Gary Con Auction Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JIm Kitchen, Mar 16, 2017.

1. JIm Kitchen

JIm Kitchen Level 0 Character

With us being a week away from Gary Con I wanted to give everyone an update on what is happening with the auction and how we’re going to be handling things and what we will be doing to try to make it a pretty easy experience for everyone.

If you haven’t heard the proceeds from this year’s auction will be going to help Jim Ward with his medical bills. Jim’s had some bad turns medically over the last year of two and hopefully our efforts will see some relief for Jim and his family.

Jim is one of the pioneers of the industry. From a chance meeting with Gary Gygax in a bookstore in Lake Geneva he went on to a career in game design that included designing the first science fiction roleplaying game, Metamorphosis Alpha. With numerous games, modules and scenarios to his credit Jim was inducted into the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame in 1989 and the first recipient of the Gary Gygax Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016. Even from his hospital bed today he’s writing and working on his latest project, 77 Worlds.

We are encouraging Gary Con attendees, guests, former TSR staff and the rpg collecting community to come together in our efforts to help Jim. We need donations for the auction that will excite bidders and give us a chance to help Jim and his family.

What can you do?

The easiest thing is to donate something to the auction. Stand in front of your bookcase or cabinet and take a long look at you might be able to donate for the cause. Then, after picking out some things, either bring it or arrange to have it brought to the show. We’ll be taking donations through Friday afternoon as we get ready to auction them. Anything you care to donate would be greatly appreciated.

How will the auction work?

Right now we are planning on having the auction on Saturday afternoon. If we receive so many donations that we have too many to auction in the appointed time we will look to set up a silent/ticket auction for several hours Saturday morning of less valuable items.

I have a game scheduled at the time of the auction! What do I do?

We will be taking proxy bids for people who want to bid on specific items but have a conflict with their scheduled games. Proxy bids will be tied to your Gary Con badge and are only available to attendees.

What will be in the auction?

As items are donated we will post pictures to a thread on the Gary Con forum and the Gary Con Facebook page. Updates will be made as items are received.

Luke has asked Matthew Teets and myself to help with the auction. If you have specific questions both of us will be available to help you out.

Poindexter and dndgeek like this.