Event - Giant Le Mans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mordrin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I don't think Mike is a poster here, but does anyone know - is he planning the Giant Le Mans to be a 1-time deal, an annual event like Circus Maximus, or see how it goes?

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Giant Le Mans is in time slot 6-3, 1300-1700, on saturday.

Circvs Maximvs is set for time slot 7-1, 1700-2100, also on saturday, but from what I understand, any player that was in last years race has first option to get into this years. I will be bringing my copy of this game to make sure that anyone that wants to play gets a chance to. (Original Avalon Hill version, no fancy minis or GIANT board)

I will offer Tim Kask the option of borrowing my copy if he wants to try to run both races at the same time. :cool:

3. mordrin

Yes...my question is if he plans to run it at GC2 and never again, or every year.

I'm trying to figure out my top 3 prereg choices and I'm wondering if 2010 is the only chance to ever play it, or if it's possible it will be back regularly.

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

If not I'm sure someone will pick up where he had left-off. :)

5. mordrin

Probably, however, I don't think it would be the same unless Mike was willing to tote some of his special stuff (I don't know where he lives now, either).

BTW, I finally re-found where I had heard of his Le Mans set before:
    http://community.wizards.com/wotc_husca ... n#comments

Some good stuff in there!

6. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Mike loves that game. I have played in several, including one where we had teams of drivers and played a whole day.

Without speaking for, or committing to anything, on Mike's behalf, I would be astonished if he gets an enthusiatic turnout for this one and does not do it again.

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Tim is dead on here. Mike is running Le Mans as a "see how it goes" this year. If there is interest in it, I wager that he will bring it again next year. Apparently it is quite large and requires some effort to move.

Also it is projected to run longer than 4 hours. Probably a 6 or 8 hours :cool:

8. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Thanks for that info, Luke. I plan on being in this game - so I now know to allow for extra time (and mebbe dinner)!

Mike is a great guy and Luke and I and others had a blast last year playing F.I.T.S./Dawn Partrol with him!

:D

9. Melf

After reading the description of Mike's Giant Le Mans game - link in post above- I am going to have to find a way to run a couple laps. It sounds kick ass!

10. Melf

Hey Guys

Just a heads up. I talked to Mike Carr today and he wants to have 12 folks signed up for the Giant LeMans Race before he commits to carrying it out of the attic and all the way to Gary Con.

I am going to play as long as I can - auction at 1800 and then I have my title to defend at the 2nd Annual Circus Maximus. Make sure to include this game on your wish list. This may be a one time deal.

See y'all in a few weeks!

Luke

11. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Let me reinforce what Melf said.
    I have played this game with Mike a few times; it is so much fun for something pretty different from what most of us play. You really should give it a try.
    I am confident that Mike would allow relief drivers if you had another event--sign up with a friend.

12. mordrin

I'm planning on pre-registering this one (although I'm counting on him relaxing the Iron Man eating and bathroom rules I read about from the olden days... :shock: ).

13. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I beg to differ. Whose title? Better check whose name is on that trophy, thank you very much. ;)

Actually, I'd love to play, too, and the only reason I didn't pre-reg is the same as Luke's. Would Mike take me as a walk-on until the Circvs?

14. Melf

We'll see who triumphs at Gary Con!

Mike is likely to accept buddy teams to run a car. I can't answer definitively for him though. Circus Maximus is definitely going to be full very early. I recommend running LeMans as a good alternative.

15. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

This is going to be a great game/event!!

Hmm, I think I'll buy the LeMans movie with McQueen to see if I can get the "edge" in racing!!

:mrgreen:

16. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Still hoping this event is a "GO"!

Just ordered LeMans with McQueen from Amazon for this weekend to get into the spirit of racing. Man, I miss my old Saab Turbo and power shifting!! :cool:

17. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Popping this mov into the player for tonight. I love racing (and no we didn't drive at 110-120 MPH heading to LG in the 70's to drink beer and meet the Cheeseheaded wimmens). Me flatlander, you cheesegurl . . let's roll and tumble!! :lol:

18. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Plymouth Superbee. I think it was a 440 CU, dual carb automatic (lame friend couldn't drive a stick). :D

19. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

WHY NOT?! We did........when we were gettin' outta flatland. :p :lol: