Games I just can't say 'no' to......

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by the keeper, Nov 21, 2009.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

It's a gaming forum, right? Why not list our favorite, all-time, can't say no to, games. Here's my top three..

1. Anything 'Axis & Allies': Just love 'em all

2. 'Warrior Knights' by Fantasy Flight Games: I've won & I've lost in this great game that holds my interest all the way to the end every time.

3. Anything else from A to Z. Guess I'am just a gamnig fanatic!

What's your 'can't say no to' game?

2. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Big fan of Axis & Allies as well.

Board game wise, I have trouble saying no to AH's Wizard's Quest as well as Titan.

Amusingly, I'm working on a fantasy rules set that uses Axis & Allies mechanics to fight a wargame using the Isle of Marnon board from Wizard's Quest.. if I can get it work, I think it'll be a fun change of pace.

Andy

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

You may wish to borrow some ideas from an old PC game called 'Fantasy General.' Could have some of the component ideas you'd be looking for. i.e. Light cavalry, skirmishers, magic-users, archers, generals, etc. I was addicted to this game, as well as, 'Panzer General', 'Allied General' & 'People's General.' Hope this helps.

4. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

DBA and Battletech are two games that fallen into that category of late.

I also can't resist Settlers of Cataan or anything about Mesopotamia/Ancient History.

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Have you checked out "Ad Astra" by Fantasy Flight Games? It is very similar to Settlers & plays in about two hours. Good fun.

6. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Twilight Imperium 2nd ed, unappologetic asskicking, galactic style, with tech levels. Never mind the third ed, where they tried to water it down with mechanics from Puerto Rico. This is the real deal.

Babylon 5 CCG. Played this game in it's heyday, grand times. It truly captures the sweep, epic and political, of the B5U.

7. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

For me the list would definitely include Risk, chess, and Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

8. Dale

Dale Administrator

For me it would be a board game from Belgium called Sindbad

:p

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I spent many an hour playing Panzer General 1 and 2. Ernie played a ton of people's general as well- though I never owned that game.

10. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Risk is definitely on the list. Even the Risk 2210 version (sci-fi) is one I really like. (There are other versions of Risk but these are the two I like.)

Settlers of Catan is another game I absolutely enjoy. If I see a game of that going on, I will definitely try and play. I also love doing the back room dealing style of play. It can get down and dirty when you play with us.

Those are just a few but I guess these are the most irresistible since it's easy to pick them up and play them. Familiarity with the rules and ease of play makes it really hard to say no.

11. aemmel

aemmel Level 0 Character

Risk for me as well. Through Stratego on there, a good game of chess, and Axis and Allies is never passed upon, if there's time.

12. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Actually Lord of the Rings Risk was a lot of fun to play as well. Never played Settlers but I've heard its good. Carcassonne is pretty good if you've never tried it.

Andy

13. marjasall

marjasall Level 0 Character

Chess
    RISK
    Dungeon
    Othello
    Stratego
    Uno, with 4 or more people (it can go on forever)

...I'm sure there's other I'm forgetting.

14. Melf

I'll throw a couple games out there that I enjoy as well.

Stone Age (with 4 people only)
    Settlers of Cataan
    San Juan
    Liars Dice (with beer and munchies)
    Dragon Lairds
    Just about any of Tom Wham's silly and fun games

15. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

What, no Pit? lol

16. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I can't believe I forgot to mention one of my favorites of all time:

KILL DR. LUCKY!

Man, that's just a fun little boardgame.

17. Melf

GP- bring kill Dr Lucky, please. I have not played in years.

And I did forget to mention Pit. That is a fun game and hopefully Frank mentzer will bring a copy to Gary Con.

18. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Well, if I can make it to the Con, I still have the score sheet from when we played at GaryCon 0. lol

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll make sure I set it to the side. Look forward to it.

In fact, if you want to put the game down in the schedule somewhere that will be good. It's all up to how you would like to play it.

GP
    Derek

20. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Anyone play the "Munchkin" card game? I did for the first time not too long ago and it was pretty humorous... And I am all about a solid game of drunk "Scrabble". Who's with me?