First GaryCon III Video Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Apr 18, 2011.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, I finally got one of the videos up from GaryCon. It's been a busy time since I returned and, for some reason, I haven't been able to upload large files for the past week or so. However, my short interview with Nick Mizer is now up on you tube and you can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXX7KPVRfK8

2. Donal

Donal Administrator

3. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

I don't get warm and fuzzies about this video. It almost seemed like the interviewer was trying to make fun of the gamers and/or the event without coming right out and saying it.

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

You & I share the same feeling.

5. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

I feel a bit that way about it myself. Should we have a Public Relations intermediary for GC: IV? I ask not just because of the content of this video but because I know this is the edited version.

Perhaps the Geek Preacher could & would be willing to be the (or one of the) Official Gary Con Publicity Manager/s? I suggest GP because I know he has a good grasp of the underlying concepts of gamming and high moral standards.

I don’t mean to put anyone to task or step on anyone’s toes, just thinking… :|

6. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Sad way to spin a convention that honors one of the town's more (most?) famous residents and also brings money into the local economy. You'd think people would be more supportive..

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I agree gang. Sections seemed contrived and or coached to me. I saw attendees get badgered until they made a comment for him. Does seem to me that there was an alternate agenda, I'm just not sure what it was.

8. Dale

Dale Administrator

We can't control the media or people filming/editing after the event.

However, next year if anybody feels threatened, badgered, or bothered with the actions of another- please grab one of the Staff or Volunteers and we will address the problem.

I hope this helps, and look forward in seeing everyone in March.

9. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I appreciate Shalaban's very kind comments. I've been trying to upload a more favorable GaryCon video since the convention last month but for some reason I can't get my YouTube account to allow me any uploads. It keeps timing out.....I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Java script on my MacBook or that YouTube doesn't like my videos being recorded in HD though that really shouldn't be a problem.

If you go to my YouTube account, you can find one of the videos from GC III that I was able to upload. Feel free to LIKE it....promote it.....or just put the word out any way that you can. I was able to interview Nick Mizer (the gaming anthropologist) and, while it's a short interview, it's pretty good. You'll also find some videos from previous GaryCon's as well.

You can find Nick's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXX7KPVRfK8&feature=player_profilepage or you can find my YouTube videos at http://www.youtube.com/geekpreacher

10. iddig ap nil

iddig ap nil Level 0 Character

Since I work on Rockford, IL Television, I could see if the weekend producer would be willing to send a camera guy/reporter up to Lake Geneva (it's on the very far edge of our viewing area, so odds are slim) for Gary Con IV...

11. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Would that end up being added to the Rockford files?

12. mark

mark Spellbinder

That's not so bad. It's not made by someone who is well versed in gaming and the montage of laughter seems contrived but I don't think it shows gaming or the gamers involved in a bad light. (Let's face it, we seen a lot worse, too.)

13. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

:lol:

14. iddig ap nil

iddig ap nil Level 0 Character

Well, I'm convinced that the town is stuck in the 1970s. ;) Hopefully though, I'll be outta there and somewhere a bit more conducive to my happiness before then.

15. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I guess that makes you a bit of a maverick for living the, eh?

16. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I don't think that local media video was all that bad. Coming from people that probably don't understand what it is we do, it was an okay clip. I mean, let's face it, it is a "nerdy" hobby we enjoy and perfect fodder for comedy shows.

And if they were attempting to make fun of us, "F" em' if they can't be mature and let people enjoy whatever it is they enjoy without mockery.

17. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Want me to rip 'em a new one by showing how RPGs helped shape the Internet, some technologies, film and culture?

18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I had awful video this year, but it was just because I was so busy. If you want to team-up on an official video next year GeekPreach, let me know. I should have much more time next year.

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Sounds like a plan. I think we could do some great video work together and it would be wonderful if I could have someone help with the video editing. I'd really like to interview some of the gaming companies that come to remember Gary Gygax. I think it would be awesome to have some of these folks tell why they support GaryCon, how they got into the hobby and how Gygax influenced them into going into the gaming business.

I'd also like to get some interviews of other members of the family with one or two gaming stories about their dad as well as a little personal info they'd like to share. To me, it's important that a good interview shows gamers and the founder of our hobby as ordinary people with jobs, families and lives in general.

If you're any good at video editing, it would be really great to have the help. One of the biggest problems I've had in the past is that I've had to do my own filming, interviewing and video editing. Trying to find the time to do all of that can be difficult.

As to the activities I have planned out for next year, the only thing on my plate is planning to run some Moldvay Basic/Expert modules if I can ever get around to play testing them.

20. francisca

francisca Troubadour

The most shocking thing to me in that video was John Bobek with the full beard and long hair. I barely recognized him!