Gaming System Clarification - D & D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Racich, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Blake Racich

Blake Racich Level 0 Character

Although this won't necessarily affect me this year, I was curious about clarifying information for future preparations.

Thus, the schedule includes all of the different gaming systems. My focus right now is purely D and D.

With that in mind, some of the 'systems' are crystal clear (5th Ed), D&D (Original) - white box.

But others, to me, are a bit fuzzy. Maybe the devil is in the details but I was looking for clarification on the following:

D&D (Basic) - John Eric Holmes in 1977
    D&D (1st Ed) - B/X - Moldvay and Cook

There was also a version written by Mentzer (Basic Rules / Expert Rules / Companion Rules / Master Rules /Immortals Rules)

If anyone can provide clarification on how the 'gaming system' matches up to the various flavors I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

The Holmes, blue version is the first, basic rules only, copyright 1977. Moldvay (editor) and Mentzer revised the basic rules for a 1981 "red box" (Otus art) release. Zeb Cook wrote the expert, blue box, which took levels up to 14. Mentzer revised it again in 1983 with Basic (1-3, Elmore art), Expert (4-14), Companion (15-25), Master (26-36), and Immortal (+36) sets. This info was eventually combined into the Rules Cyclopedia. I haven't played much D&D in my day (mostly all AD&D) and I know there are differences between the sets, but I believe everything is essentially compatible and if you buy the Cyclopedia, that's all you need except for campaign material. Someone correct me if I got any of this wrong.

3. tellion

tellion Footpad

There is no normalizing of the game system listed in the schedule, so you're best bet is to check the game description for any specifications. You'll find that some games listed as D&D (Basic) will indicate they are using Holmes or Moldvay or other variations. Other listings will not specific one way or another. Also, some events provided URLs for more contact and/or more information.

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

• My first suggestion is: don't worry about it. If you go to a game thinking it was going to be Mentzer Basic, but it turns out to be Holmes Basic, the differences are so minor in a 1-shot convention game, there's no need to be concerned or interested.
    • If you're absolutely positively sure it really makes a difference to you:

AD&D (1st Ed) - obvious
    AD&D (2nd Ed) - obvious
    D&D (3rd Ed) - could be 3 or 3.5, I guess. None seem to specify. Not sure how different they are.
    D&D (4th Ed) - Heh, heh. There are literally no 4E games scheduled.
    D&D (5th Ed) - obvious

D&D (Original) - Mostly obvious. Which supplements used is unknown and likely to vary. One event seems to be Holmes Basic, which I would categorize as Basic, not D&D (Original), but I'm sure some people would argue that point.
    D&D (Basic) - Could be Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, or later editions - although since there is a BECMI category, Mentzer would more properly belong there. Some events specify which one, most don't. A couple are also Basic Fantasy, which is a retroclone. Unsure which version it most attempts to emulate, if any.
    BECMI - Should just be Mentzer, although one specifies that it's very hybrided 'mash-up' rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons#Timeline

5. Blake Racich

Blake Racich Level 0 Character

Thanks for the replies and valued information.

I'm not overly worried about it, but being a noob to the convention I just want to ensure that I'm adequately prepared. I just want smooth game play for all and anything I can to prior to game time will hopefully benefit the group.

Thanks again.

6. grodog

grodog Troubadour

7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Yeah, pretty much this. Honestly...if you are familiar with any (Moldvay, Holmes, Mentzer) of the D&D games, you can play them all in a 1-shot game. If you are familiar with either version of AD&D, you can probably play a 1e or a 2e game with minimal trouble. (Maybe avoid characters that changed dramatically from one to the other-notably, rangers.) I am running my game in 1e AD&D-I could probably change it to 2e in a couple hours. The only reason I don't is that I simply do not have the 2e stuff.

8. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

OD&D(1974) is the one true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

find me at the Con. roll 3d6 in order. S I W C D Ch. pre Supplement I Greyhawk.

Navar likes this.