine the turn order. This would also apply if 2-3 players decide not to bid. The player(s) that did bid would choose turn order while the remaining play(s) roll dice. AND in the event of a tied bid, those players would roll-off for turn order selection.

I have play tested both rules numerous times & they make the game even better, if that's possible.

Seeing as GC IV is going to be a four day convention I'am tossing around the idea of dragging this game with on Thursday to allow players a "test drive." Nothing like checking out the competition before hand.

Dats da plan......... :cool:

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

13. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Well my tournament has been submitted. Now it's up to the "powers that be" to make the final decision. I have decided to condense my orginal thoughts, & player paticipation, to two preliminary games on Thursday, followed up by the 'main course' on Friday. This means there is only eight slots available for this tournament, but I ran this tournament at the Fall Hoopla & it turned out great!
    Timeslots:
    Thursday 3/21/12, "Conquest of Nerath Tournament (Alliances)", 12:00pm until 6:00pm (2 games, 4 players per game. Two winning teams advance to Friday's final.)
    Friday 3/22/12, "Conquest of Nerath Tournament (Singles)", 12:00pm until 5:00pm (by invitation only- two winning teams, or alternates, from Thursday's tournament.)

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

IT'S BEEN APPROVED!!!! :D

15. mark

mark Spellbinder

How's your own schedule this year? Will you be getting in on Wednesday and staying through Monday?

16. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

The Mrs. & I will be staying at the hotel Thursday thru Sunday, even though we only live 10 minutes away. We will be around Wednesday for registration as I 'am the type that hates being late. (Early bird gets the worm & all that................worms, mmmm!) We'll probably get to excited to sit around the house early Wednesday afternoon & drive down to the hotel just to hang out. Maybe drag some people down to Lake Geneva Games as wednesday nites they have D & D gonig on, grab a bite to eat or something.
    My schedule for the entire week of Garycon is TOTALLY OPEN! (& I like it like that. :D )

17. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'd like to see that store while I'm in LG and should have time on Wednesday, and dinner is always a must. What's the name of that rambling place near the water? (*edit* Ah, Popeyes. I've enjoyed that in the past.) Any chance of a Conquest game breaking out on Wednesday? Or would that be too much of a good thing for your weekend?

18. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I already have my gaming table reserved at the store for wednesday night, so a game of Conquest is a shoe-in. (Along with anything else I've got in the gaming chest.)
    As far as eats are concerned I believe I seen something posted about a possible wednesday gathering at the Pub, or it was suggested by someone.
    As the date gets closer we'll have to exchange cell numbers & plan from there. :cool:

19. mark

mark Spellbinder

The game at the store sounds great and I'm in for Wednesday if you'll have room for me. Perhaps a quick bit of Wiz War could fill out the evening? Is that one of the games in the bottomless gaming chest? :) (I'll be sure to shoot you my #s.)

I had thought the Pub gathering was to remain on Thursday evening to ensure a good turnout, but I might be wrong on that.

20. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Always room for another gamer at the table :D & as far as Wiz War goes I have three copies pre-ordered thru the FLGS, (Friendly Lake Geneva Gamestore?), so as long as it arrives on time, & it should, it will be with me. (Thinking about running Wiz War as a closing event on the last day of the convention. ;) )
    Mama's already insisting on a game of Kingsburg as well, (It's one of her favorites.), & there's always Eclipse. (If you haven't played it yet, it's a MUST!)