Event Submission

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Donal

Donal Administrator

Okay, back when we picked September 5th, we forgot look at the calendar and realize it was in the middle of Labor Day Weekend.

Working on opening this soon... hopefully no later than tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

crap.

now I gotta come up with something.

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I was wonderin' what the delay was....... :?

4. Donal

Donal Administrator

Alright, Event Submission is online--don't forget to log on to access the Registration menu. A couple of items to note:

We have changed the time slot format for this year. You may now start an event on any even hour. Events will be scheduled in 2 hour increments. Please note, however, that we request that every event end 30 minutes prior to the start of the next slot. Therefore, a 2 hour event is actually only 1.5 hours, a 4 hour event is only 3.5 hours, and so on.

We are implementing DM rewards this year. Although we plan on additional rewards as we get closer to the Con, at this time, the initial reward being offered is increased priority during event registration. We recognize that DMs have committed to run events during specific time slots, and in some cases many time slots, and therefore have only limited additional availability. And without DMs, we wouldn't have any events. Therefore, the more games a DM runs, the higher his priority during event registration.

As I mentioned, still undetermined are the additional rewards. There are a lot of things being kicked around by us, by you and by other Cons and we're considering all of them. As a general rule, the more events you run, the bigger your rewards should be.

5. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Good to know, thanks for the heads-up. Now I have to decide how long I want my Castle GH delves to be, and to start working up some more level keys....

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

TOO COOL!! Got ALL my events registered today. :D Now I'm really anxious for March to get here!!
    167 days & counting!!

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

So what time do we get kicked out Sunday (what time can events run until)?

8. mark

mark Spellbinder

I thinking we need a slot of Kingmaker again this year. I'm also planning to run some sort of medieval/fantasy miniatures again, as well. I wonder if a scaled dungeon would be too much work to build, something I could run using 1E rules, I think, or S&W, perhaps. Thoughts, anyone?

9. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Scaling a dungeon is like building a fancy dollhouse, X40.
    It will, perforce, be a very linear adventure (they can only explore what you build, after all).
    Not saying it can't be done, but Oh Lawdy, you are looking at a lot of work.,

10. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Sorry, just got back online. I thought deadline was in October. Exactly what is the deadline date?

11. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

12. mark

mark Spellbinder

Tis true, Capital K. A lot of work, indeed. Though I think if it is built as a handful of smaller interwoven dungeons, it need not result in something that seems so linear. I'll have to have a think on it. Might be a touch on the deadly side. ;)

13. Donal

Donal Administrator

All events must end by 5:30pm on Sunday.

14. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well my two events are in. They are an old C&C demo I wrote up years ago entitled "Crusader's Gauntlet," a case of kidnap, and a new AD&D offering I'm working on by the name of "A Long-Dead Secret," a little romp through a graveyard and a traverse across a bit of country reaching the goal which will necessitate a serious dungeon delve.

15. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy All,

I have entered the following events:

Fri./Sat. (All Day) Chainmail Jousting: GaryCon Jousting Tournament
    Fri. Mor. (8am-2pm) Chainmail Fantasy: The Battle for the Brown Hills
    Fri. Eve. (2pm-12pm) AD&D1: The Lost Crypts of the Fire Opal
    Sat. Mor. (8am-2pm) Siege of Bodenburg: Siege of Bodenburg
    Sat. Eve. (2pm-12pm) Chainmail Fantasy: The Battle for the Moathouse

Event: GaryCon Jousting Tournament
    Game Master: Paul Stormberg
    Game System: Chainmail Jousting Rules
    Number of players: Unlimited
    Skill Level: Beginner
    Description: Step up to the list and see how you fare in the first ever, GaryCon jousting tournament! A dedicated gaming table will be set up all three days with beautiful Schleich figures and self-guided instructions to play. Face off with one of your friends or make a new one and challenge him to a tilt! The top four ranked winners of Friday's joust and winner of the coveted role of the Black Knight (only Gygax family members, ex-TSR employees, IFW, original C&C Society, or LGTSA members or players in Rob and Gary's original Greyhawk and Kalibruhn campaigns may compete for this title) will advance to the second day of the tournament. The four best knights (White, Blue, Green, and Red) will then face-off in a quarter and semi-final, the winner of which will face the dreaded Black Knight in the final. The Grand Tournament Winner will have their name entered in the rolls of honor as they hold aloft the trophy helm!

