Games for Gary Con VI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Mar 17, 2013.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I've been thinking about what to run next year at Gary Con (yes, already...I have to use my time between cons wisely or I don't finish all the prep). Of course, there will be Paranoia and since both slots filled up so quickly this year, I'll probably run two slots of it again.

BUT, I don't want to run Paranoia all weekend (sorry :p), so I need to plan out some more stuff. I was thinking, for '14, of maybe running some more D&D. Maybe something classic like Dungeonland, or Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, Mad Monkey vs. The Dragon Claw (for you OA fans), or Master of the Desert Nomads. Maybe run the first part of an adventure (like Dungeonland) and then run the next part the following day (or year if it's a long enough adventure). What kind of interest would there be for something like that?

I was also thinking of something more off-the-wall, like Scooby-Doo Cthulhu (or Scooby-Doo Dread...that's the one with the Jenga tower) or a z-list Saturday Morning Superheroes (Captain Caveman, Underdog, Yankee Poodle, FantomCat, Jabber Jaw, and Blue Falcon vs. the Most Annoyingist Villian of Them All: SCRAPPY DOO).

Star Wars is also a possibility. If I can lose some weight and get my crafty side engaged, I could even have a suit of Stormtrooper armor to wear for that (thanks to Maker of Things!). That might be a 2-year goal, as I need to drop between 25-50 lbs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. pruttm

pruttm Level 0 Character

I want more WEG so I vote Star Wars.

I also like any and all of the Off-the-Wall suggestions, but a Scooby Doo mystery sounds like a blast.

Pete

3. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

Trust the DGS to have the right attitude: start planning the next GaryCon now! Only 1 of my sons managed to pre-reg for Paranoia this year -- the other had a problem with the web site and the games filled up before I got him squared away -- but I'm sure they're both in for it next year.

4. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

This year's Gilligan's Island Cthulhu was a riot almost beyond belief. Having Gilligan's Island recreated with the authentic spirit of the series but having danger and horror infused was a pretty unique experience!

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

You'll get plenty of opinions on all sides.

My personal preference:

There's always plenty of D&D at GaryCon, but there's still hundreds of other systems I've never played or not in decades - Ghostbusters, Gangbusters, Toon, Indiana Jones, Chill, Amber, Shadowrun, Champions, etc, etc, etc.

6. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

I may run Gilligan's Island again next year, I had a blast running it.

Next year I will be running,

Nightmare on Sesame Street and Treehouse of Horrors 666.

MoT

7. iddig ap nil

iddig ap nil Level 0 Character

I'm looking at 2e AD&D presently, I think. I know, there's lots of AD&D, but it's still great fun. :)

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Level 0 Character

Me too, I'm thinking of running Menzoberranzan.

9. francisca

francisca Troubadour

That would work well. I think a Scooby Doo would provide ample fodder for Fiasco, as well.

For my part, if it is in, I think I'll bring along OGRE Designer's Edition. Possibly Crimson Skies, as well (the old FASA board game, not the clicky based game).

10. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'll be running more Top Secret, AD&D, and Boot Hill. Maybe some Gangbusters, Amber Diceless and Star Frontiers as well. I was going to try and fit in my Scooby Doo Cthulhu adventure, A Spooky Night For An Elder Fright.

Anyway, we'll see. I'd like to still have a voice when it's over.;)

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Amber? Really? Brave soul.

12. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I ran Amber for Gary Con IV. Small group but we had fun. ;)

13. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Running 6 games next year

Nightmare on Sesame Street - CoC d20
    Children are disappearing on Sesame Street, it is up to Grover, Cookie Monster, Ernie and Burt to find them. PC controlled hand puppets

Simpson's Treehouse of Horrors 666 - CoC d20
    At the Mountains of Madness parody.

Kiss-Tastrophe- MSH 2nd

The Avengers vs Cthulhu MSH 2nd
    Cthulhu has broken through the surface of Manhattan and is destroying the city, can the Earth's mightiest heroes defeat the Elder God?

Terror on the Love Boat CoC d20

Escape from Gilligan's Island CoC d20

Plus

DGS Presents TSR One on One adventures - 30 min solo adventures. Choose from, Ad&d, Star Frontiers, GangBusters, Indiana Jones and MSH

14. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

I'll blow out Saturday morning with a series of four Saturday morning 'toon games:

Thundarr
    Herculoids/Space Ghost crossover
    Thundercats
    Wrapping up with a Hanna Barberra Laff-A-Lympics 15-person, 3-team, TOON free-for-all.

Then I'll start drinking heavily.

15. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

It's a good thing I already thing you guys are nuts, because you're both NUTS!

16. mark

mark Spellbinder

I think I might have to run more than just one wargame and one RPG scenario for next year. :)

I think I might add in a couple more 1E AD&D scenarios since that seems very popular.

17. osarious

osarious Chevalier

The whole family are dying to play Nightmare on Sesame Street and Escape from Gilligan's Island.

How much to run a private session for my family? (At GaryCon or elsewhere?)

18. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

I'd certainly be willing to run a repeat performance, however the games are designed for adults. Though, I should be able to tone it down a little for a younger audience (or not :twisted: )

BTW, the DGS is going to Origins this year, anyone else driving out?

MoT

19. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I'd love to play some DCC RPG and Advanced Hackmaster next year, plus a bunch of C&C. I'd like to run a C&C game and I've got an idea for a Mutant Future con game I've been kicking around for a couple years. With a year to prep, I should be able to whip something together.

20. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

I ran 2 old school 1rst edition mods (Ghost Tower of Inverness and Tomb of the lizard King). Looking to run a couple others for GC VI. Perhaps White Plume Mountain and Return to White Plume Mountain.