Gary Con III - The Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by forgemeister, Jul 13, 2010.

1. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Ok, so I'm gearing up for another great getaway wherein I can play with some great folks for a few days and celebrate the life of the man that shaped role-playing like no other. D&D is such a fantastic engine for game play, further, that I feel confident that I can write an adventure to fit ANY topic that might be suggested.

So here's the challenge...

What would you, (as players), like to see in an adventure? What situation have you always wanted to face that no adventure has yet been written for? I DARE YOU to throw somethig at me that will be fun, but difficult to write.... I'll put up a votable on the first five ideas that see light here, and I will then write a 1st Edition adventure on whatsoever topic is the most popular.

I'll even put the name of whoever comes up with the idea that wins in the credits as this will be another "one-off" adventure module like last year's...

Be prepared; I may ask for a few details in reference to an idea so as to ensure that I fully explore your vision. So details may be asked for, without necessarily being a prerequisite for idea submission.

Have at it! (and I'll see y'all in spring!)
    XXOOCC

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

How about a scenario in which the characters are on a boat and get sucked into a magical whirlpool (rift in the physical plane?) and gets dumped into another area (same plane to account for the water displacement) and has been receiving ships for the past couple hundred years. Have the area magically imbued (a la Journey to the Center of the Earth & Behind the Looking Glass).

Maybe an evil temple in the area opened the rift and that is the source to close the rift- however, the players are trapped. How do they get back?

Random thought for the spark of an adventure.

3. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

PC awaken in the middle of a dead temple, little investigation let them know that they have been frozen (or turned into stone cariatids, into undead creatures or some other servant creature) from a dark god/goddess.

The trip back to normality is filled with riddles, even magical ones, about how their new world point of view and their new ecology.

The PC are going to flee from those linked to the dark god/goddess, faithful and mercenaries alike.

The PC also have to fight against their old nature: they are seen as a threat to those they belonged to and they have to react in a new way in order to survive (like a vampire who do not know that has to hide from the sun).

The Idea of an elven (a normal high elf) PC turned into a drider is the first one I fought. He is an abominion even to other driders.

The second is a flesh golem. This has been already seen even if I do not remember this in D&D.

Another interesting situation I think is the freed self-aware spell, maybe an illusion like those created from a sort of Mirror images that create not the exact cornucopia but a group of adventurers, and now the illusions escaped from the control of an evil wizard and are stalked by paladins and commoners alike but also from the previous followers of the evil wizard, especially those that caused his death betraying him.

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

This sounds very cool. I wish I could come up with an inspired idea.

5. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I like Dale's best so far - but its not up to me - I'll have them put up a voting que on this once I have a couple of more ideas...

... and in that vein...

These are ALL good so far - keep them coming...

XXOOCC

6. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

The party is on foot, travelling to a nearby village, half a day's march away, but they need to traverse a forest to get there. They've done it before and they know that the usual encounters and impediments are always present. What they don't know is that a few nights before, the fey held one of their rites, dancing around a faerie ring, but they were rudely interrupted at the climax and had to flee. This caused an invisible and normally undetectable vortex to form, whirling about the site. Whatever disrupted the faeries is caught in it, as will any that approach the meadow, directly in the party's path. However, being relatively familiar with the area, they know it's "bad luck" to enter the holy site. The effect is that whomsoever enters the vortex circles the meadow continuously, not necessarily in the same path, one might go to the left of a tree on the first pass, to the right on the second. One may stop at anytime to rest, eat or take care of personal business, but that could very well result in another trapped in the vortex to catch up with them. This sets up any encounter one might find in a forest at one convenient location. Eventually, if they don't realize it, give them clues as to the situation. To break the vortex, one need only speak a fey language, stop, face the meadow and verbally apologize for the disruption of the energies in the site. Treasure can be had from their encounters, but they could also be rewarded by a fey waiting to return, but unable to enter the vortex because he/she was thrown out of it.