Event: Battle for the Brown Hills
    GM Name: Paul Stormberg
    Game System: Chainmail Miniatures Rules
    Number of Players: 6
    Description: This is your chance to replay a classic Chainmail scenario originally designed by Gary Gygax. The Battle for the Brown Hills was first played by members of the Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association and the Castles and Crusades Society in 1971. Test your tactical skills in this exciting miniatures game that is the roots of the original Dungeons and Dragons game.

Event: The Lost Crypts of the Fire Opal
    Game System: AD&D
    Number of players: 9
    Description: The Lost Crypts of the Fire Opal is the fully fleshed out version of an unfinished module by Gary Gygax. Will you be able to find the fabled Fire Opal in the ruins of a lost monastery and live to tell about it?

Event: Seige of Bodenburg
    Game System: Siege of Bodenburg
    Number of players: 4-6
    Description: Wow! This is the game played by Gary Gygax in 1968 at Gen Con I. It was this game that inspired him to form the Castle & Crusade society and later write Chainmail and D&D. This game uses a set of rules created by Henry Bodenstedt for use with gorgeous 40mm Elastolin castle and miniatures. A fantastic and fun game with gaming history and nostalgia too! Paul Stormberg will referee this classic miniatures battle.

Event: Battle For The Moathouse
    Game System: Chainmail
    Number of players: 6
    Description: The Battle for the Moathouse revisits the famed ruins some 9 years earlier before it fell to the forces of good. A lesser battle in the struggle against the rise of the Temple of Elemental Evil, but still of great importance to those subjugated by its vile Black Lord, a cleric of evil damnation. You and your team of three players control either the forces of weal or the forces of darkness.

Futures Bright,

Paul

16. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Hey Paul, is The Lost Crypts of the Fire Opal the same as last year or a continuation?

17. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Hey Paul,
    I trust that you have modified the chart to eliminate the glitch in the jousting rules; if not, let me know and I'll tell you how Gary told me to change it for use in my classroom (which he thought was way cool, btw).

18. paul j. stormberg

Howdy,

It is the same adventure starting anew.

I'm not sure if we could pull off a continuation of last year's adventure - it sure was fun!

I was planning on starting it up again with whomever wants to play.

I'm game for a continuation if we can get, "the band back together".

Futures Bright,

Paul

19. paul j. stormberg

Howdy Tim,

Yes. I believe your solution was to allow position 4. Steady Seat and 6. Shield Low after breaking one's own lance or having one's helm knocked off. Is that correct? Still quite limited but better than automatically being unhorsed the next tilt!

I am not really sure why one has to assume position 4. or 6. after breaking one's lance on the opponent. It seems it might be for the purpose of giving the opponent an advantage on the next tilt and forcing players into a less safe method of play. (I sort of wanted to throw that rule out.) Any thoughts?

As far as the rest of the rules, I am allowing a joust to consist of three passes only, unless an opponent is unhorsed, which ends the joust.

So far the point system (not historically accurate, of course) is:

0pt = Miss
    1pt = Glance
    2pt = Break
    3pt = Helm
    8pt = Unhorsing 1st Tilt
    6pt = Unhorsing 2nd Tilt
    4pt = Unhorsing 3rd Tilt

(U)nhorsing result indicates the end of the joust but you may try your luck against two other opponents. However, an (I)njury result indicates you are hurt and unable to carry out further jousts. "Repair to the tent and the tender mercies of the fair maidens therein!" :cool:

The pro-rated unhorsing points allow a B/U result in the first tilt to be worth 10 points. Thus, if, during the course of three tilts, the results for the rider were B, B, B/U in order the total would be 10 points (2+2+2+4=10). That way the winner is not penalized, point-wise, for unhorsing his opponent in the first tilt.

BTW I received the Scheich figures today, they are beautiful! (Your Black Knight is waiting...) :)

Futures bright,

Paul

20. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Excellent, Paul!

I have been eagerly hoping you would run the Joust Tournament and have been waiting/watching for a post!

This should be fun.

Well done!

:D