Event Catalog Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Dec 28, 2011.

1. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

Donal - or someone in the know - do we have a certain time that the events will be open for registration on Sunday?

The reason I ask is because Sunday is the day I usually run errands in the afternoon/evening (12-5PM). And I want to be sure to be here when registration goes live so I don't miss the few events I can afford points for. Some of those are doozies and will eat up a third of my 30 points each. :eek:

Not that I don't have 2nd and 3rd choices figured out already. ;) heh heh

2. crunchy

crunchy Level 0 Character

I have two questions:

1) Is there an Excel version of the event catalog available?

2) Concerning the Gary Points: Do we get 30 GPs worth of events for registration, then when we arrive at the con everything else is First Come, First Served? I can't imagine all the events filling up, unless you're expecting a thousand people.

I came to Garycon for the first time last year with a few friends and we had a great time. We're definitely looking forward to Garycon 4.

Thanks,
    Tom

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Answers:
    1) The Excel catalog will be released very soon; today or Friday.

2) Yes.

4. Donal

Donal Administrator

5. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

[​IMG]

I'M COMMITTED!! I'M COMMITTED!!! :p

6. storycrafter

storycrafter Level 0 Character

Not to pick a nit, but one minor request? Could we correct the "Pathfinder" stuff to say "Pathfinder Society?" Technically, Mr. Hamlin and crew are running sanctioned society play stuff, and organized play is a wee bit different than non sanctioned. Just to set everyone's expectations correctly. If an RPGA session were being held, I believe folks would want to be able to differentiate between the sanctioned play and non-sanctioned (different requirements, different expectations, etc). Within the "Pathfinder Society" community, it's quite common to see "PFS" labels everywhere.

Just sayin'

7. Donal

Donal Administrator

Sorry, I promised Sean I would fix this and didn't. It is now fixed. All PS events should be well marked.

8. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

Okay, the list seems to have stabilized at 185 events. Any more likely to pop up before pre-registration opens?

9. Donal

Donal Administrator

I've approved all outstanding events. I'm sure more will show but not in the next hour.

10. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

It's a bull market at Gary Con Event Registration. Buy, buy, buy!!!

11. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

They're going fast: the following sold out in the first half hour.

0 12 1981 Basic/Expert D&D Jeff Rients Saturday 10:00am Caves of Myrddin
    0 4 Call of Cthulhu d20 Michael Browne Friday 10:00am DGS Presents: Terror on the Love Boat
    0 6 AD&D (First Edition) Ernie Gygax Saturday Noon Old School Dungeon Crawl with Ernie Gygax
    0 6 Basic D&D (Moldvay) Paul Stormberg Saturday 10:00am The Haunted Keep (Young Gamer Friendly)
    0 6 Call of Cthulhu 5th Ed. Chad Parish Thursday 6:00pm The Thing They Brought Back
    0 6 Paranoia, 2nd Edition Hans Cummings Friday 2:00pm DGS Presents: Paranoia - Soylent People are Green
    0 6 Pathfinder Pathfinder Society Sunday 8:00am Shades of Ice--Part II: Exiles of Winter
    0 6 Pathfinder Pathfinder Society Sunday Noon Shades of Ice--Part III: Keep of the Huscarl King
    0 8 AD&D (First Edition) Frank Mentzer Friday 10:00am AD&D with Frank Mentzer
    0 8 AD&D (First Edition) Frank Mentzer Friday 6:00pm AD&D with Frank Mentzer
    0 8 AD&D (First Edition) Frank Mentzer Thursday Noon AD&D with Frank Mentzer
    0 8 AD&D (First Edition) Jon Hershberger Friday 10:00am Heroes of Barsoom Episode 1 - The Lost Sextant vof Inak
    0 8 Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea Jeffrey Talanian Friday 8:00pm HYPERBOREA - Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes
    0 8 Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea Jeffrey Talanian Thursday 8:00pm HYPERBOREA - Rats in the Walls
    0 8 OD&D (White/Brown Box) Kevin Kelly Thursday 2:00pm Tegel Manor

Tegel Manor went in about the first 10 minutes, in fact, though my son thinks Ernie Gygax's was filled up even quicker.

By the 1 hour mark, a couple more had filled:

0 6 Hackmaster George Fields Friday 8:00pm The Hungry Undead
    0 6 Pathfinder Pathfinder Society Friday 8:00am Silent Tide

Glad we were on our toes and got our choices in! 3 of my younger son's 4 events are already full...

12. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

well I didn't get to the computer until a few minutes ago - an hour and a half after registration started. I was NOT surprised that my first choice of the AS&SH games in the time slots I have available went so fast. *sigh* Maybe I can find a pickup game with them over the weekend sometime. And I was NOT surprised that Tegel Manor was gone also. :( drat!

I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten my next 4 out of 5 choices. :)

And I have three points left over. Guess I have some shopping left to do. hah hah

13. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Make sure to do a drive by as those games are starting. My experience is that a) there are sometimes no-show and b) even if a game is "full," some nice guys will let you pull up a chair anyway if there aren't like 20 other people also trying to pull up a chair.

14. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

hey, thanks for the advice. I had certainly planned on floating around as games I was originally interested in were firing up just in case there was a no-show or - as you described - the group might allow an extra straggler along. :)

15. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

Absolutely right. It's one of the best aspects of the con. At GaryCon 2, one of the Old Guard let me sit in on one his games, already technically full -- as a consequence of which I met another DM and was afterward invited to his oversubscribed event, which has become an annual. Last year, I was actually pulled into several games: I didn't even have to ask, people asked me. So don't give up hope!

16. Can I submit a game that I or my wife would like to GM? How do you do it?

17. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Yes, you may submit an event.

1) Get an account at http://www.Garycon.com if you don't have one. http://www.garycon.com/sign_up.php?#content
    2) Buy a badge if you don't have one. Click My Account in the left margin, then click the My Registrations tab (http://www.garycon.com/my_account.php?disptab=tab-2#content_container), finally click the Buy A Badge link (http://www.garycon.com/badge_pur.php?#content_container).
    3) Goto the My Account page, My Registrations tab OR click the Registrations (http://www.garycon.com/my_account.php?disptab=tab-2#content_container) button in the left margin. Then click the Submit Events link (http://www.garycon.com/event_submission.php?formtype=add#content_container) near the bottom.

18. Donal

Donal Administrator

Your son is correct. Ernie's dungeon crawl wins the Gold Medal this year as the first event to sell out (at about 4:02:04 EST).

19. Nogrod

Nogrod Level 0 Character

"Your son is correct. Ernie's dungeon crawl wins the Gold Medal this year as the first event to sell out (at about 4:02:04 EST)."

Heh, that is most specific "about" that I have ever seen.

I would be curious as to some of the other events that sold out that quickly.

20. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

If I hadn't had GMing conflicts, I would have gone for Ernie's event too.