Gaming with kids at GaryCon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tavis, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Yes, we are interested. In fact we already discussed doing a special young gamers area and running some pre-reg events for younger gamers.

Keep us posted on what you want to do GP and we can work out something good for our next generation of players.

Luke

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Definitely! I'm going to try (Lord willing and the creek don't rise any higher!) to start play test some old Moldvay modules with my daughter, wife and whoever else is willing every other Sunday. I looked through the old modules and thought they were so HUGE when I was a kid but now that I'm an adult they seem so small compared to what I have to read on a weekly basis.

This also gives me an excuse to spend more time with the family since Sunday evenings are usually our time together. I'm going for light hearted and fun with a bit of hack-n-slash. I'll probably be posting some ideas and thoughts as time grows nearer.

EDIT: Oh, and if I can work it out for my wife to come next year maybe I can talk her into showing how to make games for little ones. She hand makes boardgames for her students every Christmas. This allows them to have a present from the teacher but also keeps them practicing learning skills over the holidays.

3. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Everyone's aware I teach games, right? :D

4. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

Isn't that part of being a GM/DM/ST?

;)

Joking aside could you elaborate?

5. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

6. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

7. extsr

extsr Chevalier

On Sat I taught a 12-year-old to play Black Box (abstract boardgame). He liked it, so I gave him a copy to take home.

Sometime this year, teach a kid a new game.

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

How did he do at Black Box? You showed it to me (kid at heart!) last year and I have to admit it was a bit of a brain cruncher but I enjoyed it a great deal. It's always good to hear about more youngsters learning a game.

I've only got one child who is really old enough for games but I'm going to try and teach her a few new games this year. Definitely something we should all be doing.....it keeps the hobby alive.

(I have a friend who jokingly says she's growing the next generation of gamers the hard way......She keeps having kids!)

9. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I can't speak highly enough about Mr. Mentzer. Last year, as I was roaming about filming, there is Frank teaching a game to one young kid in the open gaming room. At this point in his career, I don't think anyone would begrudge him sitting back and participating in an event or two, but not Frank. He's out there gaming every slot, giving everyone he can an opportunity to play with a TSR VIP. And what a great speech at this year's auction about teaching a game, any game, to the next generation, to help keep our hobby alive, prosperous and relevant in an age dominated by video games. I plan to do a lot of teaching this year. Kudos, Frank; that's why you're the man.