Gamers Gauntlet (GC3)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the keeper, Mar 25, 2010.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I shot this idea to Luke the other day & got ta thinkin', "Why not ask the players if they like it?". It goes something like this............................
    The player would have to choose 3 'picks' from a number of games available in the following catagories;

RPG
    General boardgames
    Strategy games
    Card games

The player can only choose a catagory once, (i.e. they cannot put all 3 'picks' in RPG's, it must be one 'pick' in each catagory.), then they can select 'one' from a number of games in each sub-catagory. (i.e. General boardgames might have 'Kingsburg', 'Settlers of Catan', & 'The Dungeon' as sub-catagories, & they would pick one of these to play in.)
    This is just a rough idea on how this would work. I'll be 'ironing out' the rest of it over the next few weeks. Let me know if you think this idea sounds do-able................

The idea here is to involve players in multiple types of games. Now some may be diehard RPG'ers & only come to play those type of games. That's fine, but what I'am suggesting is to give players the option of a 'smorgasbord' of gaming. After all, thats one of the things that Garycon's about........ 'eating' up the games.
    It could be called "Gary's Band of Gamers Gauntlet,' (Thanks for the idea, Tim) & we could wear buttons, special name tags, or something , to show we are registered for that gaming event. Maybe award a prize/award for the highest scoring Gauntlet Gamer?
    I'am still thumping out the details. Let me know what you think.

2. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

What if we just wanna play the games? Personally, I think the camaraderie is the prize. Don't get me wrong, winning is fun, but it's a distant second for me than being able to play with a bunch of great people.

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Let me define this a liitle more. This would be an event, not something mandatory. Just like any other event that's ran it would be the players choice to sign up or not.
    I'am just suggesting a little variety, the spice of life.
    An example would be a game that I have glanced at a couple times & didn't really think anything of it, (NAH! Not for me), but while at Garycon 2, I finally sat down to play & really enjoyed it. So did my better-half, who went right out & bought a copy. The point being, don't judge a book by its cover.

As I mentioned, the above is only a 'rough draft'. Just tossing the idea out there for input.

Thank you for yours.
    The Keeper

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Interesting idea, Keeper. One of the things I had the chance to do was stand around a few tables and just watch some gaming. This helped me see a lot of the fun in some of the games and made me want to play them in the future. (I really wish I had time to get into Wings of War because everything I saw said that game was awesome.)

5. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Please don't take my meaning the wrong way. I like the idea of going though such a gauntlet. What I'd really like is a de-emphasis on a prize as that may take away focus from the new games the people are playing (and may thus affect their enjoyment). I'm not against prizes. I would like to know how you'd propose to tally up who is the winner if multiple games are in each category. If anything, I like the idea of a "I survived the Gauntlet" token as incentive for everyone who undertakes the challenge to actually finish it.

6. tavis

tavis Footpad

Good idea! Don't forget miniatures games, though. I'm not normally a sandtable kind of guy but I really, really enjoyed Paul Stornmberg's Battle for the Brown Hills event and wished I'd had time for the Boot Hill event with the nicely painted ladies of easy virtue minis.

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

1) Okay, maybe prize is the wrong word. How about trophy? :)

2) The tally would be made up of points. This would be easy to do in the 'General boardgames' & 'Cards' catagories as most are designed around some form of point system. RPG's would be a tough one to convert unless it's based on experience gained. 'Strategic boardgames' could be set at a base point value for the winner only. (I haven't processed all the numbers yet.)

3) Something as simple as a 'Gary's Band of Gamers' button should work.

The important thing is, each game in a catagory should be able to be played out in 2-4 hours, thus keeping everything within the proposed Graycon 3 timeslots.

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

DAM!! I forgot the mini's! :eek:
    It would have to be a simple system. As far as that goes, ALL the games in the 'gaunlet' would have to have a gaming system that could be taught in about a half hour. Nothing as complex as say 'Warhammer 40k', or 'Squad Leader', with all the options would really work.
    I see I will be pondering this for longer than I thought, :shock: , but, I'am confident that I will succeed. :D

9. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

It was! Most of the players involved have thanked/complimented me here or on the other forums I've visited. The 'pilots' totally enjoyed themselves & that's what it's all about. That's why next year I'll probably be running two 'Wings of War' events daily. :D

10. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Yes, yes, ponder as you will.....my 4-7-7 will have more time to set that DC next to your tank and thus avoid the 15 FP it would have to take by throwing it into the adjacent hex.

11. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I believe you meant a 4-4-7, standard german infantry, and putting a 'Depth Charge' next to my tank would require a copy of AH's Submarine, which, of course, I have. :mrgreen: ................
    :?
    OH!! YOU MEAN DEMO CHARGE! Best to have an SS, 6-5-8, handle that job, add an ATM, just to make sure, of course a panzerfaust '44a would be better, or a stray Pzkw VI with an 88L, or ........

I'm babbling aren't I? :oops:

12. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Hahaha! It also depends on the scenario's year and whether you're playing as the Russians or not. :twisted: