Gamer food

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sir jon, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Okay, we all have our favorite eats and drinks for our gaming table. Sadly, we can't have New Glarus here in CT, so I make due with whatever's in the fridge at Hovelhouse at the time -- or a good bottle of the old favorite, Coca-Cola.

Foods are often scattered about, such as the Subway wrappers, Chinese food containers, Mexican burrito boxes or the cookies... but nothing has surpassed the mountain of pizza boxes here. Those all get burned in one big blazing inferno once or twice a year and wow, can that be fun. Just as the DnDGeek.

Now though, I think I've found the worst thing to hit my waist since that kid in the fifth grade used my stomach as a punching bag: Doritos Late Night Tacos at Midnight. Big, black bag. You can't miss it. Nor should you... but I think I should have.

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Since 3 out of the 4 of us in my gaming group is on the wrong side of skinny, we have instituted water, beer, (limited soda), pretzels, sun chips, and other snacks on the light side. Once in a while we order out pizza or chinese but that has not happened in a while. When I am on my own, I will frequent a Chipotle burrito joint. But my a$$, my friends, and my Succubus-wife, end up suffering for that choice. :twisted:

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yeah, I need to eat healthy as well but that doesn't happen to often. When we play boardgames at the house, my wife will actually tell me we need to order some pizza. Of course, none of that pizza seems to bother her but it goes straight to my GUT!

Also must say it's so hard for me to avoid Faygo and other hugely sweet sugary drinks while gaming. Just something about tons of soda and gaming. It makes the world seem all nice and wonderful. ;)

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

So would you say that you are the Friar Tuck for your flock? :eek: ;)

I concur and am the "victim" of comfort foods! My wife is all into that Weight Watchers thing (which is funny because she isn't really fat) whereas I only nominally care that I am overweight. My battalion commander in the National Guard dropped dead in the middle of a marathon in Roanoke, VA at the age of 45, peak physical condition. My grandfather will be 96 in a couple of weeks and he has always been a little overweight and not really into exercise. Go figure. I am not concerned. I think your genes play a bigger role in the grand scheme of things anyway.

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I must have a significant modifier to my save vs beer and junk food roll :p I enjoy munchies while I game and either soda or beer- and I am an easy keeper, as they say in the horse business. I mean all I have to do is drink a 6 pack of beer and eat a large pizza and I put on weight!

Seriously, I think that your overall bodyfat is important for your health, especially considering cardiovascular disease. However if you are active and do something to elevate your heart rate for 30 minutes 4 times a week, you are on the right track. I am glad that I have regular physical fitness tests and a weight standard to help keep me in line. My family has a history of heart disease and a history of loving to sit for hours playing games!

6. MAJ Bill

MAJ Bill Level 0 Character

When I made my hotel reservation I checked, and they do have a cardio room. No weights though. I work out four times a week. Half-hour cardio and an hour of weights. As I have gotten older, I have had to increase my cardio and not eat as much to keep the body fat down. This made me sad, cause I likes to eat. :(

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yeah, I could be considered Friar Tuck. In fact, I may dress up like him for Halloween this year. :) (I like a good, dark ale like the Friar so that's a good thing, right?)

My wife isn't into Weight Watchers but just has good genetics. Her family just DOES NOT put on weight. I mean she went back to her old weight about 3 weeks after the birth of the baby....both times. Of course, her portion sizes are not huge either but for me that doesn't seem to matter. In her family, though, I've seen them eat junk food and not even blink. Me, I smell it and the pounds roll on.