Food/liquor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhuvein, Jan 27, 2010.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Okay, Who's got one of the larger rooms & a old moving trunk?! :?

Larger room should seat about 10-12 people. ;)

Moving trunk would hold my nesco & crockpots. ;)

The Keeper's mobile kitchen, featuring 'Poorman's' Chili & 'Von Deekin's Famous Nachos.' :cool:

Call ahead for reservations. 1-800-WE-GOT-FOOD :lol:

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Lol... I think the rooms are all the same size. At, least no one offered me anything different... I'll open my room to revelry and raucous behavior. I'll even kick in some beverages to sweeten the deal. I'm not familiar with this New Glarus everyone speaks of. What sort of beer would it be? When I to travel to St. Louis for business regularly, I became partial to a Denver double IPA made by Left Hand Brewery. I'm hoping to find a little while I'm in WI...

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

The only store that may carry that brand is Bruno's Liquors, ph # is 262-248-6095. If you call ahead they may be willing to bring some in for you, if they can get it.

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'm getting the sense that whole floors are going to be partying and gaming. That's the spirit.

5. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I think I inquired about a suite, but it was too pricey for me. Or was that for my reunion? I forget. I'm getting old.

In a word: tasty. If you like micro brews without crazy flavors, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Its looking like New Glarus will be well represented, so I'm thinking of a keg of IPA of some kind.

6. howandwhy99

howandwhy99 Level 0 Character

Could you ask if outside catering is acceptable? I've scheduled hundreds of events and many hotels have policies for outside food providers. Rarely have I encountered any who required in house catering only. Service has to be localized and restricted to attendees only, but that wouldn't be difficult with badges. And this includes services like a couple dozen pizzas or a subs for a local restaurant.

Bulk made food would be much less expensive and more appetizing. Subs are cheap for a reason. Good chili can be made in bulk. As can slow cooked butt roast.

Any local friends with a vendor's license will work, if you want to create your own menu and get in the hotel door.

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

That's probably not an option this late stage of the event (30 days until the gathering), but maybe something to consider next year.

I know Luke has already worked with the folks at the Lodge to get us some fair pricing on food- and the management has come to an equitable menu/pricing.

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

EQUITABLE?! $4.50 for a hotdog? EQUITABLE??!! Where the hell am I at? Wrigley Field?! (& it better be the playoffs if I'am.)

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Sorry Guys. Moving to a larger 24 hour facility meant losing the 75 cent nachos. I did manage to negotiate the prices down slightly. Jumbo dogs are $3 and soda is $1.50. Sandwiches are $4.50. There will be muffins, coffee, fruit, chips etc available from 8 am to 7 pm I believe.

I'll be looking for feedback on the Lodge as a site for future Gary Cons- so let me know what you think at the con.

Luke

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

WELL, that's a little better.
    You know, I could talk to 'Von Deekin' & have him sneak in a 'Nesco' full of his world famous nachos. We'd just bring it in late at nite when everyone was sleeping.
    Dale can be the lookout. ;)
    I get hungry around 10:00pm, if I'm not already asleep. :D

11. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Following up on this topic, I thought the food/drink setup for the CON was great. Over the weekend, I had 2 hotdogs, 1 hamburger, 2 roast beef sandwiches and multiple drinks.

Someone mentioned to me, that the restaurant upstairs had great buffets - so I'm gonna check that out next year.

:)

12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I got an $8 steak at the restaurant that I swear was Filet Mignon + biscuits and gravy, waffles and pancakes for breakfast three days in a row at reasonable prices, especially for a resort. Even the pizza we ordered was damn tasty (thanks, Luke). I wouldn't change anything, except maybe include pizza as an option, as it's classic gamer food, most people like it and can be sold by the slice for those on a budget. Now I'm hungry.

13. paladin1128

paladin1128 Level 0 Character

OOps, we didn't know there were restrictions on food, so we brought a backpack full of sandwiches and bananas. Oh well, no one yelled at us, so I guess it worked.

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

The food was great. There were some awesome buffets upstairs that my friend (Redd) and I enjoyed. I also liked the breakfast buffet upstairs because it allowed me to fill up and just eat a snack for lunch. Breakfast buffets are awesome.

I also have to say we had a lot of fun in the bar/lounge smoking some cheap cigars and having a few drinks while busting out some games. We played some Red Dragon Inn in the bar and would have one or two new players each time. (I also thought it was funny that I drove all the way up from Tennessee and got to listen to Bluegrass in the bar. :lol: )

I have to admit, though, that I often walked upstairs and hit the soda machine for a 20 oz. drink because it was the same price as the 12 oz. ones they were selling downstairs. The motel still got the money but I got more to drink. ;)

As someone who has been to some "big" Cons, I have to say that the food prices were great. I brought some sandwich meat and bread to eat in the room but since the prices were in my budget I was able to eat at the restaurant.

(I would like to see a Con suite or something, though, where we could go and have some of our own mixed drinks and/or beer but that's not a major issue. One can always take a trip to their room and have a drink or two but it's not nearly as fun.)

15. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

No . . no restrictions at all. I brought in lots of stuff as I always do to save $$. But I couldn't bring everything, so it was great that we all had options for food & drink.

The hotel was very cool and relaxed about that, IMO. I also later brought in some beer and spirits (carefully . . uughh - can't think of that word (the one that suggests one does this quietly and with respect). :oops:

Anywho, . . definitely a good idea for fruit and water!

:D

16. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

You could smoke in the bar?? I would have enjoyed a much less cold cigar if I had known that...

And totally agree on the food- the restaurant was very reasonable and offered up some great dishes for their price.

17. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

It's my understanding that in fact, we were not supposed to bring in our own food/drinks, though obviously after they've "closed shop" there's really no one around. Dale, Chris/Donal, or Luke/Melf could clarify, I'm sure, but that was my understanding.
    :ugeek:

//Typo edit: Dale ;)

18. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Hey is that you Brendan?
    (Stevag/Fort Riley)

19. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Yes! After I got back from the Con I realized I had never actually registered on the forums. I just read them and never posted.

20. Dale

Dale Administrator

There was a policy of no outside food & drinks. I turned two people around to take their coolers back to their room/car. As long as you had bought the food on-site it was okay to have it on the convention floor.

This will be the same for next year as well.