Forum Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

This thread is for suggesting ways to make the forum better. Way to improve its organization, functionality, popularity, etc.
    ---------------
    If the Event submission thread is deemed helpful, I would suggest having sub categories for RPGs and non-RPGs (board games, card games, etc.).

Have a section for discussing games and gaming systems seperate from the Gary Con planning section to give people a reason to come here regularly and to help the membership grow.

2. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Hi.

Is there a way to close/shrink/lessen the horizontal view of the forum a bit, so I don't need to side scroll?

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Yes, that would help.

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

What width resolution are you guys running 800? or 1024? I think the forum is designed for 1024+, because only 3% of people currently use something less than that. I'm running at 1280, windowed down to about 80% screen width and it is fine. Maybe there is a way to make it more variable/adaptable?

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

Hey Rhu,

The website is set to a 1024 pixel (width). It sounds like your current settings for the monitor are at 800x600. If you are running Windows 98 or XP then Right-Click on the desktop and choose properties. You should have the option to choose Display- then see if you can adjust the display from 800 to 1024 resolution.

Unfortunately, most of the computer monitors are set-up for 1024 pixel width (or larger- usually larger).

Hope this helps.

6. rossik

rossik Footpad

hi guys!
    i know i've already writen here, but i want to congratulate you all for this forum, and wish a long and prosper life here :)

what do you think of a topic just for link/pictures of past garycons?

like "GaryCon I pic" and then in the first post, all links to pictures? as people post their links, the moderator can update the firts post, with all the links.

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

I think the photo gallery is in the works. If you use Facebook, there is the Gary Con group with over 100+ photos: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=58339157369

Hope this helps.

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Sounds like a good idea to me. You could do this by posting a new thread in the "Sticky: Past Cons" and maintain it. If you don't, I'd be willing to do it.

9. rossik

rossik Footpad

oh, so there will be a photo gallery just for users pictures?
    i mean, in the main site?

10. Dale

Dale Administrator

That's the game plan I got from Donal. The site is still a work in progress, so give it some time & I think you'll be pleased.

11. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Even if/when the main website implements a photogallery (which I believe is in the works), it could not hurt to have links to other resources, because not everyone will bother to migrate or copy their media portfolios to this site. Just make the #1 link http://www.GaryCon.com/?whatever? when the time comes :cool:

12. rossik

rossik Footpad

ok, no rush ;)

(btw: nice GC banner!)

13. Donal

Donal Administrator

Dale is correct.

There are a lot of website upgrades in progress. But the forums we thought were the most important to do first, so here they are.

Hopefully, in the next couple of months, the main site will have a whole new look. We definitely want a photo gallery and with luck, event submission and registration features. Keep your fingers crossed (and be patient)!

14. rossik

rossik Footpad

thats great, and i hope everything goes fine!

another think: i dont know exactly how its called, but its like a "button"/"little banner" that people can put n their blogs/websites, as a way to promote.
    i would gladly put on of GC on my blog :)

15. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Thanks Dale. I'm at 1024, but I see I was zoomed in - probably from visiting other sites with small fonts and such. I'm OK now.

:D

16. Donal

Donal Administrator

Good idea. I'll add it my my list. It's a long list, but perhaps this is such a good idea that I'll move it up a few spots.

17. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Maybe you could use this - or maybe it will inspire something even better in creating your Widget (I think that is the term). I can help if you want. You need to watch for at least 8.01 seconds...:)

{{old version deleted}}

18. rossik

rossik Footpad

Totan, awesome idea!

the "tail" of the ballon could be thinner

19. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Something more like this?

{{Old version 2 deleted}}

20. rossik

rossik Footpad

sure!