[ENnies] So you want to be an ENnies judge...

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by reveal, Jun 17, 2011.

1. reveal

reveal Chevalier

It's that time of the year again. The siren's call of the ENnies has been sounded and the question goes out; who will answer? Do you think you have what it takes to be an ENnies judge? Do you have the fortitude to stand up against the barrage of RPG products, the reflexes to navigate the plethora of text and toys, and the will to emerge with the finest goods produced during the year? If so, then this is a great opportunity for you!

Starting on July 1, 2011, people will be able to throw their hats into the ring and nominate themselves. The last day for nominating will be July 10, so you'll have plenty of time to make your decision. Voting for the judges will take place alongside voting for products and the winners will be announced at the ENnie Awards ceremony on August 5, 2011. Keep any eye out for my next post with a link to the form.

If you want more information about the current judges, please visit the judges page on the ENnie Awards site: http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/?page_id=12. Also, all current judges will be following this post, so feel free to ask questions of them.

If you are thinking about running, here's a list of criteria you'll need to remember. All judges must:

- be at least 18 years of age as of August 5th, 2011 and able to enter into a legal contract;
    - not have any professional relationship with any RPG publisher during the period from January 1st, 2010 to August 1st, 2012. Such relationships include unpaid work and work on free products;
    - declare any relationship with any publisher in which they receive money, product, or special consideration in exchange for their services;
    - be able to read English and communicate clearly therein.

If you have a relationship with a publisher, even as a playtester, it is important that you notify the ENnies board of this so that we may determine whether you are eligible to seek a judge position. In cases of a rule violation, conflict of interest, misrepresentation, or other factor(s) detrimental to the awards, the Board of Directors retains the right to alter the composition of the judging panel at any time.

Physical location is irrelevant - so long as you can accept packages year-round.

When you apply, you will be expected to fill out a questionnaire to help people best gauge how well they think you'll work as a judge. Here are a few sample questions:

- What styles and genres of RPGs do you enjoy most? Are there any styles or genres that you do not enjoy? Which games best exemplify what you like? Do you consider yourself a particular system’s, publisher’s or genre’s “fanboy/girl”?
    - How would you like to see the ENnies change (categories, policies, etc)? What should remain inviolate?

If you want to run, here is what is expected of you. All judges shall:

- access the ENnie Awards boards/e-mailing lists (for the purposes of corresponding with judges and interacting with directors and staff);
    - weekly on the designated ENnies forums and sharing an accurate list of what products they have received;
    - daily on the designated ENnies forums during judge deliberations (expected dates for 2012: June 1 - July 1);
    - act in a professional and impartial manner;
    - sign a non-disclosure agreement;
    - in the event that they are removed from office, bear the expense of returning and/or forwarding the products received for review;
    - pay any customs duties charged for submissions;
    - if they attend Gen Con – Indy, work a minimum of two hours at the ENnies booth;
    - if they attend Gen Con – Indy, attend the awards ceremony smartly attired;
    - report to the Submissions Coordinator and Business Manager.

And, besides being able to say "I'm an ENnies Judge!" what else do you get? Judges:

- upon completion of reviewing, retain for personal use or otherwise dispose of products reviewed;
    - receive a free Gen Con Indy 4-day pass.

Tony Law
    ENnies Assistant Business Manager
    [email protected]

2. reveal

reveal Chevalier

Reminder 1: This Friday, people can nominate themselves to be a 2012 ENnies Judge.

Reminder 2: 2011 ENnie Nominees will be announced on Friday, July 8! Let the speculation commence!

3. reveal

reveal Chevalier

Tomorrow is the day! Do you think you're up to the challenge?

4. reveal

reveal Chevalier

5. reveal

reveal Chevalier

5 more days to nominate yourself! You have until the end of the day on Sunday, July 10.

6. reveal

reveal Chevalier

Okay, folks! You have until the end of the day tomorrow, Sunday, July 10, to nominate yourself. :)

7. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I got permabanned from ENWorld and prefer O/AD&D. You think I still have a shot? :lol:

8. reveal

reveal Chevalier

You have just as good a shot as anyone else. :D

Seriously, this is not just an EN World thing. Anyone from anywhere can nominate themselves for judge as long as they don't have a professional relationship with a publisher.

9. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

At least you have a good sense of humor, reveal - I'll give you that. Cheers man!

10. reveal

reveal Chevalier

11. Hooper

Hooper Level 0 Character

Hello all! My name is Hooper and I am one of the candidates you'll be voting on. Feel free to ask questions or probe all you want.

-Hooper
    Vice Director
    OGREs: The Organization of Gamers & Roleplaying Enthusiasts, Inc.
    OgreLair.org

12. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

as someone who prefers OD&D(1974) and ran on my hat of d02 i can tell you first hand anyone has a shot.

i was an ENnies judge for 2006.

13. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Nice list of judges. I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to the Ennies simply because the type of games I play rarely come up for nomination. However, with that said, I have friends who really enjoy them and love to volunteer I see that two of these friends are running this year and can't think of better judges.