Dungeon Design Competition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubo, Sep 5, 2020.

?

Would you be interested as a player or designer/DM in a dungeon design competition at Gary Con?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2020.
  1. Player judge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Designer DM

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Kubo

Kubo Level 0 Character

We currently have RPG player contests at Gary Con and other conventions, but I have never seen any GM or game design contests. I have seen a few people complete the unnamed sample dungeon of the monastery and crypts on page 95 of the 1979 AD&D DM Guide book, and I once completed it myself for my players. (FYI: I have not played in or heard about the contents of anyone else’s completed sample dungeon). Would anyone be interested in putting their completed dungeon up against mine and others in a dungeon design competition? Not sure on the setup/rules, but likely each designer would DM their own game for players, and the players would grade the completed dungeon on a 1 to 10 scale regarding (1) the overall design, and (2) on the quality of the DMing. Not sure that we could get the players to play multiple versions of the dungeons for comparison, but perhaps we can get independent judges to circulate around, observe each game, compare notes, and give their own ratings. Not sure yet on prizes other than the fun of it or bragging rights. I guess that depends on general interest. (I am assuming a live, not virtual, games for the contest). Any thoughts or interest?

rredmond and Poindexter like this.
  2. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

it sounds interesting. judging will be difficult but i can see it sort of work. you would need a lot of player/judge participation to get it done right i think.