Games I May Run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 13, 2010.

1. francisca

francisca Troubadour

No way dude! My friend from janesville brought down a 6 pack of spotted cow for at GenCon. It's calling my name, right now.......mmmmmmmmm......spotted cow....

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Ewwww...but better than nothing IMO - GMs are the life-blood of a Con. Unofficially (and who knows, maybe even officially), I think the preference is for 2nd ed. or older.

3. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Called shot on francisca!

4. Donal

Donal Administrator

What's 4e?

5. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Think pen-and-paper MMO and then add to it restrictions on how you can play.

Video games should be electronic and RPGs should be paper, IMHO.

6. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Of course. Wait, just a couple?

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

You know, I think this thread has gone WAY past the point of JediSoth's original post.

8. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

If you run it with the expectation that players know and are comfortable with 4E, I'm not sure you'll find many players who qualify. Maybe more than I think, maybe not.

If you run it as an introduction to the system for newcomers, with some time for explaining major mechanics and compare/contrast to early editions* in addition to playing, you might find a handful of curious folk. I'd be mildly interested and might join that, depending on how it fits my schedule.

* if it's possible to do within a time slot. My understanding is 3.X is much more rules-heavy, and not sure if/how much 4E scales that back.

9. francisca

francisca Troubadour

About as much as if you took a 2007 Honda Civic with plastic ground effects and under-chassie neon lights to a classic muscle car show. You'll get some dirty looks and a few snarky comments I'm sure, but I doubt anybody will kick your ass.

10. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Yeah, but it's been an interesting read nonetheless.

For the record, Honda Civics will not be featured in either of my games. Neither will Daily/Encounter/At-Will powers. :p

11. greg

greg Level 0 Character

I wouldn't run it if it was offensive to the Gygax family but in reality I don't think 4e would even exist if it wasn't for Gary nor WoW for that matter, at least not the way we know WoW today. For me, rules are just there as guidelines and rulesets come and go but the spirit of getting a group of friends together to storm a castle or investigate an ancient mystery transcends editions. I'd love to run an older edition but I have allot less experience which is the only reason I suggested 4e. Anyway, I didn't mean to create any controversy or to hijack Jedisoth's thread so I will drop the notion of running 4e and just be happy that I will get to experience the superior rulesets first hand, as a player.

12. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Greg,

I remember this topic coming up last year and, IIRC, Luke happily said all games are welcome. No one is going to be upset about a 4E game though you'll probably have one or two people give you a chuckle or two about it.

GaryCon, from my experience, seems to focus on a lot of games that are no longer in print. It's not just about OD&D, D&D or AD&D because I've seen a number of other RPG's and boardgames played at this Con that aren't being sold anymore. It's a way, imo, of introducing people to games they may never have heard of as well as a way of recognizing those games that helped bring us to where we are today.

Looking to the past helps us find our place in the present while we look ahead to the future.

So, if you run a 4E game, I'm sure you'll have a few people sign up just to see what it's all about. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing someone bring the new "Essentials" box set and do a comparison/contrast with the original Mentzer boxed set. Those type of discussions, if done with the right mindset, are often quite interesting.

FWIW,

GP

13. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

I'm going to be assisting Keeper with his Wings of War games in the mornings, as for role playing I'm thinking of running a game of Adventure Quest Jaern. The main designer, Dan Lawrence, passed away this year and I can think of no better tribute than to introduce his system to a bunch of new gamers. His campaign has been running for over thirty years, anyone else here ever make their way through the Lafayette area and get a chance to play?

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Assisting?? :shock: I thought you where running a "Wings" event :?: I'll be registering the events next week, so we better get our heads together, SOON! Either reply on this thread or PM me.

15. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

I'll be running the WWII stuff in the mornings, that's for sure. I meant assisting more along the lines of "assisting the Keeper in dominating the events schedule" :D

16. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

OH, now I understand. I thought I would schedule the WWII "Wings" for 10:am-noon saturday & the same for sunday. That will give you friday for anything you want to do, plus saturday & sunday afternoons & evenings. Let me know if this sounds okay, & I will register all the events.

17. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

Sure, that works for me.

18. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Nope. Never did. I work with two guys who knew him pretty, exchanged e-mail with him (about telengard), and met him a few times, but never gamed with him.

19. lejanius

lejanius Level 0 Character

I registered to run 2 higher level hackmaster games (same game, 2 different time slots).

In addition I plan to run Aces and Eights demos at the Kenzer both during all my free time.