Well, that's the idea and there's some dots to be connected, but it might make for an interesting time.

7. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I'm thinking cold, snow and mountains . . less of the inside of Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarle - and more of the outside and or surrounding areas. Frostburn, Frost and Fur . . Vikings, sea voyages to frozen islands, - but with some lava/volcano twists (a la Iceland), gold, Star Wars on the ice world of Hoth(?) Norse Mythology, etc., etc!

Oh and run under Lejendary Adventures' Rules!!! :D

8. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Wow - I can't pub the adventure, even as a one-off, under the LA rules... and part of the idea is to do a full-blown production one-off that the con can auction off (like last year) to help defray the expense of having the con.

BUT

I could RUN an LA adventure at the con, and in fact I have one that has not yet seen the light of day... Kraken Time... (I also have one currently titled Chick on a Stick, but that's incomplete) we'll see on that score, and most likely in a different thread. Watch also for a new rpg I'd like to bring to the con tentatively (or at least currently) called Lance (sci-fi in outer space near future). Also will surface in a different thread.

I like the Vikings and the frozen north idea as well, altho the farie ring, while reminiscent of one of my favorite Jon Creffield advents, is a bit restrictive... (I'm gonna need a bit more space than that to write a good, solid, standard, twisty, Clark-esque adventure).

I'll pop out with the faves to vote upon on Tuesday of next week.
    Short form: Get your ideas up on the boards here!

XXOOCC

9. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Okay this took longer than I expected to get to a voting scenario - If anyone that sets up the site here reads this - please feel free to turn it into a "real" voting process.... otherwise, here are your voting options, and please state your preference in this thread. Note that all of these potential adventures have standard "wacky Chris" double entendre names....

1) Using Dale's Magical whirlpool idea: Kraken Time

2) From Luca, the PC's awaken as "slowly returning to normal characters following petrification (being changed to statues) : Statue of Limitations

3) From Bloodymage's cursed forest: Forest of Spears

4) From Rhuvein's need for a tale of the icy north: Frozen Entry

Okay folks - post yer votes! - and Rhu - I WILL run some LA :D
    XXOOCC

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

"ROW, ROW, ROW YOUR BOAT......" :lol:
    Yeah, that's my vote.
    (Sorry Dale, couldn't resist!)

11. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Excellent, Chris!! :D

12. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Ok - so.... so far one vote for Dale (Kraken Time).... I hope to begin writing by the end of August... so don't dally, VOTE!
    XXOOCC

13. Dale

Dale Administrator

Can I vote for each one of them?

Nice job on the titles for the adventures.

;)

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I have to admit I like both Dale & Luca's concepts but if I had to choose I'd go with Statue of Limitations. It's very close to a concept I've wanted to use in a game but I've never had the chance to do it. (I actually played a Gnome Illusionist once. His backstory had it where he'd been used as a "garden gnome" statue until someone changed him back. It was his goal to find out who changed him back and why.)

15. kersus

kersus Footpad

Wow, there are some good ideas there. The Winter style campaigns are always a favorite of mine - however for a one-shot I think I'll vote for Luca's Statue of Limitations.

This isn't to say the others aren't great ideas. It's a hard choice.

16. Ronin84

Ronin84 Level 0 Character

I'm hoping to be there again this year and my vote would be for Kraken Time...and my specific reasoning is that I have never played in a good riddle con event, time always seems to be the enemy, not the riddle itself.

Just my 2 cents and yes I have been to a lot of cons. ;)

17. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Dale - of course you can vote!

We have two for Kraken Time and two for Statue of Limitations.... tell your friends (especially those that will/might attend) to vote!
    XXOOCC

18. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

My vote of course is for the Swanson (Viking) Frozen Entree! Yummy! ;)

19. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I'll cast for #2.

20. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

We have two for Kraken Time, three for Statue of Limitations, and one for Frozen Entry.
    I haven't decided precisely the day that I will close voting, but it will be around the end of this month.

XXOOCC