Gary Con Event Tickets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Donal

Donal Administrator

We’re going to try something a bit different this year. Please bear with us as we’ve tried to address some of the problems we faced as Gary Con has grown from around 60 attendees at Gary Con 0 to the over 200 we’ll predict for this year.

The problems we anticipated having with this growth include:
    • Finding a suitably large venue
    • Attracting special guests
    • Rewarding DMs for running the events that really make a convention
    • Having sufficient administrative support to manage on-site registration
    • Managing all of the above with a very small budget
    The last two problems are the ones we’re still not sure about, but I’m going to speak briefly about the administrative side. In the past we’ve used sign up sheets and the entire convention was open gaming. This year, we accepted advance events and registrations--which although a good thing, created an additional administrative burden we hadn’t previously dealt with. Since events are still free at Gary Con, we needed to think about how best to have a system that allowed all players to participate, without needing to be in line at 5am on Friday morning to grab those few choice events that remain.

So, we’ve gone out on a limb this year. We apologize in advance if this system crashes and burns, but we’re hopeful for the best.

Basically, all players at Gary Con will receive a fixed number of event tickets. If you pre-registered, some of those tickets will be tied to specific events. But all players will also receive a few additional general event tickets. To play in an event, you need to be at the assigned table at the appropriate time (early is good too). The DMs will then accept players with the specific event tickets first. If all of those players are present, the event is full. If not all of those players show, then the DM will allow players with general event tickets to play next. If the game is still not full, then the DM will open the game up to players without event tickets.

If you change your mind about attending an event that you have the specific event ticket for, don’t worry about it. You can swap your ticket for a general ticket at the registration desk, and this will still give you some priority for another event you may wish to play in.

It’s a simple process, and by doing it this way, we avoid the necessity of having a registration desk burdened with processing event tickets all day. Or as we’ve done in the past, having sign-up sheets for the events in order to fill them and track alternate players. While that concept worked in the past, this year we have about 5 times more events that last and almost double the players. The lines and hassles we anticipate with a sign-up sheet aren’t something we want to try.

It’s also important to note that we will not hand out more tickets than available event slots. We hope and intend for players to be able to jump into events without a ticket. This system is just intended to give a bit more priority for those events you really, really want to try to get into.

And if this process is something you want nothing to do with, feel free to utilize our open gaming room. We wanted to stay true to Gary Con’s humble beginnings by continuing to allow open gaming to all those interested.

FAQ to follow later.

2. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Is there any even remotely convenient way for us to be able to review which events/slots we signed up for prior to getting the tickets at the Con? Just curious. No big I guess if I have to wait until then to "remember." My dunderheaded self should've jotted 'em down.
    Thanks.

3. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

You're not the only one! ;)

4. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

If we purchased our tickets already, online, can we pick them up at the con or do we need to print out something. I cannot for the life of me remember if I received my badge via email already. I'm going through my mail now though.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

You will get your tickets and info when you pick up your badge.

See you at the registration desk downstairs!

:)

6. FelixZ

FelixZ Level 0 Character

I sure hope you have someone guiding everyone where to go...