Gary Con IV Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 9, 2011.

1. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I am writing feverishly on False Prints, and we playtested the openining gambit this Sunday morning. I will say only this...

Clever players will be unlivable after they beat this adventure. The term 'bragging rights' falls far short.
    Less-than-clever players will most likely visit my house after the con to burn it down. :D

This adventure is ROLE PLAYING, big time. Yes, you can hack a lot of things to death. Yes, there will be foul denizens in need of destruction.
    No, you can't get through this adventure merely by putting the best possible edge on your blade, or launching a level 18 fireball down the hall.

The gauntlet has been dropped. Who, I wonder, will pick it up?
    (17 pages into the adventure... and counting) - XXOOCC

2. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

...and, btw, Thanks Dale. Gary Con is the absolute bar-none best aspect of the gaming hobby. Would that I could do without sleep when its doors are open.
    XXOOCC

3. mark

mark Spellbinder

Assuming we can find it . . . :oops:

4. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well, this place isn't fun yet, either but I've whipped together something called "The Golden Four" an AD&D thing for half a dozen 5th-7th level characters.

5. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

*Stimpy-squeal* ...sounds like my kinda game. My favorite levels for AD&D are between about 5th-9th. :cool:

6. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Same for me, starting probably at 3rd.
    Unfortunately I'm planning to play more events using more English than my brain will confront with...

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

The more you play, the more English you'll pick up, perhaps? My mother learned English (she's German) watching "I Love Lucy" in the 60s. Frankly, I'm surprised she doesn't speak with a Cuban accent.

8. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'm departing somewhat a bit from my usual pure old school TSR fare this year and running a few games outside the brand. For this year's convention I bring on behalf of the Dead Games Society...

Reflections of Amber, Amber Diceless Roleplaying

The Chicago Way, Gangbusters

Winter's Bloom, Vampire, The Dark Ages (VtM)

The Left Hand of Omega, The Doctor Who Role Playing Game (Fasa)

And then there is the off chance that I will be debuting something else of my own in the vein of 1950's cold war era. I call it, Checkpoint Charlie. We'll have to see if it's ready.

9. bighara

bighara Chevalier

oooo! Amber!

I've got the rulebook and read it, but never played. I'm afraid I'd just screw the game up for everyone else, but it does sound intriguing!

10. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Oh I doubt you'd do that and I'd love to have you join the game. Especially if your a fan of Zelazny's work.

11. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Dr Who was a blast. I played a Gallifreyan, Dr. Smythe, that had a spock-like paralysis/knock out move called the spinal tap and had a rank 7 (I think) in disruptor pistol and no other combat skills whatsoever. I ended up building a robot army to battle Daleks- the CCCP but I'll be damned if I can remember what that stood for. Good memories! I am glad you are running it at Gary Con this year.

12. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

You are right! During game conventions, here in Udine, I'm the one called to get involved foreign gamers.

:lol:
    The same for my mother, she learned Italian from TV/radio and from practice, the only language she knew in the early 60s was a dialect called "Friulano"

13. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I loved the original CoA, and have read it multiple times. I never read the later ones, though.

14. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

I can't commit to a room this far out and I have a must-go-to con in July in Texas and I'm driving. No more planes for the mage. Anyway, I still have this on my radar so anyone up to share a room with the old goat?

15. mark

mark Spellbinder

Will the hotel restaurant be open this year?

16. Melf

Gary Con is occupying the Lodge from Thursday through Sunday this year. The Lodge will be 100% committed to us during that time. The restaurant area will be gaming space (like last year). We are coordinated a special Gary Con menu to provide sustenance for all attendees. And we will be selling Gary Con cups for soda and beer specials again as well :D

17. mark

mark Spellbinder

Thanks. I wonder how big a space the PF games will require? We're getting close to capacity downstairs, at least during the prime gaming hours.

18. Melf

Space is getting tight Mark, you are right. It is great that Gary Con is growing, it means that gamers are having fun and telling their friends about it. I think we have some options still available to us this year at the Lodge to handle growth. Depending on the event submissions and pre-reg numbers, we may take half of the restaurant as dedicated event space. We have discussed using a heated pavillion style tent off of the main gaming room in the lower level as an option. And if we require an even larger space, there is a large building a few hundred yards down the driveway from the main hotel building that we can use. Of course the drawback is that we would have to walk or take a shuttle to that building which is an inconvenience.

There is a point at which Gary Con will have to either limit the number of badges available or find a larger venue. We will be posting up a survey on the new website (coming soon I promise!) asking for all of your input so we can continue to make Gary Con an outstanding event.

19. Melf

Mark, I stand corrected. The restaurant will have a small number of tables open for restaurant service. That was a change to the contract from last year. The rest will be used for gaming space.

20. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Hmmmm---that sounds good: I haven't played in a good Amber game in ~15 years.