Consensus on Scheduled Event or Open Gaming...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poindexter, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

What is the general consensus on running uncommon or potentially taboo RPGs such as Star Frontiers? Should they be run as a scheduled event or left for open gaming pick-up style gaming? What about d6 based RPGs? I have run these games at Gen Con and want to know if they are appropriate for Gary Con.

2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Not sure how Star Frontiers is taboo. It's been run at past Gary Cons.

Submit an event and see what happens.

I didn't look through all of the systems that are in the drop down but it's a lot.

Poindexter likes this.
  3. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I don't think there are many "taboo" games at GaryCon. As Gizmo suggests - submit the event you would like to run. They are all reviewed and my assumption would be that you don't see any problems with respect to the rule system you'd like to use.

Poindexter likes this.
  4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

The organizers have been quite explicit they welcome pretty much everything. Gary Con has an old school focus due to its origins in celebrating the life and works of Gary Gygax, but that focus is not exclusive. If you've got a system you want to run, by all means submit an event using it.

Poindexter likes this.
  5. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

Ok. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess it makes sense for me to submit my events and see what happens.

6. What the actual heck. What gave you the idea that Star Frontiers was taboo?

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I think the only RPG that might be frowned upon at Gary Con would be something like F.A.T.A.L. Anything else is fair game. I've run WEG Ghostbusters, WEG D6 Star Wars, Numenera, Paranoia, Hollow Earth Expedition, Fate Accelerated, in addition to D&D. I've played Dungeon Crawl Classics, D&D (BECMI), D&D 5th ed, Call of Cthulhu, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Star Wars (d20), Shadowrun 4th ed., Savage Worlds, Acrid Herald, Metamorphosis Alpha, and I'm sure others I've forgotten.

In fact, I usually concentrate on RPGs OTHER than D&D because there's no shortages of D&D games to be found at Gary Con, and I run D&D most of the time at home, so it's nice to run/play something else for a change.

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Oh. Now I have to come up with a game that'll get Banned For Life from GaryCon. Brainstorming commences.

**UPDATE** I have it.

Poindexter likes this.
  9. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

hey, i'm sorry to cause all the confusion on my use of the term 'taboo'. i was generally basing it off the last two years of attendance in which i failed to see any games in play, and certainly i was not everywhere at all times, in which the full set of polyhedral dice were not being used. of course that does not include the war-games and such, i am speaking of RPGs alone with this terming. now, as was said above, there is no shortage of D&D games (which is a great thing) and so i merely was thinking that games such as Star Frontiers might be taboo since i did not see it, or any like it, being played. but all is good since apparently it is not taboo and there might be people interested in playing it...

10. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I suspect any TSR rpg game will garner interest from attendees. Star Frontiers is a good choice to run. As would Boot Hill, Marvel Super Heroes, etc.

There have been a number games ran that did not include the full set of polyhedral dice being used. Examples are Lester Smith using the D6xD6 system or Larry Wickman using the WEGS Old Skool Fantasy system.

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

In the past, Star Frontiers is almost always a sell out. But you are correct, last year was a little light on it.