DnD Easter Eggs?

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by caalas, May 26, 2011.

1. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

Looking around I can find a few things here and a few things there. Anyone know of a great collection of DnD easter eggs and odd facts? I remember over hearing a story at GCII that a named character in one the original modules was an anagram of Gary's kids names, Melf's acid arrow... obviously came from Luke etc. If there's not a single place for this and other stories of TSR then i know what book needs to be written or at least collected in to a great website.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

3. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

The Greyhawk link was exactly what I was looking for. Now, we just need to compile a list of great stories :D

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I believe you'll find some "Easter Eggs" in the components of spell descriptions. For example, IIRC, legumes are used as a material component for a gust of wind spell (or something similar.)

Does anyone know of any other spells with such inside jokes?

5. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Glad to hear it (and thanks for the pointer, Dale :D ).

Oh, the material components are full of them (ESP has a cp component, cricket legs for Jump, etc.).

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

7. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Could be... I got to roll on the Miscibility Table at NTX in one of my "Black Reservoir" sessions this year (again; someone mixed potions last year too, IIRC)---and that's nearly as good as getting make someone roll System Shock :twisted:

8. kushal_fpost

kushal_fpost Level 0 Character

Thanks for the link Dale.

9. Gary told me once in a conversation that Nystul's Magic Aura spell (which creates only the appearance of an item being magical) was named for a stage magician (and therefore not REAL magic) he had known. I can't remember the first name (Dave Nystul?)

-Otto

10. Dale

Dale Administrator

Glad it was helpful, and welcome to the forum!