Food/liquor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhuvein, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Hey.

Will there be food or liquor at this event or do we need to go out for same?

Thanks.

[Yes, I always need food for strength and liquor later in the evening!!]

:mrgreen:

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

From my talks with Luke, there will be hot food for sale by the resort, and drinks. Luke has been working hard to get the prices low for us.

3. ghul

ghul Chevalier

:eek:

By the hoary hosts of hoggoth! Do you mean I can drink Guinness while I game?

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

If not from an internal beverage service, then certainly a wee bit o' the Jameson's or Caol Ila from a Nalgene bottle or something similar!

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The Lodge has a full restaurant and bar. The prices are hotel prices so be forewarned. I am working on a concession stand with hot dogs, sandwiches and beverages in the gaming hall at a more economical price. So you will have options as to what you want to eat and drink. I believe that the rooms have a microwave and fridge- so you can bring some comestibles of your own if desired.

I am going to stock up on New Glaurus beer for my room :D

6. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Thanks Luke.

And New Glarus . . . YES.

Jeff, did you try NG when you were in LG a few years back? Very tasty . . many varieties!

:D

7. wcw43921

wcw43921 Footpad

It would be nifty if there could be some sort of buffet set up for the con--something like pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns, etc. in the morning, and ravioli, Swedish meatballs, roast beef (or ham) slices, and mashed potatoes, etc. in the evening. I'm thinking a $4.99 all-you-can-eat charge should be sufficient to cover most, if not all of the cost--plus, I'm sure the hotel staff and management would appreciate our buying their food instead of bringing in our own.

Anyway, it's an idea.

8. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

$5 all-you-can-eat for gamers? Wow, would they ever lose out on that deal. Or maybe I'm just used to NE pricing. NGs were $1 after all...and damn tasty at that.

9. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

Will get to relive the good old days of "Drunkards and Dragons". Can't wait.
    :shock:

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

$5 all you can eat? Are we playing in Vegas or something? :lol:

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'm sure coolers will abound in the rooms taken by the New Englanders. Besides, we need to bring swag back in them, too. New Glarus bottles will likely make my recycling bin.

12. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I heard there are fridges in the room. I'm going to make sure I drive up w/ a cooler I can use as well so I'm going to make sure I'm loaded up with sodas and a few "extras." Plus I'll probably bring some sammich meat and bread since I'll be driving.

13. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I have been absent from the boards for so long. I am wrapping up my 3 weeks of pre-deployment training (individual soldier tasks) so I have been busy from 0700-2100 everyday.

I wanted to let you know that I am working on a concessions stand for us during Gary Con. The hotel is a bit expensive and I am trying to push prices down. Currently they proposed breakfast items muffins and donuts at 2.50 and coffee at 1.75. Lunch/dinner: hotdogs and sandwiches at 4.50 and soda at 1.75.

Outside food and drink is not allowed in the convention area, but I am not sure how strick they will enforce that- especially after 7 pm when they will stop the concessions sales. The good news is that the rooms have fridge and microwave - so you can eat in your room and I doubt anyone will stop you from bringing your own water. Unfortunately I won't be able to offer $1 NG beer at the bar this year. I anticipate some hospitality at various rooms however to compensate.

Please make sure to let us know if you enjoyed the Lodge this year or not- we will have some sort of feedback form.

Luke

14. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'm guessing this is a policy that is going to have to be adjusted if this location is going to be chosen for GC3.

I certainly intend to stock up my room to handle most meals, though I also intend to hit a restaurant or two (plus Thursday evening at the Pub).

I really hope they at least go easy on drinks and snack foods. I can see having some qualms about full meals or even outside sandwiches, but chips and soda are a gaming staple. Can someone do some recon on the types of vending machines and the sizes of soda and/or chips they sell on site? If they have 20 oz Coke machines and someone stocks their fridge with 20 oz bottles of coke, I am not sure how they'd enforce disallowing those in the convention area.

Do they have any sort of hospitality suite set up that people can pitch in to cover?

15. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Actually, now that you bring this up, should we pitch in for some form of hospitality to anyone able to organize such things? I know Jason (DnDGeek) will be there earlier in the week and we might be able to get something going... let's talk food and beer, folks!

16. wcw43921

wcw43921 Footpad

I just want to say that all your hard work in getting this con organized is thoroughly and greatly appreciated. Thank You, Sir.

That's sort of what occurred to me--chips and soda at the gaming tables are one thing; delivery pizza, sandwiches, etc. are something else, especially when it comes to cleaning up afterwards. This is why I suggested the buffet line--it would be relatively less expensive and the gamers in attendance would be able to just get their food and get back to the gaming table instead of having to sit and wait in the Lodge's restaurant. Most important, though, is that the attendees would be spending their money at the Lodge rather than off the site.

That said, the concession stand prices seem to be on a par with what they were at the ICC during GEN CON, so maybe we can afford those for a weekend. Because if you couldn't--it's likely you can't afford the hotel either, and you're camping out in the back of your car trying not to shiver too hard while saying to yourself, "I'm having a good time--I'm having a good time--I'm having a good time--" :mrgreen:

17. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I selflessly volunteer my room one night (some night I am not running a game) to set up the keg of NG.

Like any time I travel to a con, I fully intend to have a cooler full of my own diet pops and a sack or two of convention iron rations (Stix, Cheese Waffles, Dark choc Raisinets, a box of Twinkies; you know, gaming food.)

18. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Now we're talking!

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

If all goes well, I will probably have a case or two of beer in my room to share with friends. Since I am a preacher, an offering may be taken up. ;) J/K but if someone wants to chip in that will be fine. I'm going to be there on Thursday but I don't know how prices are up North. Should I pick up any drinks down here or get them when I arrive?

20. Dale

Dale Administrator

You can't get New Glarus where you're from "Pilgrim," so I'd wait til you get to Wisconsin. ;)