Event Catalog Problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by forgemeister, Mar 9, 2010.

1. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I went to download the event catalog with Alex today and I got an error message that the "file was damaged and could not be recovered"....

Anyone else having difficulty?

XXOOCC

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

3. kevin cabai

kevin cabai Level 0 Character

I have been getting the same message.

Kevin

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

You & 'puters, Forgemeister. I just don't know. :p

5. Donal

Donal Administrator

Just checked it and it's working for me. I can't fix a problem I can't duplicate. :?

6. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

ok, I think I figured it out. I'm reasonably certain I had an older version of Acrobat Reader running than I needed.

One small word of ire that I hope does not denigrate the obvious effort that went into preparing the catalog.

IF you publish ANYTHING in Acrobat... all of you out there... be sure to save it as a pdf accessible by the oldest available version of reader possible... unless your aim is to ensure that as few as possible of your potential viewers will be able to view it. Generally, this is second nature to those of us who publish. It may not be readily observable to those who do not, and, btw, the catalog is beautiful.

Anyone having problems...

You can get the updated reader here:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

and it will take a few minutes to install, but it is worth it. The configuration I run here, which works with PageMaker, was not entirely happy with Reader 9.0, so I installed 8 (re-installed 8) and it was able to read the catalog without problem.

So... if you get that error message, re-install the reader, and make sure it is at least Acrobat Reader 8.

If you don't have Reader 8 (or 9 which is now available), go to the link above and get it - its free.

Hope this helps others that were stuck in my selfsame shoes :D. See y'all in a week! (ok, slightly less).

XXOOCC

7. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

...and Deekin is correct - my computer knowledge has expanded to just about 1992...

XXOOCC
    (still running XP! It ain't broke, so I refuse ta fix it! :cool: )

8. mark

mark Spellbinder

What's it like? I'm thinking of upgrading someday.

;)

9. francisca

francisca Troubadour

CP/M FTW!

10. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Its like 2000, only stable :D I think I shut my machine off about once a week.
    XXOOCC

11. Dale

Dale Administrator

I hear what you are saying- and agree to a point.

However, you want the latest (or newer) version of Adobe because of the huge security holes the older versions had. Had you gone to a "bad" website- you could have felt like the new guy in prison at the showers. Trust me- it would not have been pretty. ;)

I'm glad you figured the error out- but happier you upgraded. See you at Gary Con!