Gary Con IV Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Since Gen Con is over and I am not caught up on Post-Gen Con ENnies stuff, it's time to start planning my Gary Con!

So, I've started thinking about what I may run. Since we have an extra day, I may run between 2-4 games, probably under the auspices of Dead Games Society (make sense for me, since all the games I'd run are out-of-print).

Dungeons & Dragons (Rules Cyclopedia/BECMI)
    Yes, technically there are some differences between BECMI & the Rules Cyclopedia, but it's not like they're different editions. I was thinking of going crazy this year and using GAZ10: The Orcs of Thar to create an adventure for a party of monsters. It would be a light-hearted fun romp.

Paranoia
    If I can get my creative juices sufficiently flowing, I'll have a new Paranoia scenario. I'm trying to work out a way to mash-in a bunch of Portal references, including an experimental Portal Gun (or Clone-Portable Quantum Tunneling Device). The Computer might as well get some data from all those clone deaths, right?

Ghostbusters
    Imagine you're at a con and some well-meaning cos-playing inadvertantly enact a ritual that summons the spirit of a Toltec god which then possesses all the statues, miniatures and models in the convention with which to wreck havoc. Who you gonna call?

Star Wars
    I was thinking of something along the lines of a Rebel assault on an Imperial Capital ship, either to sabotage it, or to retrieve some MacGuffin. Would feature ship-on-ship combat, running battles, stealth, etc. I've just started kicking this one around.

That's all I've got rattling around in my head for now. There's a couple of other games I'd love to get going on, but they're not exactly old school (Hollow Earth Expedition, Bulldogs!, and Pathfinder), so I'll probably keep them out of my Gary Con bag o' tricks.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Its hard to beat the laughs of a well run Paranoia game...

3. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Paranoia was lots of fun. I ran that for my Dad (and I think Jim Ward might have been there as well) as a break between adventures in our regular D&D game back in the mid-80s. I really enjoyed the Treason Reports in triplicate. Good times. That would be a fun game to play at Gary Con.

4. ghul

ghul Chevalier

I intend to run about 4-6 sessions of my HYPERBOREA campaign. This year I'm hoping to get Luke to sign up for one of my games... :)

5. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Wow! Paranoia has been lots of fun also for me!
    Unfortunately it has been translated into Italian quite fast so the lots of specific terminology of the game could request some hours of study on pirate files downloaded from the www :?
    Is there a place at the table? Just to know...

6. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I almost always have an extra character or two (for some reason, I don't screw up ticketing at Gary Con like I did at Gen Con this year), so walk-ons are more than welcome.

7. silas

silas Chevalier

Those sound great: I'll try to get into the Paranoia game for sure!

I am already thinking about what I want to run at GaryCon IV (now officially my favorite convention)

Here are my ideas so far ...

Indiana Jones Adventures (D6 West End Games): time for some fast, rules-light pulpy adventure!

Hercules and Xena (D6 Legend, West End Games) complete with Dwarven Forge dungeons and caves.

A BECMI game (or perhaps RC)

A Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Call of Cthulhu adventure (the one I ran at GenCon)

But I certainly plan on getting into a Classic D&D adventure (or maybe AD&D) and anything else that looks really cool.

One of the DGS guys ran a couple TORG adventures at GenCon, but I wasn't able to play in them because I was running game -ugh!

8. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I'll most likely run Early Bird AD&D and Star Frontiers again. It left my evenings free to get into some really cool games.

9. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I'd love to have a BX/LL type thing to run, possibly a Garycon release for FMG, but I haven't started writing anything in particular yet.

10. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Jeff- I really need to play some games this year! I have not played Hackmaster with Dave and Jolly or played D&D with Frank or C&C with Steve. I definitely want to play Hyperborea with you as well. So I better buckle down and do some serious playing at Gary Con IV!

11. ghul

ghul Chevalier

Sounds great, Luke. No pressure. Looking forward to all the mayhem!

12. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Hey, I might actually be able to make this next one! I'm supposed to be out of this house come Monday and if I can actually get my s**t together by March, bloodymage may just make another appearance, hopefully in better health.

Hmmm.... wonder what my currently frazzled brain can dream up for events? Think I'll wait until I'm in my new digs.

13. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I am writing the new 1st Ed. AD&D adventure, as we speak, for GC IV. I could go into a lengthy and detailed discussion over what a great honor I feel that these adventures have been so well received over the last several years, but suffice it to say that offering them at GaryCon is one of the proudest moments I have at the show.

Enough! What's on tap for this year? Will icy winds blow through a fozen tundra populated by strange creatures from another dimension? Will undead plague the lands under the guise of civic improvement? Has a volcano been subverted for use by forces too evil for the mind to fully grasp?

This year's "Chris' personal D&D adventure done as a single-print full blown production" is...

False Prints
    A web of intrigue surrounds the new prince of a local petty kingdom. Soon to assume the mantle of rulership, the prince plans on eliminating certain highly sexist rituals from the royal court, and the aristocracy has revolted. Assassination attempts have been made, and the prince needs your help as he is unsure who he can trust. Can you protect him until his coronation?

As usual, this adventure has more twists than a bent corkscrew. Don't miss it!

XXOOCC

14. mark

mark Spellbinder

Cool stuff, Mr Clark. :)

15. Dale

Dale Administrator

False Prints sounds great!

I was just talking to Luke tonight, and he mentioned your module. In fact, you are among the few who do this each year. It is no easy task.

So, thanks for your continued support of Gary Con- we greatly appreciate the time you put into crafting your modules. And, more importantly, being a part of the GC experience.

16. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

For my first outing to Gary Con, I may need to dust off some of the older texts I have around here. I ran some Mutant Future games at gen Con that were well-received, but I'd love to run a Ghostbusters game (Classic West End d6 goodness), and possibly Timemaster or Dream Park.

17. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I fear that real life has reared its ugly head. I don't think I will be running any games, but I will do my damnedest to get there to play.

I have tons of material;

One basic D&D game written and tested
    I posted information about that game here:
    http://jolietgaming.proboards.com/index ... thread=623

Another partially written and awaiting testing.
    I'm entitling it Samhain - It is meant to be a Halloween/Horror game centered around the celebration of the holiday. I'm debating if I want to include the hook in the description.

One Marvel Super Heroes game written, tested, revised, and awaiting testing.
    I posted information about that game here:
    http://jolietgaming.proboards.com/index ... =gdcmarvel

I could also easily throw together a Star Wars SAGA game.

I have the games, just do not have the time to test them. I would feel it would be a disservice to go in half prepared.

18. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I'm still planning on trying to run a Moldvay/Cook D&D game if there is any interest. I'm also entertaining any requests for other types of games. There are a number of boardgames I would be willing to actually put on the schedule.

Does anyone think there'd be interest for an "Intro to RPGs" game for 10-14 year old kids? That's an age range I'm familiar with and wouldn't mind running a game for.....maybe I can get in touch with Steve Chenault and see if he'd be willing to run one similar to what he did at TrollCon a few years ago.

19. wyrdbrew

wyrdbrew Level 0 Character

At a con here in MA last year, someone ran B2 for some kids using Mentzer Basic. The kids played adventurers and the adults accompanying them played the henchmen. Everyone looked like they were having a lot of fun.

20. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Great idea. You might trade notes with Jeffery St. Clair, who ran kid- and non-morning-person-friendly "Early Bird" game Friday morning last year. francisca, his two young sons and I played in it and had a blast. It was low key, relaxed and an easy way to game with the kids (and after a Gary Con Thursday night at the pub!).

Also, you should e-mail/PM tacojohn4547, who planned to run a kids only game at Kant Con earlier this year, though I think some scheduling issues may have interfered and I can't recall whether it took flight or not. He might also have some pointers.

Running games for younger guys (and gals!) is a great service to the gaming community. I commend anyone who's willing to do it.